Anyone consider 830 an upgrade to Icon?

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm not making an argument for the 830 but to qualify as an upgrade doesn't need to be faster just overall better in ones perception or function. So, better battery life, thinner, removable storage and battery, larger screen (yes, despite lower resolution) could be arguments compared to ram, processor, and camera mega pixels that its better. Particularly if memory and processor are overkill and unnoticeable on the WP O/S. For sure the firmware (cyan/denim) will be upgraded, right? Assume WiFi will be of expected range and stability. That was my point, in contrast to pure specs, might it actually be an upgrade. In my opinion, the form factor being thick and chunky, the Icon is not good. In many ways, after 5 months with the Icon, I still consider it at a disadvantage against my former HTC 8x. No doubt many of you will laugh at that comment, but my user experience was way better with the 8x. That phone with 5" of screen would be an upgrade to the Icon based on my use of both devices nothing to do with irrelevant specifications. I don't believe "upgrade" to be a yes/no question that can be so easily discounted based solely on specs. But I don't know anything about be 830 nor have I held one thus the reason for my interest in the debate.

Just being comical but at least you know the Icon is not going to "accidentally" bend... hehe..
Realistically though its user preference.... I like a "stout" feeling phone so the build of the Icon suits me well.... I'd just like a Sd card slot on it... ( I use the camera alot) If at least an Icon equal releases this year (verizon compatable) with SD I'll jump all over that for sure, other than that I'll keep my Icon.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't imagine trading in my Icon for a phone that came out less than a year later, with an inferior display, inferior amount of built in storage, inferior camera, and an inferior processor.

The form factors are different, but really not by much. The 830 is intended to be mid-range model of the 930.

I don't know why I'm arguing this because I understand the principles of ' preference' at play here but...

Are you staying this based on what is on paper? Is that wise? Having used it in real life and not based on what is on paper, what you call inferior is imperceptible. At least to me. I don't base what I like on specs and others opinions (whatever those may be based on). In practical use I don't find one single perceptible area where the Icon is superior to the 830 in my use. Take that back... Ok, carrier availability Icon gets my nod.

Possibly an unfair comparison - 830 is running WP10?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why I'm arguing this because I understand the principles of ' preference' at play here but...

Are you staying this based on what is on paper? Is that wise? Having used it in real life and not based on what is on paper, what you call inferior is imperceptible. At least to me. I don't base what I like on specs and others opinions (whatever those may be based on). In practical use I don't find one single perceptible area where the Icon is superior to the 830 in my use. Take that back... Ok, carrier availability Icon gets my nod.

Possibly an unfair comparison - 830 is running WP10?

Display
Icon: 1080x1920 resolution (441ppi)
830: 720x1280 resolution (296 ppi)

Which device will have a better display? The Icon.

Storage
Icon: 32 GB on board (2048 MB RAM)
830: 16 GB on board + SD slot (1024 MB RAM)

Which device has more accessible memory/storage? Arguably the 830, but I prefer to not have to deal with an SD card and would rather have the 32gb up front. It's more of a preference on this one.

Back Camera
Icon: 20mp, 1080 Video
830: 10mp, 720 Video

They use the same software & image processor. But the Icons hardware is vastly superior.

Processor
Icon: 2.2GHz
830: 1.2 GHz

In speed and manageability, the Icon will always win out.

Yes, these comparisons are all on paper. But the differences are extremely perceptible. The display on the Icon will have a higher resolution. 720p vs 1080p is easily discernible. Especially on something being held in your hand. The difference in the camera is easily discernible as well. And try a speed test between the two devices, the Icon will always come out on top.

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
@gordonfink
Well My Icon is on Straight Talk (verizon lte) Perfectly happy with it and the service. Bought the BYOP kit from walmart... went to set it up online. Kicked out with a error of some sort after entering the access code for the sim. I never even made a phone call to straight talk... I hit up live chat on the straight talk website and was making my first phone call off my Icon in 15min, no special settings, nothing. Just plug the LTE sim in and go. Verizon coverage and lte for $45 a month? I have never looked back... I would never cripple my Icon on another service when native verizon LTE is available at this price. I do not know what the 930 is compatable with for lte but I thought it worked for ATT at least being gsm. I'm actually just trying to learn something new so dont flame on me too hard lol.

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
This thread is going both ways because the topic itself is very subjective. For example if battery life is a concern then yes, the 830 is an upgrade, if gaming is the topic then it's a downgrade, external storage, glance, temperature then upgrade while 1080p to 720p is clearly a downgrade.

To me the 830 is a better overall package (like the 920), 930 beefier specs minus certain features (which for some might be a major turn off), and the Icon - everything at Verizon's mercy

Charles Brown8

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site
If you have any carrier phone in the US you are at the mercy of said US carrier.... Its not just verizon... Yup verizon missed the cyan firmware update... but was first for denim on Icon if i read right. Weird turn around there I admit. Was just courious why the person went from 930 to 830 to get att lte... Have only been reading WPcentral a couple of months ;)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If you have any carrier phone in the US you are at the mercy of said US carrier.... Its not just verizon...
Yes, that applies to CV ROMs too because then you're stuck at Microsoft's mercy for ROM updates. But the advantage of buying a Global version is the ability to flash to another variant ROM if your carrier suddenly stops supporting the phone (hello Lumia 810). I've had my bad experiences with rom updates and carriers so I tend to stay away for carrier variant devices (Icon) that cannot be cross flashed and buy my GSM devices off contract.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon