According to Rogers, Canadians will NOT be getting the Lumia 830

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
So, I just got off the phone with a Rogers representative.

I asked them about the Lumia 830 and the representative told me that Rogers will no longer be receiving the Lumia 830.

Not only that but Rogers is beginning to discontinue the Lumia 1020 and will only be selling the Lumia 635 from now on. The representative then tried selling me an iPhone 6 or "Samsung phone".

Does anyone have any news on this? Are Canadians no longer getting this phone?

Apparently there will only be one Windows Phone available for Canadians from now on and that's the Lumia 635.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
MSFT doesn't give a crap about Canada or they would sell Windows phones on their website unlocked. It is not like Rogers is going to sell them - I still remember when the L920 launched and the guy in the store had no freaking idea what I was talking about (I ordered online, even that was a freakshow). My L920 is on Rogers, but I would switch from Rogers for a new phone - unfortunately no other carrier in Canada will support the platform either. I guess I am cool with that, but definitely NOT with the lack of support from Nokia / MSFT - I might buy an unlocked One M8, L930, or L1520, but I will never have that option from MSFT itself - forced to go online and pray to the Amazon / EBAY gods and hours of searching which bands are supported by which carrier. As an aside, does anyone remember when Apple was rumored to be looking at buying a carrier for lack of support for iPhone? There's a message there - MSFT should stop trying to please carriers - they're just not that in to you - sell your phone direct, and if sales take off they will beg you to launch with them. As for the L830 I was sort of interested as an "upgrade" from my L920 as I am on Rogers (I freaking love my L920, by the way, and would never become an iDrone, despite their endless emails to "upgrade" to some Android or iPhone) - but what I really want is:
1) L1520 mini (5", maybe 5.5")
2) Sony Experia Z3 for Windows
3) HTC One M8 with a normal, decent 12-20MP camera.
Otherwise I will be using this L920 a LOOOOOONG time....

Sorry about the vent - I am desperate for an upgrade an Rogers is pissing me off - I am not surprised by your message

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Your post is really refreshing. I thought I was the only Canadian going crazy about this. Microsoft Canada is doing an awful job at marketing not only their phones but their desktop operating systems as well. I guess a 33 million population market just doesn't seem appealing to them. Even the Microsoft stores at Square One and Yorkdale are cringeworthy. They lack the high end phones!

Liam Wong

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I read an article on mobile syrup saying the 830 is launching on October 8th for $400 outright. Usually they're pretty accurate with this kind of stuff.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Rogers have the dummy units ready for when the phone is released so I don't know what that rep must have been talking about. He/she was probably trying to make a sale to you at that moment.

I also read the article today that says it will be released for $400 outright on October 8th so it is coming next week.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: According to Rogers, Canadians WILL be getting the Lumia 830, and TELUS too!

I got a Rogers agent on live chat today: he confirmed the Lumia 830 is coming to Canada on October 8th, for $400 off contract.
He also confirmed you can get it unlocked from them, for a price (didn't say how much, I suspect $50 ish or more).

I also spoke with a TELUS agent on live chat today - my current carrier: they confirmed the Lumia 830 is also coming to TELUS sometime in October, but they could not provide a date, price or available colors.

Both Rogers and TELUS offer the same $55 1Gb/unlimited Qc calls/text/etc. I'm slightly partial to TELUS, for no other reason that my account is already there and switching for the exact same offer is just a hassle. I can bear to wait a few more weeks, if they offer the L830 for about the same price.

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Just called, Fido, Rogers and Telus again. They all told me they're not getting the Nokia Lumia 830.

In fact, Rogers told me that Nokia is going out of business and Rogers won't be carrying their phones anymore. (Pretty sure Microsoft isn't going out of business)

The Fido rep said that I should maybe call back in a couple months and the Telus rep told me that I should buy a Samsung Galaxy S5.

I then called Bell and the rep told me that they don't have it, but then took the initiative to check if they have it as an upcoming phone and told me that it's coming in a couple weeks!

Anyone else find it so distressing how so many Canadian carriers don't know what phones they're getting? It's pretty annoying and it makes it very difficult for the consumer. No wonder Windows Phone isn't popular here! Even the reps at Rogers can't comprehend that there are more platforms than just iOS and Android...

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Like I said in another thread, front-line employees are the last to know. And it's always "hit or miss" if you'll get a competent agent.

In fact, I'd bet good money that if you had called each carrier about the iPhone 6 prior to its general release you would have received the same type of experience.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Just had a chat with a clueless chat agent : he confirmed the $399 price, but couldn't confirm the phone was available today, nor check any store inventory.

So I called up a Rogers store: a clueless clerk couldn't tell me when they would have the phone in stock, only that they didn't have it now. He kept referring to the "Lumina 835", I had to set him on the correct search path for "Lumia 830". Obviously, this clerk has zero knowledge about this handset, and that it was to be released today...

Way to go Rogers. Way to go.

neville1355

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Just received a tweet directly from official fido that they do not offer the 830:
​"Hi there Jordan. We do not offer the Lumia 830. You won't find it in our stores. In the Lumia lineup, we have the 635. ^sc"

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Would any other Canadians be interested in making a WPCanada blog detailing the current status of Windows Phone in the Canadian markets while at the same time keeping carriers accountable for the kind of BS they pull?

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I was just in a store in the London area, and they didn't have any on display . They did have a 1020 still on offer though, which I thought was funny since those arn't on their website anymore.

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Just called Rogers again. Still no news on the Lumia 830 (Or as they call it, the Lumina 830).

The guy then tried to see if I wanted to purchase an iPhone. This is getting ridiculous. Looks like no "Nokia Lumina 830". He did however tell me that there were "other android phones" as well. I had to let him know that it's a Windows Phone.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
With how clueless these employees are maybe rebranding to Microsoft Windows will actually eliminate some of the confusion/ ignorance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire