Anyone upgrade from 925 to 1020? Or should I wait (with hope) for the 1030?

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I have been using my 925 for a year, while I like it's metallic slim design, however, the low night photo quality advantage over the other smartphone is not as good as it claimed one year ago, as seen from report against the iPhone5S and iPhone6.

4 way flagship phone camera shootout: Nokia 808, Lumia 1020 and 925, Galaxy S4 Zoom

After checking the above web, I see the huge difference between 925 and 1020. Photo quality is important to me especially with the zoom function.

Should I wait for 1030 or just grab a 1020 now?

Any similar users can share their experiences?

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi !

I was facing the same decision about 4 months back ! I held a 920 before, which was my first Windows Phone. I came from a Nokia N8 (good days, good days.) Anyway, coming from an N8 naturally made me unsatisfied with the camera on the 920 (don't get me wrong. The 920 camera is good. But it isn't that good compared to the N8, but thats for me personally). I waited for the 1020 to come out. And took me quite a while to get it (don't know why tho). Anyway, after using the 1020 for around 4 months, I can say that the camera is fantastic. The 41MP on it is still something to behold, and photo qualities are fantastic. Another perk is that the Amoled on the screen of the 1020 really shines. Colors are vibrant, and text is sharp ! However, one thing about the 1020 is that the hardware is kind of starting to show its age. Don't get me wrong on this, WP8.1 still functions smoothly and whatnot, apps still run perfectly. When I mean it is showing its age I mean that many of the new features that Nokia is pushing out (see Lumia Denim for example) cannot run on the 1020 (due to its older processor). But aside from that, I think if you are really into photography and would not mind the slightly older, but still fantastic hardware of the 1020, I would say go ahead and get it. If you are waiting for a successor, be prepared to wait. It has been said before here in WPCentral that the 1020 will still get a successor, but not so soon. You see, unlike Flagship phones (think 930, 1520), niche phones (phones that cater to a specific market) like the 1020 do not get refreshed on a yearly basis. They will refresh it maybe every 1.5 / 2 years ? If you are really prepared to wait for the successor, than go ahead. Otherwise, I would recommand you to upgrade to the 1020. It is really worth the price for it. Really.

P.S, if you are thinking of getting better make your decision quick. There was a news article published a month ago saying that they will stop manufacturing the 1020 soon !

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
hey thanks for the constructive feedback.

I know how good the AMOLED Black looks like as my 925 has one. I was worrying that the 1020 will be gone and not out of stock, meanwhile I do not know how long it would take the 1030 to come out, or even coming out. Sorry but I dont quite trust MS these days in the way of the product development being delay and delay.

I might want to go to get a 4-3 or entry level DSLR, so I want to make sure I have a camera phone that can compensate my DSLR. Tough decision. Any news when the 1020 will not be produced anymore?

I might able to get a 2nd hand 1020 for 200 Euros, thats like 180 USD. Good deal?

Last edited:

Zwwel

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I actually got a 1020 after having a 925. I really wouldn't call it an upgrade. It's the EXACT same phone. Same hardware, same screen, same CPU, same GPU, same everything except the camera (of course), and the casing. I am EXTREMELY happy with the phone, it performs wonderfully, photographs are out of this world and I consider it a huge step up from the 925.

In my opinion, when the 1030 or whatever it is called comes out, it will retail for close to 700eur with 930 specs and a slightly better camera than the 1020. I think the biggest improvement on that camera is the amount of physical space it takes on the phone. For slightly more than what I sold my 925 for, I got the absolutely best camera on a phone right now, and the second-best camera on a phone in 3-6 months time. Just do it, if photography is your thing you have no idea how much better the photographs are, and I'm saying that as someone who thought the 925 camera was fantastic!

bsmithphoto13

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I did that exact jump 925 to 1020 and am glad I did. IMHO it feels better in hand, looks better and the photographs are amazing. I highly suggest doing it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05