Thoughts on using a micro-SD card for my Xbox music library

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

I've currently got a Lumia 1020, but am keen to upgrade to the 930 because my music collection is getting too big. I like the idea of being able to buy a 128GB micro-SD for the 930 and storing my music on there to save space for photos, etc. Anyway I have a few questions and would love to get your input first.

1. Can I store my music library on a micro-SD card and still use the Xbox Music app to play them and purchase new songs? Do I have to take the card out to insert into my Surface in order to copy songs?

2. Is micro-SD slower than internal memory? Will there be a delay or stuttering when loading and playing songs? Can I watch videos off it, or would that be too slow?

3. Is the quad core processor noticeably faster than the dual core on the 1020? Often my 1020 takes forever to resume a task - i.e. e-mails and Word documents.

4. Is the camera ok to use as a digital camera? I travel lots and the main reason I got the 1020 was for the camera. I notice it doesn't have the same flash as the 1020.

5. Also, if I get the 930, what micro-SD card should I buy? Do I need to worry about write / read speeds?

A massive thanks in advance - all feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Stu 😊

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Short answer that blows a massive hole in your plan.
930 doesn't support SD cards, so you're stuck with the 32GB on board.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
But to answer your other questions
1 Yes then No
2 Yes a little, not sure it would depend on the quality and spread of the card.
3 Yes
4 Yes but obviously not as good as 1020
5 Problem

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey Rick, thanks heaps for your reply. Darn it! I guess I'll be sticking to my 1020 for the time being then. What do you mean by 'spread of the card'? Stu 😊

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hahahaha oops didn't check that autocorrect. I meant speed of the card.
I've just had my 930 a week, I'd highly recommend it especially after the update 1.
Photos are of a high quality and the lossless zoom of the 20mb camera is impressive too, a lot quicker loading and taking pictures than I expected too.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
An alternative solution is to get a Lumia 1520. Pretty much the same thing as the 930 (same internals and camera) but it has the SD slot and glance screen capability. Problem is that the phone is pretty damn big with its 6" screen

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
An alternative solution is to get a Lumia 1520. Pretty much the same thing as the 930 (same internals and camera) but it has the SD slot and glance screen capability. Problem is that the phone is pretty damn big with its 6" screen

Thanks for the suggestion Squachy. I'm looking into the 1520. It looks good, but I do lots of jogging, so I'm a bit concerned as to whether it's pocketable. I'm going to make a trip to my local telco to check out the size. I really like the idea of being able to put in a 128Gb SD. 😊

jesusfreak420

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Or get an 830, which I have. I also had a 930 but returned it with too many problems.

:)
Fred

Hey Fred,

Thanks for the suggestion. I love the 830 (especially the vibrant colours), but am wanting a higher res camera too. How are you finding it? Have you been using the wireless charging? I used to have a Palm Pre with wireless charging, and absolutely loved it.

Thanks dude. 👍

Stu 😊

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos