08-30-2016 03:32 AM
82 1234
tools
    I bought an international RM-984, L830 off of ebay. I needed that aluminum edge, the black ATT version looks too generic for my tastes. I also enjoy not seeing anything with the ATT brand on my phone, from the back cover to the start-up screen.

I am coming from a 1020. In fact, I've been using Windows Phone exclusively since the day it debuted. Fun fact.

This L830 is a quantum leap forward in many ways from any other WP I've used. I think this generation's phones are the first true masterpieces of WP. They feel right, both ergonomically and software-ily.

My main fear with this phone was the screen. I owned the L920 for a brief time and felt the screen wasn't up to par so switched back to an AMOLED-based phone. Surprisingly, I have zero complaints with the screen. Also, Glance is, of course dimmer, but I think it actually looks better that way.

With the screen issue out of the way, everything else is a major step-up from the 1020. The 1020 always felt a but sluggish. The 830 seems nimble. I am sure that storing everything on the SD card will help as my 1020 would get bogged down with massive DNGs.

Speaking of photos, I have yet to shoot anything. Mind you, I am a professional filmmaker, so I have amazing cameras to play with and don't expect much from a camera phone. I will shoot some stuff once it isn't sub-zero outside and post some images. I am sure it'll be fine for what I use a cameraphone for.

I was on the fence about whether to stick it out with the 1020 until W10 dropped. I read/watched about 50 reviews before pulling the trigger and buying the 830. It's still early, but it appears I made the right choice in buying this to hold me over until W10. Hell, I may even upgrade this to W10 and keep going if MS doesn't release anything truly drool-worthy.

If you're unsure and have the funds, pick up this phone.
    boomerz, danz14 and dharmababa like this.
    11-19-2014 02:55 PM
    Got my 830 last night. The ATT store only had one. I ported my number from T-Mob, so will get 150 credit on the phone which brought the cost down to $300. It also came with the FitBit, but I want the MS bracelet, so will probably sell the FitBit.

After doing advanced adjustments on the display settings, (turning up color temp, tint, and color saturation, all to about 3/4 made whites to look as white as the 920, and made colors pop), I'm very happy with the phone. Since my 920 was 2 years old, this seemed like a very reasonable upgrade. I love the light weight and the feel of the phone in the hand. It's so cool looking with the lime green back, and dark metal frame, I may not even put a case on it. I really can't tell any difference in the screen from the 920, and the speed of navigation seems as good or better.

One downside that I haven't read about anywhere else is that quite a few of my apps couldn't be loaded on the phone because of the different screen resolution. A few of these were apps I used a lot, like iHeart Radio. Hopefully these will be updated to handle the new phone.

I also love being able to say it has a bigger screen than the iPhone6!
    11-20-2014 08:19 AM
    Strange about iheart radio. It works fine on my 830.
    11-20-2014 09:38 AM
    I bought my 830 on the day it was released in the US, November 7. I find service at AT&T stores to be uneven, sometimes it's great, other times not so much. So, I went to a Microsoft store, they made it easy and the service was excellent. There was some confusion because I have one of AT&T's grandfathered unlimited data plans and they were having trouble figuring out how to port that to the new phone. As an apology for the trouble they gave me 50% off a 2-year extended warranty. $49 as insurance against breakage - hooray! I didn't want to buy a case and this gives me the peace of mind not to do it. (I did buy a screen protector, though.)

I have never owned a windows phone. Years ago I had a Palm Treo, hated it, and since then had iPhones, the 3Gs and then the 5. No particular problem but I did get tired of the superiority complex of the Applesphere and the planned obsolence of the software upgrades. Also the "it just works" business isn't true. I have a Mac Mini that has been rendered almost useless by the OS X upgrades, and an Apple TV that I really like but is always losing touch with the iPad and Mac. Several of my coworkers use windows phones and I had played with them, really liked the interface, plus I think the Lumias are attractive devices, so I dove in. Hey Microsoft - I'm coming home!

So, observations - I love the interface, I think it's much easier to see than the tiny icons and tiny fonts used on iPhone. It's attractive, fluid and intuitive. I like the degree to which I can customize my home screen. There seems to be a lot of griping about the 400 processor but so far the operation of the phone has been smooth and trouble free for me. I'm not a gamer though. Have done a little photography with satisfactory results, haven't had time to put it through its paces yet. The quality of the camera was a main selling point for me as opposed to the HTC One (M8), though. I like the convenience of the Qi wireless charging. I bought three PowerBot Qi charge plates on Amazon for about $15 each, have one at work, one in my kitchen and one in my bedroom. My apple headset with microphone works great, the WiFi and Bluetooth performance have been strong and trouble free so far. I like the HERE Maps interface although a few times it took me on routes I wouldn't have chosen. If I were app driven I probably wouldn't have chosen windows phone, but for my purposes the available apps are generally fine. I've had a few frustrations with getting my iTunes music library onto the phone, I'll probably post about this separately. I'm delighted that the phone accepts a 128 gb micro SD card but very frustrated that I can't put the downloaded HERE maps on it. I like that the maps can be downloaded though - my Garmin may never get used again! I noticed other commenters' observation that the home, search and back buttons at the bottom of the screen don't always light up - I've had the same problem but it's not much of a problem.

So, two weeks in, I'm very happy with the phone and have no major issues with it.

PS - The Fitbit Flex fitness band that came with the phone has been fun to use, and now that I have one I notice lots of people using them. I used the Lose It! app on my iPhone, which isn't available on Windows, but the Fitbit app paired with the band is better by far anyway.
    Last edited by Basiluzzo; 11-20-2014 at 03:36 PM.
    11-20-2014 02:15 PM
    I'm delighted that the phone accepts a 128 gb micro SD card but very frustrated that I can't put the downloaded HERE maps on it. I like that the maps can be downloaded though - my Garmin may never get used again!
    Download "Lumia Storage Check Beta". It has an option to store maps on the SD card. Very strange this hasn't been built into the base OS yet.

Lumia storage check beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Likwidz and longcipher like this.
    11-20-2014 02:47 PM
    Download "Lumia Storage Check Beta". It has an option to store maps on the SD card. Very strange this hasn't been built into the base OS yet.

Lumia storage check beta | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    I tried that when I first got the phone and it appeared to simply prevent me from downloading maps at all. However, now I understand the phone a little better, it could have been user error ... I'll try again and report back. Thanks!
    11-20-2014 03:31 PM
    Dropped my phone 10 meters down the stairs, twice ! I wa ls really drunk.
    Apart from falling apart and few scratches, everything works. Tough phone!
    dharmababa and Sonu K like this.
    11-22-2014 09:11 AM
    10 meters of stairs?! Glad your phone survived it well, bodes well for 830 owners.
    11-22-2014 09:43 AM
    Ok maybe 5 meters. But it took forever....step by step down the road... :) I was suffering .
    But it is insured anyway so I don't really care.
    I do that few more times and maybe then the glad will break, finally. And then I get a new one :D
    11-22-2014 03:21 PM
    I really wanted to have this pureview Lumia which is one of the last to carry Nokia Logo. But unfortunately This doesn't have a dual sim version!
    When will we have a pureview Lumia with Dual sim slots. ?
    I have a 630 currently, but i'm greedy about the camera quality of 830
    11-23-2014 03:07 AM
    Side-graded from an HTC 8X and it's thumbs up so far. Device feels more substantial in the hand, though the sharper edges take getting used to.

The rear facing camera is leaps and bounds above the 8x and even the front facing camera outdoes the 2 mp wide-angle.

Being a Lumia, it works with Here Drive better. I had constant freezing on the 8X.

Very few hiccups, though the capacitive back and search buttons can sometimes be unresponsive.

I have the Black version and can't wait to get the green back plate.

One-handed use can sometimes be problematic due to the 5 inch display, but it's manageable.

Battery life is about 50% better than my 8X ever was. I can get over a 24 hrs on moderate use without having to charge.
    tpbklake, danz14 and Basiluzzo like this.
    12-06-2014 04:06 PM
    Guys I read all of your beautiful reviews of 830, now please tell me is worth to go for this phone. I am migrating from L620
    karan madhyani1 likes this.
    12-09-2014 06:23 AM
    Guys I read all of your beautiful reviews of 830, now please tell me is worth to go for this phone. I am migrating from L620
    To me, absolutely. It has every feature you could want for WP and in a package that is the most aesthetically pleasing of any device on the market. Good camera? Check. Optical Image Stabilization? Check. Beautiful? Check. Expandable memory? Check. Exchangeable back covers? Check. Removable battery? Check. Big enough display, but not too big? Glance Screen? Fluid performance? Check, check, and check.
    12-09-2014 09:43 AM
    To me, absolutely. It has every feature you could want for WP and in a package that is the most aesthetically pleasing of any device on the market. Good camera? Check. Optical Image Stabilization? Check. Beautiful? Check. Expandable memory? Check. Exchangeable back covers? Check. Removable battery? Check. Big enough display, but not too big? Glance Screen? Fluid performance? Check, check, and check.
    I agree with all that. I'm so happy with this phone, which I bought to replace my iPhone 5. Add wireless Qi battery charging, great call sound quality, and a good, loud external speaker.
    hasasimo and gurrala74 like this.
    12-09-2014 11:50 AM
    I agree with all that. I'm so happy with this phone, which I bought to replace my iPhone 5. Add wireless Qi battery charging, great call sound quality, and a good, loud external speaker.
    Absolutely, only phone I've ever come across with better speaker quality was my Lumia 1520, and they're actually quite close in that regard.

Also, forgot to mention very good battery life.
    Basiluzzo likes this.
    12-09-2014 12:46 PM
    I'm a iPhone user since iPhone 3 and I changed to a 830 and I love it! Now I'm wondering...should I change it for a 1520??
    Basiluzzo likes this.
    12-10-2014 07:55 PM
    Wife and I both went with 830 models and could not be happier!
    We are still learning and finding new things with them all the time!
    For us, I think they were the perfect choice!
    12-10-2014 08:52 PM
    Ironically I made my wife bought a iPhone 6 😅 because I used to have iPhones and then I bought this 830 and now I'm telling her to change to windows...anyways let's see what I end up doing.
    12-10-2014 08:59 PM
    Hey guys, thank you for your kind suggestions. I bought a 830 a week back and really enjoying with it. Its really an amazing phone !!
    01-05-2015 06:02 AM
    First day with my new, green 830! Just arrived this afternoon. First impressions:

Style: 10
    Performance: 9
    Build/Feel: 10
    Camera: Main 9, Front 7

Will follow up after I've had some time with it!

Edit: Unlocked RM-985 with LTE on AT&T
    gurrala74 and mark233 like this.
    01-08-2015 08:06 PM
    Guys can you please take read of this review Nokia Lumia 830 review | Phone Reviews | TechRadar

I think some writers REALLY don't know what they're saying, who think this guy is being harsh on the 830?

I surely think he is.

This guy clearly is a Windows Phone hater, reading through his review ,it shows that many persons are just true fanboys .
    01-13-2015 09:52 AM
    To anyone using it currently: Does the 720p resolution hurt on the screen size of this thing?
    01-13-2015 10:24 AM
    To anyone using it currently: Does the 720p resolution hurt on the screen size of this thing?
    Nope, I can barely make out single pixels when I'm 5 cm from the screen and really trying hard.
    Although small text isn't as sharp as it could have been...
    01-13-2015 10:37 AM
    It's good to see that 830 works great with you.
    There's a thread for its issues and it has alot of disappointing reviews
    01-13-2015 10:49 AM
    I haven't noticed anything yet. I have the 1320 which also has a 720p screen at 6", and that one is slightly noticeable. You might notice a difference if seen directly next to a M8
    01-15-2015 11:09 AM
82 1234