Icon still worth buying?

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Even though I'm bummed about the retirement of this phone, I still think it's a fantastic device and I'll continue to use mine with the 8.1 Developer's Preview for the time being.

I agree as well. I moved up from the 928 when I heard the Icon was coming out, though it was in June when I upgraded. Was on AT&T for over 10 years but having had to move to the mountains AT&T lacked where Verizon came up. But I love the screen size, resolution and and processing speed.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I've had the Icon since it came out. It's a great phone. But don't be afraid to look at the HTC M8. The camera isn't that bad, unless you want to blow up the photos to large size. And the wireless charging isn't really an issue because the battery on the M8 runs circles around the Icon. The M8 screen is not as good outside, but it's sleek, fast, has official 8.1, some cool apps and IR for remote, and a microsd card slot. To answer the question, if I were getting a new phone today, I would not get the Icon and would get the HTC.

mrhappi79

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Up until a couple months ago I would have said it was worth getting. But the more I used it and say how apps paled in comparison to Android and iOS along with performance issues, the more I thought about leaving WP. The promise of 8.0 kept me holding onto my Icon but the fact that it was delayed is what made me switch. I now have an iPhone 6 and although iOS 8 does need a bit a polishing, it's nothing compared to the things the Icon needed. Now it looks as though Cyan will never come to the Icon.

So in short I would say it's not worth it. If you want to jump on or stay on WP I suggest getting a phone that has Cyan already.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Nope. It's a great phone, but why spend good money and possibly get into a two year contract with Verizon when they can't be bothered to show the courtesy to update users on the situation. It's not worth the risk unless it's picked up off contract and at a good price. A lot of people say it's fine on dev preview, and for the most part it is unless you want to use bluetooth LE and have decent wifi. Wifi on the latest dev preview has been diabolical, sad having it sat by my 928 which is at full signal while the Icon pretty much has no signal.

If someone is dead set on a windows phone device and out of contract they really should consider going to AT&T or possibly T-Mobile. Otherwise you'd be much better off picking up a different device that has more promise of receiving updates and ongoing support.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed with both Verizon and Microsoft for having nothing to say on the matter. It'd also be great to get an update from WPCentral on whether they've heard anything or not.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Just make sure that you pick a T-Mobile phone that AT&T has as well. Then you can use the AT&T firmware if T-Mobile never updates it. Currently they haven't updated anything past black. I've heard of a number of users of the 925 switching the firmware to AT&T with the nokia recovery tool and it worked just fine. The catch is that you lose wifi calling.

Nope. It's a great phone, but why spend good money and possibly get into a two year contract with Verizon when they can't be bothered to show the courtesy to update users on the situation. It's not worth the risk unless it's picked up off contract and at a good price. A lot of people say it's fine on dev preview, and for the most part it is unless you want to use bluetooth LE and have decent wifi. Wifi on the latest dev preview has been diabolical, sad having it sat by my 928 which is at full signal while the Icon pretty much has no signal.

If someone is dead set on a windows phone device and out of contract they really should consider going to AT&T or possibly T-Mobile. Otherwise you'd be much better off picking up a different device that has more promise of receiving updates and ongoing support.

Overall I'm pretty disappointed with both Verizon and Microsoft for having nothing to say on the matter. It'd also be great to get an update from WPCentral on whether they've heard anything or not.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
There is no firmware to flash. If its was the 930 for Verizon, we could flash alternate firmware, but since its the 929 which is exclusively verizon that's not possible. Worse even if we could flash the 930 verizon, it would probably kill the CDMA radio and we would not get 3g or the ability to make calls.

Why not just get your own updates by flashing the Icon and install the appropriate firmware yourself?

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I believe the Icon is still worth buying, especially at the price that you can get it for now. I have a black one that i bought as soon as they came out. I upgraded from a Lumia 928 and couldn't be happier. I am hopeful, as are many, that there will be updates from VZW. I think that a lot of people are in a rush to get the update (Cyan) and are afraid that they will not get them. There has been a lot of talk from some, even, of paying very high early termination fees to switch carriers and devices. I simply wait patiently, because I really like this phone.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Just make sure that you pick a T-Mobile phone that AT&T has as well. Then you can use the AT&T firmware if T-Mobile never updates it. Currently they haven't updated anything past black. I've heard of a number of users of the 925 switching the firmware to AT&T with the nokia recovery tool and it worked just fine. The catch is that you lose wifi calling.
Thanks for the tip. Right now I have the 635, it was a cheap option to be eligible for an etf reimbursement. Trying to decide on either the nexus 5, new moto x (pure edition) or 830 (rm-985). All tough choices, but the androids will be guaranteed prompt updated.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
And T-Mobile will certain update the 810. They wouldn't leave those customers behind.
No I'm not believing it. I don't see Cyan as very likely at this point or they would have already released it. Denim is even less likely. Whatever "E" color they go will is 100% not happening. DP is going to be our only option and it won't give us BT4.0 or the improved camera.

I believe the Icon is still worth buying, especially at the price that you can get it for now. I have a black one that i bought as soon as they came out. I upgraded from a Lumia 928 and couldn't be happier. I am hopeful, as are many, that there will be updates from VZW. I think that a lot of people are in a rush to get the update (Cyan) and are afraid that they will not get them. There has been a lot of talk from some, even, of paying very high early termination fees to switch carriers and devices. I simply wait patiently, because I really like this phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro