What is next for Icon owners?????

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
My wife has the Icon & I have the 1520. The Icon works great. We have had the Developer Preview installed with 8.1 since it was available and it is still the best Windows Phone on paper that is available. Why so much worry?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, why would someone get rid of their ICON ? The phone works great.... accept for Verizon sucks as a carrier in update status. It still is one of the best Windows Phone devices available.

Verizon has not given an official statement on what they are planning to do here, if it's EOL, or just retired because they will re-release it with Cyan/Denim on it...

If your running the DP, your not really missing too much from Cyan (a firmware update that could fix minor issues), the phone still works fine for the most point. I'd say wait it out, I bet we see some update by mid of next month.

I would wait it out for the next month or so before dumping you ICON...It's still a great phone.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I usually just jump on the newest phone on Verizon anyway. To still be on the Icon this long is because it really is an incredible device. But I've been back and forth, I love the camera on the Icon but I think the expandable storage and better battery life may be enough to make me want the M8

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I went to try and trade in my device online and ICON is not listed under the devices. WTF?

Not to speculate, but this almost sounds like Verizon has completely abandoned it. The 928 was listed under trade ins.

Karpito

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I was at the Hilton Expo yesterday here in Orlando. Went to the VZ booth and the guys there blamed MS. They just didn't care...
Then went to the MS both and spent some time with the guys there. All three of them had Icons and were upset about VZ retiring the device. They said that VZ decided to stop selling it because of low sales (looks like WP are focusing on low cost devices). They said that Cyan is coming but it will be weeks, not days until we get it (they said sometime in November). They also said W10 will run in the icon and we can expected it the 2nd quarter of 2015. I asked why AT@T already got Cyan and the answer was :" GSM is always several weeks ahead..." I didn't ask why T-Mobile doesn't have it yet.

Omar9399

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
My wife has the Icon & I have the 1520. The Icon works great. We have had the Developer Preview installed with 8.1 since it was available and it is still the best Windows Phone on paper that is available. Why so much worry?
The DP has lots of bugs and we didn't got the cyan update yet. That is the problem.

Omar9399

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If your running the DP, your not really missing too much from Cyan (a firmware update that could fix minor issues), .
We are missing a lot. Motion data, living images, brightness slider, etc. And don't forget about the problems we are facing right now, battery 🔋 drain issue, overheating, auto restart, and many more.

kevvan

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
We are missing a lot. Motion data, living images, brightness slider, etc. And don't forget about the problems we are facing right now, battery �� drain issue, overheating, auto restart, and many more.

I know you said many more but some additional ones worth calling out are Bluetooth LE and Sensor Core enablement.

WinPhUser

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
All, I believe this is ripe for a class-action suit. Once I realized that Icon would not be getting the Cyan update and there were several sites from Verizon that said it was Cyan ready prior to buying. The fact that they are discontinuing it after less than a year (with steep discounts), very little updates and almost no support I believe we have been had. The biggest issue I have is that after numerous Samsung's, iPhones, LG's and others, my Icon is truly the best phone I have ever had. Dependable, well-built, fast, incredible camera and the best thing I can say is that it just WORKS and works well!

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
On another thread, someone posted that they have a IT contact at their company who has a Verizon contact, and they were told all updates from Verizon will be out mid- November. They did not have specifics on which devices will get which updates though.

Omar9399

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
On another thread, someone posted that they have a IT contact at their company who has a Verizon contact, and they were told all updates from Verizon will be out mid- November. They did not have specifics on which devices will get which updates though.
Hope icon will be in the list.

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Spoke with a Verizon rep and he said the Nokia rep was in their store and said Verizon has had 8.1 for months and is refusing to release it because of some issues with the firmware and their system that has yet to be solved. Kind of makes sense actually and explains the silence of both Microsoft and Verizon. Microsoft wouldn't want to admit issues and Verizon cant give a date because nothing is resolved. Since the M8 has 8.1.1 its not the software, I assume it may actually be the cyan firmware that is the issue. Anyway, it's irrelevant to me now, I got tired of all this and got a Galaxy 5 yesterday. It is not as easy to use as a WP, but man is it nice to a good music interface for my collection and actual apps with full features.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
If there really was an issue (which I doubt since the 930 works just fine and is almost identical), then they should have told us. Silence is not acceptable.
So I've ordered my 1520.3 and should get it this week. Good bye Verizon and good riddance.

Spoke with a Verizon rep and he said the Nokia rep was in their store and said Verizon has had 8.1 for months and is refusing to release it because of some issues with the firmware and their system that has yet to be solved. Kind of makes sense actually and explains the silence of both Microsoft and Verizon. Microsoft wouldn't want to admit issues and Verizon cant give a date because nothing is resolved. Since the M8 has 8.1.1 its not the software, I assume it may actually be the cyan firmware that is the issue. Anyway, it's irrelevant to me now, I got tired of all this and got a Galaxy 5 yesterday. It is not as easy to use as a WP, but man is it nice to a good music interface for my collection and actual apps with full features.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I will keep my Icon until the contract cancellation fee is tolerable, then I'll move to AT&T and get a 1520....that is unless VZ gets off their azz and gives us Cyan and 8.1 in the mean time. But when it is time to bail, I will go into a VZ store or over the phone to cancel so a living, breathing rep can hear me tell them that after 12 years with VZ, I'm dumping them because their support for WP is atrocious and pathetic. Then I'll post it on their twitter, facebook, and user forums. It may not make a bit a difference or impact to them, but it's about the principle and it matters to me.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Unless Cyan is required for 8.1 to be installed on the Icon, this is still unacceptable. They could still release 8.1 until Cyan gets fixed. And on top of this, retire the Icon but still keep the older, less capable 928? Does not make sense.

sullibr01

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Icon as an updated contract device 3 days ago too. I certainly was hoping for the firmware and Windows updates, but since I haven't read that we're not going to get them, I really don't want to return the phone because I don't see an attractive Windows Phone alternative at Verizon right now. I guess I'm sticking with the Icon at this point and hoping for the best.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I personally believe it is. I've heard of many people having DP issues especially on the Icon. In every single case (except the Icon which doesn't have Cyan) Cyan fixed all the issues they were having.

Also the Icon supports various features that will not work with Black including bluetooth 4.0. Its like having a computer with a CD-Rom drive in the early '90s but you weren't supplied with the CD-Rom driver so the drive is useless.

Unless Cyan is required for 8.1 to be installed on the Icon, this is still unacceptable. They could still release 8.1 until Cyan gets fixed. And on top of this, retire the Icon but still keep the older, less capable 928? Does not make sense.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
"Almost identical" is a big almost. The radios in the Icon and 930 are vastly different and the issue of getting Cyan released is to make sure those radios work on Verizon's network up to Verizon standards. The 930 having Cyan has nothing to do with the Icon not.

blushrts717

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
If the icon wasn't my work provided phone, I'd tell Verizon Wireless to kiss my ***. And I'm not sure if I would stay on windows phone versus a Nexus or Motorola android. You know, the ones there that actually get updates without the carriers holding them up.

Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss