Do you still love your ICON?

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I haven't posted much recently but I remember lurking around this site often last summer and eventually creating a profile so I could learn more about, and post about, the upcoming Lumia ICON.

Over a year has passed and my question to everyone who has one is....do you still love it?

I purchased mine on release day and I can honestly say I still do. It looks gorgeous (white) in my hand. He's still quick as hell....especially when I'm in Verizon's sweet spot and getting data faster than I can consume it! Not to mention only a few days ago (September 2014) I was told I always have such "fancy phones" or "wow, what kind of phone is that?"

Sure, the conversation doesn't always end up perfect. For instance the "wow, what kind of phone is that?" iPhone user turned her nose up at it as soon as I said, "It's a Windows Phone." but I know I planted a small seed of doubt.

So what have you everyone? I ask that you be constructive in your criticism but for the most part I want to know what else everyone loves about their ICON.

Go for it!

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Great to hear, I will be getting one in December if something better doesn't come out. How about the size and feel in your hand I'm coming from a 822 using it one handed is great.

Greg Hartman

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I upgraded from a Lumia 822 to an Icon, and there are several notable differences.

? Weight: The 822 has an all-plastic case so it's significantly lighter. The Icon is larger and heavier with an all-metal enclosure.

? Corners: The 822 rounded-edges are more comfortable when holding the phone for extended periods of time. But for me, I really like the chiseled look of the Icon corners. Never the less, both are very usable with one hand.

? Style: The 822 never got a compliment on looks. The Icon however has a high-quality premium look and feel, and continuously gets attention and compliments.

? Performance: By comparison the 822 is slow, though it didn't seem it when it was my primary phone. The Icon is very fast and very responsive.

Bottom line: The Lumia Icon is awesome!

PS: I also recommend the Lumia wireless chargers for the Icon. I liked it so much, I bought the charging plate cover for the 822 as well.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Love the Icon. I would like to go to a phablet and have zero options on Verizon but that has nothing to do with the Icon... It is a great phone. My biggest surprise is the durability, especially the screen. I do not use a case (though I am careful with it) and it still looks great. I purchased it on release day.

Joseph Anthony2

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I still love my icon. Thinking of switching my WHITE VERIZON backing out for the green back in the other thread though. Don't know why did didn't just give the US cool colors too.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
still love my Icon! If I was to get a new phone right now, it'd still be the Icon.

About Verizon and colors... Verizon is about mass appeal. Americans go bland. black, white, and silver for everything. check out cars on the road. always black, white and silver. in fact, if you pick a color, it reduces resale value of the car!

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The phone itself... Great. Other external factors such as still no official Cyan update, not cool. Picked up a gold iPhone 6 as well, tired of certain apps being unavailable. Plan on keeping the Icon though as Nokias name won't be on phones much longer and I bought this phone new. Feels like a collectible.

The Icon btw feels great in the hand. Better than when holding an iPhone in my opinion. I always use a case, currently a black Incipio feather case, I have the white Icon.

I'm continually disappointed by the front cameras capabilities. Selfies (dumb as that word may be) are more and more important and the Icon has unacceptable lag and the end results are blurry compared to flagship iPhone and android models. Hopefully Lumia Denim update in 2016 when the Icon gets it will fix that.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the input on the icon I know for sure it will be icon all the way, and yes Greg Hartman it will have wireless charging, i done it with my 822 also.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Great to hear, I will be getting one in December if something better doesn't come out. How about the size and feel in your hand I'm coming from a 822 using it one handed is great.

It actually is a bit big as far as I'm concerned and also slippery, I ended up getting a skin for it. I admit the upcoming 735 is appealing to me as it has SD card support and a removable battery and is just about the perfect size.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I still love my Icon. I've had four, count em, four family & friends switch to an Icon since I have. It's such an incredible phone.

And you're right about the design being eye catching. I've received so many compliments on my white Icon. The most notable being the dude at Chipotle who complimented my phone, said he was planning on getting one as soon as his upgrade was up, and then he scooped double meat on my burrito! And, no, he was not hitting on me. He may have been hitting on my phone, though.

I'm sure i'd be just as happy with the NL 1520.3 on AT&T. And I'd be even happier with my Icon if Verizon would release Cyan already.

But there's still no doubt in my mind, this is greatest piece of technology I have ever owned.

16valve

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Just got an Icon last week upgrading from an 8x. It's pretty slick. Much faster. The screen and camera amazing. On the downside it's heavy and big (for me, I'm getting used to it). Also, really disappointed with the weak speaker and vibration.

After always hearing how much better Nokia's were compared to HTC, I'm surprised by things missing my 8x had. Nokia apps are great, but can't believe there is no Nokia flashlight (HTC has one!). Also, where's the notification light that says it's charging or fully charged?!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I still love my Icon, but not as much as I thought I would. When the Icon was launched I thought "Oh a 1520 but in a manageable size! That's exactly what I want!" but after months of using the Icon, I can honestly say I want the 1520 more than ever! The Icon feels so close, some small things I would like to change. But not a day goes by without me wishing it were the 1520!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I still love my Icon, but not as much as I thought I would. When the Icon was launched I thought "Oh a 1520 but in a manageable size! That's exactly what I want!" but after months of using the Icon, I can honestly say I want the 1520 more than ever! The Icon feels so close, some small things I would like to change. But not a day goes by without me wishing it were the 1520!

I'm in the exact same boat. I used to think that the 930 was the ultimate WP8 because of it's size. But now i'm seeing the 1520's design, display, and battery life. And i'm thinking to myself, maybe an extra inch isn't such a bad thing.

If it was an easy transition for me from Verizon to AT&T, I would have purchased a 1520.3 and made the switch already.

Surmisation

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Just got an Icon last week upgrading from an 8x. It's pretty slick. Much faster. The screen and camera amazing. On the downside it's heavy and big (for me, I'm getting used to it). Also, really disappointed with the weak speaker and vibration.

After always hearing how much better Nokia's were compared to HTC, I'm surprised by things missing my 8x had. Nokia apps are great, but can't believe there is no Nokia flashlight (HTC has one!). Also, where's the notification light that says it's charging or fully charged?!

That was my upgrade path as well.

I still miss the notification LED. The speaker does suck. The weight, you get used to and wind up preferring.

This is a durable phone. It's still intact despite several drops. Thick GG3 with properly engineered curvature.

performing lumia

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I love my icon as well. The Nokia here drive is good for turn by turn directions and the camera is good. Like someone else mention the updates is what's lagging. If I haven't DL the preview for developers I wouldn't actually know or see how the update looks and feel on the icon. Otherwise the icon is a very smooth running device.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad to see everyone else still loves their phone as much as I do.

What got me wondering about it was all this new iPhone 6 talk. (Nice phone, I'm not here to bash it) Anyway, I'm usually jealous when everyone else is getting new toys and started wondering what might be in the works for Verizon as far as new Windows Phones etc and realized I'm not too concerned about it.

However, I agree with many of you. The Icon is not perfect but it hit's the nail on the head in so many ways. That said, if a 1520 predecessor were to come out on Verizon I'm sure I'd own it in a heartbeat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786