[HTC M8] 8.1 concerns?

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I recently got the HTC and have some questions.
First, I have noticed that with the HTC and Icon, when I send a picture via text some people dont get the picture? Why?
Second, on the Icon if I opened up a link from FB to watch a video the video would play full screen. On the HTC it plays it on the web page, doesnt go to full screen. I have to pinch zoom to make the video bigger. Why?
Third, Is there a video player that I can use thats better than the one installed. I can only FF in increments of 30 sec. I want one where I can scroll to any part of the video. This is really annoying and wish they would have addressed it in 8.1.

Cannt think of anything else right now, but I will say that the guys over on the Icon forum are wanting 8.1 and I dont see that big of an improvement, atleast not for the thing that I use the most.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Well its been a month now with the HTC and i must say I am not impressed. Against my better judgement I went with HTC over the Icon, hell I went to WP over Android or Apple for a 3rd time. I thought 8.1 was going to be this pot of gold at the end of the rainbow since everyone over on the Icon forum was going to die if they didnt get 8.1, look what happen to the Icon, shame. Anyways my FB still SUCKS. Now I am not your typical FB guy. I dodnt post every min of my life on there, I dont post at all. I do look at my friends post and some interest pages I have. You would think MS would have this working right by now. I just saw that clown from MS saying they are closing the gap on apps to Google and Apple. Yeah, so what, the apps suck anyways. They are limited and dont work right when compared to their competitors apps. What good is it if you have 1 billion apps if they are all half ***. Google and Apples app store does have MANY useless apps, which is why they are big, BUT the main apps that most people use are full featured and way better than WP apps. Not to mention there are apps i still want that will probably not make it to WP.
Cortana, what can I say. She isnt Google or Siri, thats for sure. I find that I have to repeat stuff to her and the search results are not that great, then again its using Bing search. Also I cannt see Bing searches in landscape. So if I am in landscape and return to my Bing search it goes to portrait, so I find myself flipping the phone over and over. Really MS, you could make Bing in landscape mode.
Maps, well they suck. I went on a trip this weekend and my wife has a S5, holy hell, I forgot how great Google maps was. Runs smooth, doesnt open up another app for voice directions, better directions, it just works.
I still get the random reboots, HTCs problem, but I think they wont fix this anytime soon. Sometimes when I wake up my phone it takes me back to my last opened app even though I was in the home screen. Still no quick search on the phone dial pad. You either have to know the number or go looking for it in the contact list. And whats up with the contact list now not displaying contact info. Now i have to go to people to get info on any of my contacts. So if I am taking to someone and they ask me for a persons number I have get out of the phone screen to my home screen, swipe over to my list, go to people, find the contact. How *** backwards was this MS.

I like WP's, dont get me wrong. If the Icon had 8.1 it would be better than the HTC, **** I think its better now. But MS and WP are lacking alot over Android and Apple. I know there is no perfect phone, I just wish MS would invest time and money into WP. There is a ton of stuff that Android and Apple phones do, which I miss, that MS still hasnt integrated into there phones. I remember the Cortana promotion videos, I wasnt amazed, now that I have it it still doesnt amaze me. Its sill behind Google and Siri.
I think this is why VZW doesnt show importance to WP, they are just lagging behind. I wouldnt put it pass them if they dropped WP all together. They dropped the Icon and aside form it not having 8.1, to me its a better phone than the M8.
Now I have to decide on which phone to get, not WP thats for sure. I know i will get ALOT of pissed off people on here now but it is what it is. I am not brand or OS loyal and I call it like I see it. If WP where at the same stage as Android with everything, kinda like Android and Apple I would keep the WP. I just cannt see WP catching up anytime soon.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, the guys over on the Icon forum where acting like this was a life or death situation if they didnt get 8.1. I knew better though. I also got the HTC because my dad was on T-Mobile and his contract was up. So I gave him my Icon and got the HTC just to see what all the hype was about. And as it turns out it was just that HYPE!!!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Like I said, the guys over on the Icon forum where acting like this was a life or death situation if they didnt get 8.1. I knew better though. I also got the HTC because my dad was on T-Mobile and his contract was up. So I gave him my Icon and got the HTC just to see what all the hype was about. And as it turns out it was just that HYPE!!!
It really is.

Don't get me wrong, Windows Phone 8.1 is a good update to have but the funny thing is most people were fine with windows phone 8 before we got 8.1 and most people are using DP on the icon.

People in the M8 forum would have you think because it has the official update for 8.1 it suddenly makes the Icon a lesser device(It's one of their main arguments lol) and it really doesn't. I'd be more curious about Windows 10(or windows phone 8.1 update 2) coming to the M8 than I am about 8.1 for the icon.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I dont see MS doing a big leap foward anytime soon. Like I said as it is they are way behind Android and Apple. I wish they would setup their game to the same level as the other 2, but thats not going to happen.
Another big issue I have that I forgot to mention is IE. It just plane sucks. Also no apps to replace it that are worth a damm.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I dont see MS doing a big leap foward anytime soon. Like I said as it is they are way behind Android and Apple. I wish they would setup their game to the same level as the other 2, but thats not going to happen.
Another big issue I have that I forgot to mention is IE. It just plane sucks. Also no apps to replace it that are worth a damm.

I actually don't mind IE. Although, I have a Surface for serious browsing. On my phone, it is perfectly fine to me. The OS is definitely behind Android and Apple and it is sad really but ehh, I am not surprised. I am used to it by now.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, mobile IE sucks hard.

I'll reserve judgement until Windows 10.

If it doesn't make massive improvements by then, I'm out.

Which is sad, because I really want to like Windows Phone.

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes, mobile IE sucks hard.

I'll reserve judgement until Windows 10.

If it doesn't make massive improvements by then, I'm out.

Which is sad, because I really want to like Windows Phone.

I dont think I want to wait that long. It will probably be just like 8.0 to 8.1, little changes nothing major. And yes it is sad because I too like my WP.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Same thing on my 925...If I text a pic to iPhone, a lot of time they don't get it.

I am on Tmobile and hopefully getting rid of 925 this weekend for the M8 ;)

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I had that problem with my L925 on T-MO didn't mater if I sent it my wife WP or my daughters Iphone. But when we got the 8.1 update last week that all changed and I'm having no issues with sending photos in text

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I keep getting random reboots on the M8. I thought that if I let a app or a window open in the back ground it wouldnt reboot but it still does. This is BS, and I am not waiting around for IE10, for what more empty promises, no thanks. The OS to me is the best as far as how it just works right out of the box, but the lack of features which should have been in 8.1 has turned me away. I dont have a lot of apps but damm at least make the most popular apps just as good if not better than the competition. And my main thing is IE, and its garbage.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting random reboots on the M8. I thought that if I let a app or a window open in the back ground it wouldnt reboot but it still does. This is BS, and I am not waiting around for IE10, for what more empty promises, no thanks. The OS to me is the best as far as how it just works right out of the box, but the lack of features which should have been in 8.1 has turned me away. I dont have a lot of apps but damm at least make the most popular apps just as good if not better than the competition. And my main thing is IE, and its garbage.
That honestly may be your M8 as I don't have reboots on my 1520(nor does the bf on the Icon). I think you mean Windows 10(not IE 10...I am almost sure WP is on IE 11 lol).

What apps are you using that aren't that great as their Android/IOS counterparts?

pursuit2550

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I have 2 credit unions that the apps arent available on WP but are on Android. Capital One CC. BB&T Bank. American Express, Discover cards. Credit Karma, see the picture. Widely used apps that WP doesnt have, no excuse for this to happen. Like I have said, I am not into FB but I do check it once -twice a day to get some laughs. With that said, FB sucks on WP. Some times it will only load a couple of hours back. When I click on a link to watch a video it wont make it full size. It will show it on a small box that on the web page. I have to physically make it full screen, it wasnt like this before, WP went backwards with that. Also what is it with the video player. I can only FF in 30 sec intervals, how messed up is that. And if I down load a different video player app I cannt make it the default player anyways, so whats the point of having them in the app store.

scotiez

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I think HTC One M8 Windows phone is the best phone I have ever had. Its also my 1st windows phone. I started out with the HTC Incredible on android and it totally sucked, traded the phone for an IPhone after just a few months. Android and IPhone can only sync with your home computer through what ever cloud base that OS is using, and it sucks. After getting my windows phone I was immediately impressed how well the phone worked with my home computer and laptop. I change something on a word file or one note and when I open it up on a different device its already changed, and these are files I do NOT have in One Drive. I for one would rather do my banking from my home pc or laptop and only use my phone to view to see if a transaction had gone through. As far as no apps for your banking you can look it up on IE and if you want fast access you can book mark it or PIN it to your start screen. What ever I need fast I have pinned to my start screen and it works great.
As for the HTC One M8 It is by far better then my HTC Incredible that I had and I feel it is better and works smoother then my iPhones I have had. No device is going to be perfect as everyone's needs and wants are different. That's why there are so many other choices out for you to choose from. You just have to decide what is more important to you as for which operating system and device you want. I for one would rather have something that works great with my home computer and laptop. I for one could careless about the apps as I can find what I want with what I have in the windows phone operating system just fine. Most people need to learn there phone and stop the Negative energy just cause they can't find an app. If you learn the windows phone operating system you can access anything really fast if not faster then having an app for it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think HTC One M8 Windows phone is the best phone I have ever had. Its also my 1st windows phone. I started out with the HTC Incredible on android and it totally sucked, traded the phone for an IPhone after just a few months. Android and IPhone can only sync with your home computer through what ever cloud base that OS is using, and it sucks. After getting my windows phone I was immediately impressed how well the phone worked with my home computer and laptop. I change something on a word file or one note and when I open it up on a different device its already changed, and these are files I do NOT have in One Drive. I for one would rather do my banking from my home pc or laptop and only use my phone to view to see if a transaction had gone through. As far as no apps for your banking you can look it up on IE and if you want fast access you can book mark it or PIN it to your start screen. What ever I need fast I have pinned to my start screen and it works great.
As for the HTC One M8 It is by far better then my HTC Incredible that I had and I feel it is better and works smoother then my iPhones I have had. No device is going to be perfect as everyone's needs and wants are different. That's why there are so many other choices out for you to choose from. You just have to decide what is more important to you as for which operating system and device you want. I for one would rather have something that works great with my home computer and laptop. I for one could careless about the apps as I can find what I want with what I have in the windows phone operating system just fine. Most people need to learn there phone and stop the Negative energy just cause they can't find an app. If you learn the windows phone operating system you can access anything really fast if not faster then having an app for it.
Aw i liked my Droid incredible. It's a shame they butchered a line with its sequel.

The droid eris, incredible, evo 4g, sensation and amaze are HTC best phones they ever made. Not a fan of the m8 design compared to their original devices of the early android days

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077