[BLU Win HD] Initial Thoughts!

Jonathan Darby

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
This is my first review so It won't be the most detailed, but I will do my best. I have had the phone for two days now.

Build Quality: For being a plastic phone it is very sturdy. No creaking from the back cover. I was amazed at how thin and lightweight it is after having used a 920 for most of the past year. Speaker is loud, but is tinny sounding. Its not a bad speaker just nothing to write home about.
Performance: This is what everybody is wondering about with only a Snapdragon 200 and a 720p screen. As expected there is some frame drops when playing games and scrolling can be stuttery at times. I don't notice any issues with scrolling when on the start screen, but when scrolling through the full list of apps there is definitely some choppiness to it. None of this makes for a bad experience, but it is noticeable when coming from a 920. The quad core 1.2ghz processor does make for faster load times of apps than with my 920 though. Switching between apps is fast. Subway Surfers which seems to be very taxing on many phones loads fast. The biggest plus for me is that Xbox Music seems to actually work great on this phone. Scrolling through the app is fast and there isn't resume issues like there was on my 920. For me it is like night and day between the 920 and this phone when using Xbox Music, but that may have something to do with me not having the Cyan update on the 920 when I was using it on developer preview.
Camera:Nothing special here. In fact this is probably my biggest disappointment. There isn't any zoom when using the camera and the maximum video recording is 864x480. Pictures tend to be washed out. Its not a terrible camera though. I've used a 520, 820, and 920. It falls in between the 520 and 820 for me in terms of picture quality. It does have a flash which allows for taking night shots unlike the 520. It also has a front facing camera which is a plus. I don't use the ffc much, but it is nice to have.
Battery: Haven't gotten a good read on this yet with only having it for two days, but it seems to be performing pretty well. It easily blows my 920 out of the water and I'm pretty sure I could get two days of moderate use out of it. I think not having LTE has a sizable effect on battery life.
Other: It is nice to have an unlocked dual sim phone. Data can only be used off of sim slot #1 though so I don't think this has much use for me here in the U.S. One plus of it being unlocked though is I can use internet sharing though without having it blocked by ATT.

Overall I would say it is a good buy for $179. I really like the size of the phone and wish there was more 5 inch Windows phones out there. It is also a great bonus that it comes with a case, headphones, charger, and 2 screen protectors. If you are looking for a good camera this probably isn't the phone for you though.

bigas

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
For someone who never writes reviews, you nailed it your very first time.

You missed nothing here. Of course there'll be some questions but I bet they will be specific ones.

I'm a BLU Win JR owner and I don't understand the video camera advertising: I can't shoot 720p and you can't shoot 1080p. So how come their selling points includes these resolutions? Or have we found some software issue?

Please as some comments about battery life when you feel so.😃

Enviado do meu dispositivo m?vel.

Jonathan Darby

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently going on a day and a half on the same charge with 40% left. This is with moderate use; web browsing, facebook, twitter, about 30 minutes talk time, and probably 30 minutes of gaming. I've emailed Blu about the video recording issue and hope to hear back next week.

Qiyamata

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Snapdragon 200 doesn't support video playback above 480p I heard. I was going to get the Win HD to upgrade my 521 but maybe not now. Can you watch a video on YouTube in 720p and let me know if it stutters? Thanks.

bigas

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm currently going on a day and a half on the same charge with 40% left. This is with moderate use; web browsing, facebook, twitter, about 30 minutes talk time, and probably 30 minutes of gaming. I've emailed Blu about the video recording issue and hope to hear back next week.

I'll email them too, need to know where they saw this HD recording option.

bigas

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Snapdragon 200 doesn't support video playback above 480p I heard. I was going to get the Win HD to upgrade my 521 but maybe not now. Can you watch a video on YouTube in 720p and let me know if it stutters? Thanks.

On my BLU Win JR, using this very same SoC, I can't reproduce 720p YouTube videos. But, in my case, it's not necessary.

Jonathan Darby

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Starting to think I might be returning this phone. Definitely can't play HD videos on it. Such a shame that if they would have put a snapdragon 400 in it and sold it for $200 it would be an awesome phone.

mskovrinskie

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
I like the phone overall as a backup or weekend phone. Side by side with my 1520, the CPU perf comparable. The gpu definitely is not with some jumping when scrolling - just not as smooth. The camera is OK but can't compare to 1520. It is certainly better than low end cameras like the 520/635. Outside pics are good. Low light tends to blur easily with motion. The screen quality is pretty good. Bluetooth in my car is more reliable than my 1520 with Cyan which tends to skip. The touchscreen does go wonky when it is plugged in (less sensitive). The lack of LTE is a step down and only covering 2.4ghz wifi is problematic for my house with competing access points.

For the price, I think this is a great phone. Of course it wont be perfect when comparing to a pricier, high end Nokia, but what you do get for $179 is pretty good.

danielm298

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
got mine today !!!!! im a big windows fan so when i saw the BLU i had to get one, i can truly say that this is a real nice phone: please dont compare it to a Lumia, because there is no comparison. The BLU is a nice budget windows phone, ive only had it for a few hours but i can see this phone being real popular for those on a budget. Nice size screen, very light ( and yes it has GPS) still playing with the apps it can and cant run. i do know that you cant take a screen shot-havent figured it out yet- it shows the dual sim notification, camera isnt that bad at all. its not as glitchy as some have said. so far I LIKE ALOT!! im a fan of skinny phones ( had the Ativ s..nice phone) im not going to put 8.1 dp on it: because if i do and i lose things, i cant revert to go back like the Nokias..if you have any questions ..hit me up..this will be my daily runner: i have in my drawer ( lumias!!! 625,925,1020)

Huffya

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
I just got the phone. I'm pretty happy with it overall especially for the price!
but since I changed over the sim card into this phone my number comes up as a restriced number when I call everyone. Anyone have this issue or know how to solve it? thanks!

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this is the same thing, but there is a setting where your can control the displaying of your number.

All settings > application > phone

Here you can set your number to display to everyone, nobody, or just those on your contact list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss