630 and GPS

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am thinking of buying a 630.

Could I ask about using GPS standalone on the 630. Can it be used without a sim card?

The specs for the phone say it has AGPS which is internet assisted GPS so I am confused as to what this phone is capable of.

What are your experiences with using gps on the 630?

Thanks,

Last edited:

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
as far as i know GPS works on flightmode also ....
so it should work without a sim.

hey its 630 right :)

excellent gps ...

locks in in less than 10 seconds !

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
So why in the specs does it say that the 630 has a-GPS and it does not say anything about GPS. Is it a mistake in the Nokia 630 specs?

Last edited:

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20141005_0001.jpg

i dont know how to explain this anymore ....
see the green dot ? that means GPS is locked on !
i have offline here maps
and the phone is in flight mode (no wifi)

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
So why in the specs does it say that the 630 has a-GPS and it does not say anything about GPS. Is it a mistake in the Nokia 630 specs?

a-GPS means that GPS can also work with network based location
network assisted GPS
however the GPS works fine without any network
It means that it can work both ways ....
in some places its hard to get the satellites

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Then it is misleading.

A-GPS means assisted GPS which requires an internet connection. The specs give no indication A-GPS in this case means GPS and A-GPS can work separately in the same phone. No-where in Nokia's description of the 630 does it say this.

anon8959613

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Then it is misleading.

A-GPS means assisted GPS which requires an internet connection. The specs give no indication A-GPS in this case means GPS and A-GPS can work separately in the same phone. No-where in Nokia's description of the 630 does it say this.

Not at all misleading if you have read the full description
fddfdfgdgfd.jpg

It used GLONASS and BeiDou as well

GLONASS compatible receivers can acquire satellites faster than devices that rely on GPS alone.

So the three of them working together can get a lock on without a network !

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
No, it says A-Glonass which is assisted Glonass.

I agree that the three of them working together can get a quick lock on with the internet. But without the internet connected we are left with BeiDou.

So, one would have to assume that it uses BeiDou to locate without the internet connected.

The specs make it unclear as to what the phone uses to get a lock on without the internet. That is the whole point of my original post!

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I accept that it works without internet but it really annoys me that Nokia have not clearly defined what location technology they are using.

For instance. This phone (Samsung S6500 Galaxy Mini 2) in its spec has listed a-GPS and it cannot use mapping functions without the internet. . So what am I as a potential buyer meant to think. "Oh, the 630 cannot use mapping functions without the internet." Nokia are loosing out on a big selling feature of the phone because of confusion in how they define their specifications.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos