What is next for Icon owners?????

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I suspect the only difference is the radio and the embedded CDMA keys in the firmware. If that's really the case (and I suspect it is) then the 930 is proof that there is nothing wrong with Cyan on the Icon. I'm 99.9999% sure that Verizon is just being an ***. So screw them. I don't even care if my Icon ever gets the update anymore. I'm supposed to get a 1520.3 today and over the weekend I'm on AT&T as a result.

"Almost identical" is a big almost. The radios in the Icon and 930 are vastly different and the issue of getting Cyan released is to make sure those radios work on Verizon's network up to Verizon standards. The 930 having Cyan has nothing to do with the Icon not.

quantum tao

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
If the icon wasn't my work provided phone, I'd tell Verizon Wireless to kiss my ***. And I'm not sure if I would stay on windows phone versus a Nexus or Mororola android. You know, the ones there that actually get updates without the carriers holding them up.
Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk
i keep finding myself looking at motorola myself, a droid turbo mini would be cool.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Actually the iphone is the only one that's guaranteed provided you don't have anything 2 years old. If Verizon doesn't cooperate, no android phone would get updated firmware either.

If the icon wasn't my work provided phone, I'd tell Verizon Wireless to kiss my ***. And I'm not sure if I would stay on windows phone versus a Nexus or Mororola android. You know, the ones there that actually get updates without the carriers holding them up.
Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I personally believe it is. I've heard of many people having DP issues especially on the Icon. In every single case (except the Icon which doesn't have Cyan) Cyan fixed all the issues they were having.

Also the Icon supports various features that will not work with Black including bluetooth 4.0. Its like having a computer with a CD-Rom drive in the early '90s but you weren't supplied with the CD-Rom driver so the drive is useless.

How can this be true. If Cyan hasn't been released it can't fix all the DP problems people are having on the ICON.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
FYI. I was at the Microsoft Store today getting a glass screen protector for my SP3. I mentioned that Verizon retired the Icon. She looked surprised and told me that it is NOT retired. She also said that it still available at Microsoft stores. She was a manager who talks to corporate on a regular basis.

I usually give the Microsoft store reps comments more credence versus a Verizon rep.

khador

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Sold my Icon last week and been on my Nexus 5 with T-Mobile since then. Love WP 8.1 but being back on a great android device is honestly much better. Icon and nexus 5 are very close to each other, better camera on Icon but I much prefer the weight and display on the Nexus.

Best thing has really been apps, in the past month I've had two paid for apps removed from the windows phone app store: Hipchatter (Hipchat) and MyBucks (Starbucks), it really sucks being in such a position with windows phone and in my humble opinion it's just not worth it. Why should we put up with unreliable and insecure third party apps when there are phones that provide first party support at the same price? It no longer makes sense to me.

Throwing on top ****ty update support just makes it all the less worth while. Looking at the new MS under Nadella, it's becoming obvious that to get the best out of MS you need to own an iOS or Android device.

Its been great to get a week off from checking the Cyan on Icon threads that have been going for at least three months now.

For the record I do actually have Cyan and it's on a dirt cheap 635, terrible compared to the Icon and all the more galling that it's not available from Verizon.

Best of luck to everyone sticking with the Icon.

Last edited:

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The Icon isn't the only Nokia phone that runs DP. On other phones that had random issues with DP, once Cyan was released those problems disappeared. The fact that the 930 seems to "just work" is also a strong indicator since its basically an Icon with Cyan installed.

How can this be true. If Cyan hasn't been released it can't fix all the DP problems people are having on the ICON.

Iron_Wraith

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
A little irrelevant history. Had Windows Mobile 6.5 on the Touch Pro 2. (first smartphone owned) Went android with the Evo 4G when it was released. Been on android with HTC One X and One M7. I had been wanting to try Windows Phone. Jumped on the Icon a few months ago and first time with Verizon. I like many things about the Windows platform. The blaring lack of apps is something that doesn't affect me as much as it does most people, however I'm very annoyed and slow updated from carriers. It was something that irritated the life out of me with the One X. I'm considering a jump to the iPhone 6 plus or the Nexus 6 soon. I'll sell the Icon and possibly dump Verizon in the process.... as much money as carriers soak us there is no excuse for the treatment we get. No matter what course I take I hope to see Microsoft gain and prosper in the mobile realm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss