So if I get a Lumia 930 for AT&T USA, how will I get the Denim update?

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm assuming that even with an unlocked phone, the carrier is still responsible for rolling out updates? Technically AT&T USA doesn't offer the Lumia 930, is it possible that if I import a Lumia 930 for use on this network that I'll be stuck with Cyan (or whatever comes with the phone)?

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The update will roll out based on the region the phone is from. With an unlocked phone the carrier will have no control over the updates. For example, I have an unlocked 930 based off of France. Whenever the update is available to the france region phones that's when I get the update. I'm on the TELUS network in Canada. They're usually pretty good with the with the windows phone updates from what I've experienced (started my WP journey from them with the optimus 7) but they wont have anything to do with the 930 since they never offered It. I also had a tmobile 710 which I had to get unlocked but since it was carrier branded I was under the mercy of the carrier for any updates.

Just to clarify, carrier branded phones that are unlocked later I believe are under the mercy of the originating carrier. Unlocked phones that are not from any specific carrier will get the updates as they are rolled out based on the region it is from.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The update will roll out based on the region the phone is from. With an unlocked phone the carrier will have no control over the updates. For example, I have an unlocked 930 based off of France. Whenever the update is available to the france region phones that's when I get the update. I'm on the TELUS network in Canada. They're usually pretty good with the with the windows phone updates from what I've experienced (started my WP journey from them with the optimus 7) but they wont have anything to do with the 930 since they never offered It. I also had a tmobile 710 which I had to get unlocked but since it was carrier branded I was under the mercy of the carrier for any updates.

Just to clarify, carrier branded phones that are unlocked later I believe are under the mercy of the originating carrier. Unlocked phones that are not from any specific carrier will get the updates as they are rolled out based on the region it is from.

You got it! Updates have nothing to do with the carrier you're currently using, or your location. Updates are based 100% on the version of the ROM on your device.

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Oh that's great info to have. Thanks!

Hmm I wonder how to tell where my 930 originated from? I'm considering the RM-1045 being sold on Expansys USA.

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
You got it! Updates have nothing to do with the carrier you're currently using, or your location. Updates are based 100% on the version of the ROM on your device.

One more thing. What about firmware updates? These are based on the ROM on your device too?

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Go to -> Settings -> extras+info and look at "Mobile Operator".
You'll see something like "000-HK" (Hong Kong in this example).

:)
Fred

Oh that's great info to have. Thanks!

Hmm I wonder how to tell where my 930 originated from? I'm considering the RM-1045 being sold on Expansys USA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte