8.1 developer preview

greyskytheory

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I turned in my M8 for a Lumia Icon since the camera on the M8 was terrible. I got home and I installed the 8.1 developer preview with no issues. Is there any difference between the dev preview and the official Verizon release? Icon owners are very upset with Verizon for not having the update released yet but the dev preview seems to be an easy workaround.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I wish we could get people to fully understand what is going on here.

Dev Preview is only for the OS .... > WP8.1<
Cyan is for the Firmware...... >Hardware Updates, Like the BIOS in your PC<
HTC M8 does not get Cyan, it only will ever have the WP8.1 Updates to the OS only
Unless HTC releases a Firmware update of their Own.

We can have WP8.1 OS through DP, but there are things that are missing that are part of the Firmware that
will make the Lumia's run better with WP8.1, as well as improve much of the hardware (such as Camera improvements)
and Add Features like Miracast and Motion Data and a whole slew of other things.
Lumia Cyan and what it brings to Windows Phone 8.1 and the Lumia 930 | Windows Phone Central

the Icon smokes the M8 in every way possible. It's not even a contest.
Why the Top of the line Device on VZW Network is being side lined like it is, is beyond me.

The ICON IS the Best Device of it's kind Verizon has on their Network.

Everyone needs to start hammering the VZW Forums and calling them about the Cyan Update
It's the only way to get them to listen.

https://community.verizonwireless.com/community/windows

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Not really no. Usually the one from Verizon has the firmware for your specific phone as compared DevPre will just be an OS update. So what you will see is less optimization, possible bugs, etc but that would be due to lack of firmware update. This is rare to happen.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
...the Icon smokes the M8 in every way possible. It's not even a contest.
Why the Top of the line Device on VZW Network is being side lined like it is, is beyond me.

The ICON IS the Best Device of it's kind Verizon has on their Network.

Everyone needs to start hammering the VZW Forums and calling them about the Cyan Update
It's the only way to get them to listen.

Well not every way, the HTC has that microSD card slot...
Even though I would NOT give up my Icon for the HTC M8 for Windows (or how ever it's labeled).

I have an HTC one M8 Android phone for one of the other users on my account and it's an ok phone and it does feel very nice in the hands, but that camera just doesn't do it for me at all. The camera is not the only problem for me, I switched to the Windows phone platform because I could not deal with Android any longer...

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
For your Nokia Icon, no. I believe as of right now Lumia Cyan is currently blocked for your device by Verizon. However to be sure if you could please go to the settings then scroll down to "extras+info" to see what is the last firmware you have. The most latest is Lumia Cyan, the previous one to that was Lumia back; which you may possibly have; and the upcoming future update is Lumia Denim which I don't think anyone has right now.

greyskytheory

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I'm running black. Maybe Verizon will get it together and put out the cyan update or maybe even leapfrog it and out out the denim update instead.

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
You will get Cyan before Denim, that is almost guaranteed however I think the last time someone made note of when Cyan was releasing for their Lumia devices it ranged from October, to November to sometime the end of this year. With that being said, you might have a while before you get the update however with DevPrev you won't really miss out on anything major. To be honest I don't know what the Cyan update does for your phone really.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
You will get Cyan before Denim, that is almost guaranteed however I think the last time someone made note of when Cyan was releasing for their Lumia devices it ranged from October, to November to sometime the end of this year. With that being said, you might have a while before you get the update however with DevPrev you won't really miss out on anything major. To be honest I don't know what the Cyan update does for your phone really.

You need to read my previous post and go to that Link.
Yeah, we are missing out on a LOT of upgrades to the ICON.

NO one knows this for sure, that is 100% PURE rumor and speculation.
There is ZERO information on release date from VZW.

Everyone needs to start hammering and overwhelming the VZW Forums
and calling them about the Cyan Update, It's the only way to get them to listen.

Twitter
@VZWSupport @VZWnews @VerizonWireless
#LumiaIcon #LumiaCyanUpdate

https://www.facebook.com/verizon/timeline

It's time to start turning up the heat.

Right now it seems they care more about the HTC M8 and iPhone6

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I am a 920 user as well as currently an AT&T customer. However the OP would benefit most from this advice. I do know that wpcentral posted an article about the cyan update for lumia devices on VZW.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
This was the Windows phone version of the M8? I have not seen one yet but most seem to say the camera is quite good considering its so low res, and the duel cameras is suppose to have better depth of field although the Lumia's can do just a good a job with software.

greyskytheory

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it was the M8 windows edition and I could not stand the camera. I thought almost all of the pics I took were terrible looking, especially when zoomed in. I'd assume if all you'll do is upload pics to facebook,twitter and instagram it will suffice but it wasn't cutting it for me. My previous phone had an 8mp camera and the photo quality on the M8 was clearly terrible.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
the Icon smokes the M8 in every way possible. It's not even a contest.
Have to disagree with this statement. After using both since release day the one and only way the icon smokes the M8 is with its superior camera. The M8 "smokes" the icon every other which way. In reality. To say every which way the icon is doing the smoking is just flat out not true and spoken like a true Nokia ****** who's maybe doing some smoking of his own.

greyskytheory

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
After using both phones, I feel despite the camera, they're pretty neck and neck when considering performance. I think what may make the Icon "superior" will be the firmware updates to cyan, denim and so forth since they will provide increased functionality. I'm not sure if HTC has any such plans on the horizon. As far as appearance the M8 is much more attractive than the Icon. The only fail for the M8 in my opinion was the camera which was enough to make me part ways with it. Either one of these phones are great. These two phones were my first introduction to windows and i can honestly say I can't see any reason to go back to android 😊

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
They are both great phones indeed. If only the icon would get its updates it would be even better. The M8 IMO does not need any updates unless they help the camera. Being a forum member its impossible to not know about the lacking cam quality going into the purchase. Obviously for some that's a real deal breaker. I wish it were better , but it is what it is and fortunately the rest of the goodness outweighs that drawback . It usually is a balancing act between phone features unfortunately. Glad all my camera shots are daylight and outdoors, the M8 camera does not disappoint under those conditions.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I love all things Windows Phone. Even the new phones from Blu. I would never get one but i appreciate them for making them. I love the feel and design of the HTC M8. Fits in your hand a lot better. The only thing that keeps me on Nokia is HTC is terrible when it comes to support. They are not "all in" with Windows Phone. The only reason they made the M8 for Windows Phone is because Microsoft got rid of the cost of the OS and added on screen buttons. It was easy for HTC.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually the M8 comes with 8.1 out of the box. I'm reasonably certain that there will be an HTC equivalent of Denim when the next OS release is ready. They may not give it a name but I'm certain there will be an official HTC 8.1 that is different than the DP just like Cyan is the Nokia version of 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786