[Real Users] My Lumia 830 Review

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I tried a bunch of WP (635 {which I still have as a backup}, 925, 930, 735, 1520, 1020 and 830). I got a 920 about a month ago (after reading some comparions between it and the high powered 1520, and the 920 was faster in a lot of the test) and now, for the last 3 weeks or so, my 830 has been sitting in it's box on a book shelf. :p
The 920 simply eats the 830 for lunch, even with it's older HW.

Fred

Booted up my Ativ S after three weeks and boy oh boy, bottom line, so much for the 830 being a plausible "side-grade", in my case anyways. Until Demin comes to my 830 I won't know if it's the phones hardware or just buggy software, it's not horrible but enough that the quirks become annoying, already did a factory reset with no resolve but one thing that has vanished is the occasional random reboots, have no rhyme or reason as to why... Battery drain/charge issues, screen sensitivity issues, inconsistency in notification sounds at times, slow shutdown, slow camera, resuming issues and so on, own thee WPs with the Ativ S being tops (even with its ailments due to lack of a firmware update), 1020 second and bringing up the rear, my 830, definitely not what I was expecting.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Does the 830 have wireless miracast support?

No, it does not, nor do any other Lumia phones, at least according to wi-fi.org. The Lumia PlayTo app will work for that. I've got the Actiontec Screenbeam Mini2 Miracast dongle coming from Amazon Tuesday. I'll let you all know how my Win8.1 2in1, my Lumia 630 and this Android tab I've got coming work with it. I've got high hopes for this one.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
830 does have Miracast support.

Yo, Wi-Di and Miracast are nearly interchangeable, but the certification isn't present for ANY MSFT(Nokia) phones.

Lumia 830
Screenshot.png

Microsoft Surface 2
Screenshot (3).png

Actiontec Screenbeam Mini2
Screenshot (2).png

Check it out!!

Last edited:

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Users, How Do You Like Your Lumia 830?

How has your Lumia 830 worked out so far as an everyday device.
Also any problems you may have faced with it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Re: Users, How Do You Like Your Lumia 830?

Pretty good. Wish it had a better screen (viewing angles could be better, not so much pixels).

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

love mine, battery life is excellent and my 64Gb sdcard takes the amount of music I need for trips. I like the way it feels and looks, the fact I can change the backplate between orange, green and black. I don't mind having they USB on top. Solid phone.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

How has your Lumia 830 worked out so far as an everyday device.
Also any problems you may have faced with it.

I only have one device! A few months ago I took a deep breath and replaced my iPhone 5 with a Lumia 830. I love it, feels good in the hand, I love the windows interface, and the price was good. Biggest complaints: 1) Still no Denim update to enable the latest Lumia Camera features (at least here on AT&T). 2) Had to go through a crazy workaround to get maps to load on the SD card. 3) Websites can be very slow to render on the screen - I'm hoping Windows 10 with its new "Spartan" browser takes care of this. 4) GPS can be iffy - it drops sometimes and takes several minutes to find the signal again - much less reliable than my iPhone was.

But, I love the phone and when GPS is a big issue I'm using my Garmin anyway. Key differentiators - you've heard this all before: wireless charging, removable battery, SD card, downloadable maps, great camera (even without the latest software).

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

I only have one device! A few months ago I took a deep breath and replaced my iPhone 5 with a Lumia 830. I love it, feels good in the hand, I love the windows interface, and the price was good. Biggest complaints: 1) Still no Denim update to enable the latest Lumia Camera features (at least here on AT&T). 2) Had to go through a crazy workaround to get maps to load on the SD card. 3) Websites can be very slow to render on the screen - I'm hoping Windows 10 with its new "Spartan" browser takes care of this. 4) GPS can be iffy - it drops sometimes and takes several minutes to find the signal again - much less reliable than my iPhone was.

But, I love the phone and when GPS is a big issue I'm using my Garmin anyway. Key differentiators - you've heard this all before: wireless charging, removable battery, SD card, downloadable maps, great camera (even without the latest software).

Cool I wish the 830 came with a better processor though. Like Snapdragon 600 series? Or something since being mid range. Other than that I agree.

Rafa mbz

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site

PS can be iffy - it drops sometimes and takes several minutes to find the signal again - much less reliable than my iPhone was.
Here in my country for the price of a iphone I can buy 1 L 930, a top garmin and a basic motorcycle.

Mirakle

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I totally agree on the processor, for my use, this 830 is slower than the ATIV S S4. just pin the big Cortana live tile and see it stutter like crazy when getting back to the home screen.

shadow118

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded to the 830 a few days ago. Coming from the 620, the performance jump is huge :D Also the jump in battery. Last charged it about 30h ago and have about 20% left, but that's with quite heavy usage, I watched a whole 2 hour movie during that time, also played some games and fiddled a lot with the phone (as it is with new things). With my usual usage, it should easily last 2 full days, probably close to 3 (to early to tell though).
The build quality is great, feels really solid. The rear cover is really flimsy, when taken off, and a bit difficult to put it on, but once it's on, it's on and nothing moves or squeaks. I like the metal side buttons, they have a nice feel to them, maybe a bit on the light side. Also really love the design. Thought that a 5" screen would be too big, but after using it for a bit it's actually not that bad.
Can't say anything much about the camera, because I haven't used it that much yet, but it did come with Denim and Lumia Camera 5.0 (5.0.2.54 to be exact) which is nice.
So far I really like it :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon