01-30-2015 04:06 PM
52 123
tools
    So, I just got off the phone with a Rogers representative.

I asked them about the Lumia 830 and the representative told me that Rogers will no longer be receiving the Lumia 830.

Not only that but Rogers is beginning to discontinue the Lumia 1020 and will only be selling the Lumia 635 from now on. The representative then tried selling me an iPhone 6 or "Samsung phone".

Does anyone have any news on this? Are Canadians no longer getting this phone?

Apparently there will only be one Windows Phone available for Canadians from now on and that's the Lumia 635.
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    09-30-2014 08:08 PM
    MSFT doesn't give a crap about Canada or they would sell Windows phones on their website unlocked. It is not like Rogers is going to sell them - I still remember when the L920 launched and the guy in the store had no freaking idea what I was talking about (I ordered online, even that was a freakshow). My L920 is on Rogers, but I would switch from Rogers for a new phone - unfortunately no other carrier in Canada will support the platform either. I guess I am cool with that, but definitely NOT with the lack of support from Nokia / MSFT - I might buy an unlocked One M8, L930, or L1520, but I will never have that option from MSFT itself - forced to go online and pray to the Amazon / EBAY gods and hours of searching which bands are supported by which carrier. As an aside, does anyone remember when Apple was rumored to be looking at buying a carrier for lack of support for iPhone? There's a message there - MSFT should stop trying to please carriers - they're just not that in to you - sell your phone direct, and if sales take off they will beg you to launch with them. As for the L830 I was sort of interested as an "upgrade" from my L920 as I am on Rogers (I freaking love my L920, by the way, and would never become an iDrone, despite their endless emails to "upgrade" to some Android or iPhone) - but what I really want is:
    1) L1520 mini (5", maybe 5.5")
    2) Sony Experia Z3 for Windows
    3) HTC One M8 with a normal, decent 12-20MP camera.
    Otherwise I will be using this L920 a LOOOOOONG time....

Sorry about the vent - I am desperate for an upgrade an Rogers is ******* me off - I am not surprised by your message
    09-30-2014 09:23 PM
    Your post is really refreshing. I thought I was the only Canadian going crazy about this. Microsoft Canada is doing an awful job at marketing not only their phones but their desktop operating systems as well. I guess a 33 million population market just doesn't seem appealing to them. Even the Microsoft stores at Square One and Yorkdale are cringeworthy. They lack the high end phones!
    10-01-2014 10:44 AM
    I read an article on mobile syrup saying the 830 is launching on October 8th for $400 outright. Usually they're pretty accurate with this kind of stuff.
    Joe Dubya likes this.
    10-01-2014 10:54 AM
    Rogers have the dummy units ready for when the phone is released so I don't know what that rep must have been talking about. He/she was probably trying to make a sale to you at that moment.

I also read the article today that says it will be released for $400 outright on October 8th so it is coming next week.
    10-01-2014 11:22 AM
    According to this article, it will be avaible in Canada next week.

Lumia 830 to launch in Canada via Rogers on October 8

Lumia 830 to launch in Canada via Rogers on October 8
    10-01-2014 08:40 PM
    I got a Rogers agent on live chat today: he confirmed the Lumia 830 is coming to Canada on October 8th, for $400 off contract.
    He also confirmed you can get it unlocked from them, for a price (didn't say how much, I suspect $50 ish or more).

I also spoke with a TELUS agent on live chat today - my current carrier: they confirmed the Lumia 830 is also coming to TELUS sometime in October, but they could not provide a date, price or available colors.

Both Rogers and TELUS offer the same $55 1Gb/unlimited Qc calls/text/etc. I'm slightly partial to TELUS, for no other reason that my account is already there and switching for the exact same offer is just a hassle. I can bear to wait a few more weeks, if they offer the L830 for about the same price.
    anon(5340442) and ShaneRay like this.
    10-01-2014 09:47 PM
    Just called, Fido, Rogers and Telus again. They all told me they're not getting the Nokia Lumia 830.

In fact, Rogers told me that Nokia is going out of business and Rogers won't be carrying their phones anymore. (Pretty sure Microsoft isn't going out of business)

The Fido rep said that I should maybe call back in a couple months and the Telus rep told me that I should buy a Samsung Galaxy S5.

I then called Bell and the rep told me that they don't have it, but then took the initiative to check if they have it as an upcoming phone and told me that it's coming in a couple weeks!

Anyone else find it so distressing how so many Canadian carriers don't know what phones they're getting? It's pretty annoying and it makes it very difficult for the consumer. No wonder Windows Phone isn't popular here! Even the reps at Rogers can't comprehend that there are more platforms than just iOS and Android...
    10-03-2014 07:34 AM
    Like I said in another thread, front-line employees are the last to know. And it's always "hit or miss" if you'll get a competent agent.

In fact, I'd bet good money that if you had called each carrier about the iPhone 6 prior to its general release you would have received the same type of experience.
    10-04-2014 08:32 AM
    Today is October 8th. The phone is still not available from Rogers.
    10-08-2014 07:22 AM
    Just had a chat with a clueless chat agent : he confirmed the $399 price, but couldn't confirm the phone was available today, nor check any store inventory.

So I called up a Rogers store: a clueless clerk couldn't tell me when they would have the phone in stock, only that they didn't have it now. He kept referring to the "Lumina 835", I had to set him on the correct search path for "Lumia 830". Obviously, this clerk has zero knowledge about this handset, and that it was to be released today...

Way to go Rogers. Way to go.
    grantlandrice likes this.
    10-08-2014 09:48 AM
    Just received a tweet directly from official fido that they do not offer the 830:
    ​"Hi there Jordan. We do not offer the Lumia 830. You won't find it in our stores. In the Lumia lineup, we have the 635. ^sc"
    10-08-2014 10:35 AM
    Aargh, THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING.
    10-08-2014 11:15 AM
    Would any other Canadians be interested in making a WPCanada blog detailing the current status of Windows Phone in the Canadian markets while at the same time keeping carriers accountable for the kind of BS they pull?
    grantlandrice likes this.
    10-08-2014 11:17 AM
    I have heard that it will be out on the 9th
    10-08-2014 11:48 AM
    I have heard that it will be out on the 9th
    ​From where? The only news source that reported it listed the 8th as the release day.
    10-08-2014 01:08 PM
    10-08-2014 03:18 PM
    I was just in a store in the London area, and they didn't have any on display . They did have a 1020 still on offer though, which I thought was funny since those arn't on their website anymore.
    10-08-2014 03:53 PM
    Just called Rogers again. Still no news on the Lumia 830 (Or as they call it, the Lumina 830).

The guy then tried to see if I wanted to purchase an iPhone. This is getting ridiculous. Looks like no "Nokia Lumina 830". He did however tell me that there were "other android phones" as well. I had to let him know that it's a Windows Phone.
    10-08-2014 04:11 PM
    With how clueless these employees are maybe rebranding to Microsoft Windows will actually eliminate some of the confusion/ ignorance.
    10-09-2014 08:06 AM
    With how clueless these employees are maybe rebranding to Microsoft Windows will actually eliminate some of the confusion/ ignorance.
    Maybe but probably not. The exact same problem happened several years ago with webOS. Unless your phone ran android or iOS they didn't care, nor had meaningful incentive to care. No amount of education will fix lazy.
    10-09-2014 08:45 AM
    Agreed. I laugh at the garbage coming out of many reps mouths when I overhear conversations in stores. So many are too lazy to educate themselves on the products they are selling. The misinformation is so bad. I would hope that people would have more pride in what they do but I guess not. 😞
    10-09-2014 08:59 AM
    Problem is that same MobileSyrup "source" previously said the release was Oct. 8th.
    We are now Oct. 9th: still no word that the 830 is available at Rogers, and their site still has no reference to it.
    The tweets and FB messages from Rogers all say the same chirpy thing : release date is unknown, but soon(tm).

I call bull on MobileSyrup's "source".

They'll probably just update that release date every day until it's actually available.
    10-09-2014 10:32 AM
    Problem is that same MobileSyrup "source" previously said the release was Oct. 8th.
    We are now Oct. 9th: still no word that the 830 is available at Rogers, and their site still has no reference to it.
    The tweets and FB messages from Rogers all say the same chirpy thing : release date is unknown, but soon(tm).

I call bull on MobileSyrup's "source".

They'll probably just update that release date every day until it's actually available.
    I've tweeted MobileSyrup to validate their claims yesterday and today and was met with radio silence. Their credibility takes a plunge with this one.
    10-09-2014 10:34 AM
    Since Bell and Telus are getting it on the 15th, I guess it's safe to assume at this point that Rogers will get it on the same date as well since it's not an exclusive. Looks like Mobilesyrup's sources were wrong.

Rogers is getting it, we just don't know when.
    10-09-2014 11:31 AM
52 123