What the flip is this?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Well all the comments on the article completely agree with you.

The English in the post was not very good. Poor grammar and obvious iPhone bias.

There are three things the iPhone has on Nokia WP. Apps and a better panorama app and processing software.

There are some features that iPhone does well and some that are a bit questionable.

Paul Stasik

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Ugh, this should be filed under "How not to write a review" - there's so very little objectivity in reviews these days. It's either by brand loyalists or larger organizations like CNET and PC Mag being bought off.

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
"Moreover, the phone incorporates a camera hump on the back side which would not allow user to keep it flatly on the desk."

Ohhhhh snap!

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
You got to think hardware wise, the Nokia camera is better, can do 4k video recording iphone is not able to at all. When you do a compare table between the two the iphone gets decimated bigtime, funny how a 1 year old phone beats it!

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Please stop! You cannot compare the 1520(which should have been recalled for defective screen issues) with it's outdated hardware with the IPhone 6+.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1520 VS iPhone 6 Plus: Comparison of Price & Design | Argyll Free Press

Am I the only one who just thinks this is completely inaccurate and biased to iSheep?

The article is indeed subject to bias, but most experts would still agree that an iPhone 6 is better than the Lumia 1520. Just saying.

Snapdragon 800>outdated hardware.

Check your facts.

The Snapdragon 800 used in the 1520 was outdated at launch, there was a slightly more powerful variant used in phones like the Nexus 5. Since then a Snapdragon 801 and 805 has been released, so yes it is outdated.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
The article is indeed subject to bias, but most experts would still agree that an iPhone 6 is better than the Lumia 1520. Just saying.

Experts, right. Let me know when the almighty iphone can record sound in directional Dolby digital, videos in 4K (upcoming), wirelessly charge or expand its storage. All these features the 1520 has over the iphone will be ignored by your "experts" but every teeny iphone feature is claimed to be "revolutionary". Sorry, the iphone is way less advanced than the 1520, and not better in any way when viewed objectively.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Experts, right. Let me know when the almighty iphone can record sound in directional Dolby digital, videos in 4K (upcoming), wirelessly charge or expand its storage. All these features the 1520 has over the iphone will be ignored by your "experts" but every teeny iphone feature is claimed to be "revolutionary". Sorry, the iphone is way less advanced than the 1520, and not better in any way when viewed objectively.

I'll admit that no phone is perfect and the 1520 will obviously have advantages over an iPhone.

But all in all, experts weigh the pros and cons of devices to come out with what devices are better.

The iPhone may not have 4K nor the same sound quality you would find on a 1520 but does the 1520 have 1080p 60 FPS recording or 720p 240 FPS slow-mo? And according to actual tests it has been shown that the iPhone beats the 1520 in camera quality, despite having a lower resolution camera. Oh and does 1520 have phase detection autofocus?

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/C...-LG-G3-Lumia-1520-Xperia-Z2-HTC-One-M8_id3805

In addition to this, last year's iPhone 5S beat the Lumia 1520's processor in benchmarks and real time, so obviously the iPhone 6 beats it as well.

http://m.windowscentral.com/benchmark-lumia-1520-and-iphone-5s-win

Plus another revolutionary thing about the iPhone is the SOC. On paper it seems like a simple 1.3 GHz processor but it performs like a beast, it doesn't throttle and Cyclone-enhanced (Apple's *custom architecture) is solid and about 3 years ahead of the competition.

All Qualcom SoCs throttle, because of the high clock speeds on big.LITTLE architecture. What is still dumbfounding is that even the most obsessive spec warriors can't discern what lower clock, smaller core number beating higher clock, larger core number means..

Also Apple has taken steps to ensure that games on iOS look even more stunning with the new Metal API, also a step ahead of Windows Phone.

I'm not an iSheep, but I'll give credit where credit it due and I would definitely prefer an iPhone 6 over a 1520, and most experts would too and they would have logical reasons for doing so.

philhachey

Banned
Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
It's a reference to the original article that the op is referring to.

I dont know what is funnier. The articles blatant bias. Or the fact that no one even bothers to read it, and comment appropriately.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
A dual core 1.4 GHz is not faster than a quad core 2.2 GHz.

Either you know very little, or none at all.

While on paper a 2.2 GHz should smoke a processor that's clocked at a lower frequency, that's not the case.

The Snapdragon 800 processors, and generally divide power between four or more weak cores which together may or may not beat an Apple A7 or A8 processor depending on the variant.

Unlucky for Nokia users the 1520/930/Icon used a slightly weaker 800 SOC, that couldn't even beat last year's Apple A7 clocked at 1.3 GHz.

http://m.windowscentral.com/benchmark-lumia-1520-and-iphone-5s-win

And this year's Apple A8 is obviously bound to beat the 1520 as well.

But apart from this, phones like the Nexus 5 that used a slightly higher clocked Snapdragon 800 did indeed beat the iPhone in benchmarks but couldn't beat in real time performance tests. And this is the case with all Snapdragon 800 SOCs.

Qualcomm claims that these processors can attain a maximum of 2.2 or more GHz on all four cores, but it can barely do this for a few minutes.

Whereas the Cyclone Enhanced architecture(20 nm process also included) that Apple has used in the extremely powerful Apple A8 chip can run at full 1.3 GHz for a very long time, without showing signs of thermal throttling. Thus it beats 1520 in benchmarks and real time tests.

Understand?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
And as I stated before, the real advantages of the 1520 are ignored while specs are bandied about as the only real measure. Why would I give up recording in Dolby digital for a minor bump in performance that in reality makes no difference? Or wireless charging? Or easy expandable storage? Just to open an app a few milliseconds faster?

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
And as I stated before, the real advantages of the 1520 are ignored while specs are bandied about as the only real measure. Why would I give up recording in Dolby digital for a minor bump in performance that in reality makes no difference? Or wireless charging? Or easy expandable storage? Just to open an app a few milliseconds faster?

people downplay app speed a lot. you start to notice those milliseconds when you're playing with your phone for a few hours a day (which may not apply to you).

take the iphone's screen latency for example. sure, just a few ms quicker, but it's damn noticeable after using it for a bit compared to android or wp devices.

speaking of screens, the iphone's appears much closer to the glass, which looks a lot cooler in my opinion.