Sanity check: 928 has a compass right?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Nokia.com lists:
Location technologies: A-GPS, A-GLONASS, Magnetometer.

"Magnetometer" is a compass right? I thought I had resolved this, but now, my mapping apps don't seem to see a hardware based compass. Do other people have a hardware based compass recognized in their 928 or is it GPS based compass?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

A few GPS, topo mapping apps.

I downloaded WinPhone Info Free and it reports under "supported apis" that "compass" is not supported.

I'm on the latest version of 8.1DP with the update from last week.

Is anyone else seeing this? Are there any other 928 owners that have a working magnetic compass (not GPS compass)?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
re:

Ok, seems I do have a problem. Looks like I will need to do a hard reset. Ugh...
Isn't there a tool that will do a complete backup just prior to doing a hard reset? Guess I need to find that...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Could location services have been accidentally turned off? Go to Settings -> location

I turned mine off and my compass app still "works" but not correctly.

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I feel your pain. I have had to perform a hard reset on my 928 three times because of this issue. Yesterday, while trying to use the app, Here City Lens, I got the message "Your device doesn't support a motion sensor." Well, on to hard reset #4 and another day wasted re-installing music, videos, pictures & apps.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain. I have had to perform a hard reset on my 928 three times because of this issue. Yesterday, while trying to use the app, Here City Lens, I got the message "Your device doesn't support a motion sensor." Well, on to hard reset #4 and another day wasted re-installing music, videos, pictures & apps.

Are you using the backup tool?

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I use the default backup app under Settings; however, I just use it for settings, IE Favorites, texts and installed apps. I will still need to delete all of the CNN, Weather Channel, & other crap apps I don't use as well re-install my music & photos. Updating Maps take a long time, too.

KCandSunshine13

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
NOTE TO ALL 928 USERS:

If your compass doesn't work, then you probably had a hard hit to the phone which knocked the magnetometer out of whack. I used my compass last weekend and it worked fine. Since that time, I just happened to have my 928 slid across my dash and hit the passenger floor of my car. On Saturday, I tried to use Here City Lens and no dice. A hard reset and now it works once again. Just on observation...

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I resorted to doing a hard reset as well. Prob not a bad idea since I had 200MB free space left.
I've installed and uninstalled hundreds of apps. It's fresh now.

And the reset cleared up the compass issue. Of course, the backup doesn't see the backup I did JUST before resetting it so now I'm stuck reloading everything and setting up again by hand. Sigh...

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
I just noticed my compass is no longer working. The last time I used Here City Lens was a month ago, now it says I don't have a motion sensor. I have def. dropped the phone: while sprinting, it fell from my armband, crashing on the asphalt (only has minor damage on three corners, and this is without a case!)

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed my compass is no longer working. The last time I used Here City Lens was a month ago, now it says I don't have a motion sensor. I have def. dropped the phone: while sprinting, it fell from my armband, crashing on the asphalt (only has minor damage on three corners, and this is without a case!)

Hope you didn't dent the asphalt too badly. ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre