Lumia 730 purple tint as well as flickers at the edge of the UI

dedracer

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Just got my Lumia 730. The device is pretty cool but I just noticed that its having purple tint and the UI flickers if you drag down the notification centre down and if you drag the apps in the multitasking screen.UI edges goes in purple colour. Help needed.

dedracer

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
And one more thing bottom of the screen layout is purple tint instead of black and if I change my start+theme colour the edge also flickers in respective colour in the multitasking menu.

billybobteeth

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I've got the exact same problem on my 735, people with 930's have been reporting the same problem as well so it sounds like a software problem, probably to do with the display app calibration. I think Nokia are aware of the issue so an update to fix it will come soon hopefully.

Seasmy

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Some guy at the Lumia 930 forums ( I think ) said to put the year on your phone to something like 2030 and then delete the Display software and it will fix it , Goto the Lumia 930 forums and go see for your self :D

dedracer

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hmm tried this also..didn't worked! I have got my phone only 8 hours ago so I'm going to replace it tomorrow! #Nosh*t

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmm tried this also..didn't worked! I have got my phone only 8 hours ago so I'm going to replace it tomorrow! #Nosh*t

Hey, can you check whether 730 has the option to keep the number of columns of Live tiles( 2 or 3 columns) ? just go to settings => start+theme => show more tiles(on/off)

dedracer

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey, can you check whether 730 has the option to keep the number of columns of Live tiles( 2 or 3 columns) ? just go to settings => start+theme => show more tiles(on/off)

yes 730 do have show more tiles option(on/off) dont worry :)

well, replaced my 730 today. same problem is there with this phone also. purple tint and the edges of tiles goes purple while dragging the screen :| any fix? any 1?

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to know if it actually makes difference in viewing experince? How bad it is? Is this something that you cannot ignore?
Can you post some pictures of the screen showing purple tint?

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Oddly the 735 does not have this option. You can only have 3 columns, there is no option in start+theme.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

well, replaced my 730 today. same problem is there with this phone also. purple tint and the edges of tiles goes purple while dragging the screen :| any fix? any 1?
You need to find a way to video it so that we can see what you are on about.

There is some discolouration noticed on the edges of tiles on my 735, but only when moving around the screen as fast as I can. Its due to the screen being pentile, it needs to activate 2 main pixels for the correct colour to show, which it can't do with the UI moving at high speed.

It hasn't been an issue for me, its barely noticeable on my device. Maybe it is worse on others, which is why we need to see it on action on your phone.

dedracer

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Well I don't have a camera or any other phone to record a video of it. But to be frank the issue is same as 930 had. I tried the trick to solve it as for 930 but didn't worked. And about screenshots I clicked some but when m opening those on computer, cant see purple tint! :/
Most of times purple comes on grey colour. Hope that Microsoft will roll out a update for this! :(

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to update on this. The purple edging to the ui elements when scrolling or panning (I'm assuming this is the issue you are having, and not just a purple tint when not in motion) is only noticeable on my 735 at the lowest possible brightness level. Its barely noticeable at medium brightness, and not visible at all on the highest brightness level.

It doesn't appear at all if the background os white.

Its typical of pentile oled screens. The same happens on the Lumia 925 too.

Last edited:

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the confirmation about live tiles column options, very much relieved to hear this as i use two columns and was worried due to 735 users reporting no such option.

Regarding the purple tint in all phones issue, just use the phone dude, there will definitely be some sort of software update/patch released for this and apart from that you do have one year warranty. You can also try this 930 purple fix : Nokia Lumia 930 plagued by a display issue, easy to fix - GSMArena.com news

Oddly the 735 does not have this option. You can only have 3 columns, there is no option in start+theme.

Yup, it seems the 735 does not have 2 columns option in start+theme, confirmed by Daniel Rubino too. 730 and 735 do have some differences though like:

1. No wireless charging circuit and contacts in 730, so you can't use wireless charging shells like 735 which has the contacts near battery at the bottom.
2. Dual sim in 730 vs single sim in 735
3. Micro Sim cards in 730 vs nano sim in 735
4. EDIT: It seems even 730 does not have 2 columns option like 735 as confirmed by many 730 users. So, only 3 columns possible.

Last edited:

dedracer

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Just to update on this. The purple edging to the ui elements when scrolling or panning (I'm assuming this is the issue you are having, and not just a purple tint when not in motion) is only noticeable on my 735 at the lowest possible brightness level. Its barely noticeable at medium brightness, and not visible at all on the highest brightness level.

It doesn't appear at all if the background os white.

Its typical of pentile oled screens. The same happens on the Lumia 925 too.
Totally agree with you. You just described my exact problem. And yes it doesn't come with light theme and on high brightness mode. May be its a sensor problem. I hope we will get a update for this. Will you please record a video of the problem? Thanks:)

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree with you. You just described my exact problem. And yes it doesn't come with light theme and on high brightness mode. May be its a sensor problem. I hope we will get a update for this. Will you please record a video of the problem? Thanks:)

I doubt a fix will come for this as it's just a hardware quirk of pentile amoled/oled displays. My friends Lumia 925 displays the exact same behaviour.

It's one of those things which you either notice or you don't. Personally I don't find it to be a problem whatsoever.

I have tried to video it, but it doesn't show up at all in the video, probably because I can only record at 30fps whereas the screen on the phone is refreshing much faster than that.

Maybe you should send it back and wait for a phone with an IPS LCD, like the Lumia 830?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa