Lumia 830 (RM985) Prototype

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I am looking at picking up an 830. I found a few on eBay and they are listed as RM985 Prototype models.

1) Any difference between prototype and the retail version?
2) Will it work on T-Mobile LTE
3) Will it work on AT&T LTE

I can put the phone on either AT&T or T-Mobile..

Thanks in advance!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
To answer your questions, yes to all of them. There's a dedicated thread for those models. Secondly looks like these are not prototype hardware but are just running prototype software

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Prototype is generally a (barely) working phone that is used in trade shows. As for LTE, unlocked phones tend not to.

All due respect, but you don't know what you're talking about WRT to the RM-985. OP, there are a couple of threads on this forum that specifically address the RM-985 prototype (one of which I started). Search is your friend.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
"Barely working "?
Errr I have that phone in my hands right now and you wouldn't know it's prototype if the production one and this one were side to side . The only thing missing is glance .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

YanivC

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Prototype is generally a (barely) working phone that is used in trade shows. As for LTE, unlocked phones tend not to.
Are you crazy?!
I have the pprototype. I bought it on eBay. It works PERFECTLY. In fact there is only one thing that doesn't work yet. Glance screen. Even that will work. I spoke with a Nokia rep and they guaranteed me that even the prototype will get the full update as soon as it goes live.
I live this new phone. It's almost perfect. In fact I put it right up against the 1520.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok cool, thanks for the additional responses..

I might just grab it and toss it on a T-Mobile pre paid plan.. Cant really beat it for $360

MethodGT

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Along with the glance screen not working, mine has had trouble saving nfc device settings, and lots of my live tiles don't update unless I click on them, and the phone resets when I try to use the GPS, Bluetooth audio, and the camera all at once (it happened three times in a row the other day).

I'm hoping the final denim firmware will fix these minor annoyances.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I purchased two from eBay and both pretty much work fine as can be, just glance not there. Use them on AT&T with no problems

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Also an owner of the 830 prototype who can vouch for it working perfectly. No glance, but I don't use glance anyway so no loss there.

I was won over from the moment that I popped in my SIM and got full LTE support on AT&T.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Question for you guys that installed DP/Update 1. I had my prototype for a few weeks before installing the update. Now, after installing I am having problems with certain apps spiking my home modem/router and drops the entire home connection. It took me a while to figure out it was the 830 jacking the network. I disabled the wifi on the prototype and now all other devices on the network are running flawless and network has had no drops.

Any of you have any wifi/connection issues after installing DP-Update 1? Damn, did it again...anyone noticed any wifi/connections problems in general?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Question for you guys that installed DP/Update 1. I had my prototype for a few weeks before installing the update. Now, after installing I am having problems with certain apps spiking my home modem/router and drops the entire home connection. It took me a while to figure out it was the 830 jacking the network. I disabled the wifi on the prototype and now all other devices on the network are running flawless and network has had no drops.

Any of you have any wifi/connection issues after installing DP-Update 1? Damn, did it again...anyone noticed any wifi/connections problems in general?

nope nothing of the sort.....on my 830

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the seller has delisted all his/her items so I am assuming its temporary, I've also reached out to him/her and waiting for an answer

avmba

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I ordered one on the 15th. On the 17th True Digital emailed me and indicated their facility had experienced a break-in and they lost all of their inventory.

The seller no longer has any items for sale on eBay.

I was bummed as I really wanted a white 830 on AT&T to replace my white 920.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
You can always get a RM984. That works fine on AT&T except for no LTE. I get HSPA+ and around 10mb speeds, which is more than fine for em.

Fred

I ordered one on the 15th. On the 17th True Digital emailed me and indicated their facility had experienced a break-in and they lost all of their inventory.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Ahh...that really sucks!! :( I was going to buy it this weekend...looks like now I've to wait till the Rogers units start selling on eBay

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You can always get a RM984. That works fine on AT&T except for no LTE. I get HSPA+ and around 10mb speeds, which is more than fine for em.

Fred

Yup, and I'm getting up to 20mbps down with the RM-984 on T-Mobile. Using HERE Maps, streaming video, etc. has been as flawless as it was on LTE. Plus you get the benefit of better battery life (just set your max connection speed to 3G).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb