Microsoft 36 month policy on there phone life cycle

HarrBear

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
So if I read that policy right, then Verizon has to release Cyan in order to release Denim, because the updates are built upon each other?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So if I read that policy right, then Verizon has to release Cyan in order to release Denim, because the updates are built upon each other?

So if I read that policy right, then T-Mobile has to release Black in order to release Cyan, because the updates are built upon each other?

Get what I did there? Yeah, carriers suck. Poor 810, 928 and Icon. :/

jenny311

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Hmm... Seeing as it is Verizon's responsibility to get those updates to our phone, does it really matter what Microsoft policies are. I didn't see anything on that page that said carriers had to adhere to those policies and it seems that Microsoft has already done their part by creating cyan (and soon denim) and getting it to the carriers.

rafal soboczynski

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
This should take care of the worry out of buying a Icon, and there updates, Verizon will update when ready. There just not going to sell it. so I get mine from Ebay or Amazon make not difference to me I am off contract with Verizon.

Microsoft Windows Phone Lifecycle Policy FAQ

I bet we even get windows 10

I believe this policy is for manufactures and not carriers, so Microsoft has to realise windows phone 8.1 for icon but Verizon may choose not to do so

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I believe this policy is for manufactures and not carriers, so Microsoft has to realise windows phone 8.1 for icon but Verizon may choose not to do so

Spot on, my understanding is updates that Microsoft and/or Nokia in the case of Lumias, create will be designed/coded in a way that will be make them compatible with WP phones up to 36 months old. Whether your chosen carrier chooses to release said updates onto their network is another story

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

I am sure Microsoft/Nokia contract with Verizon say other wise. do you think Microsoft going to invest millions in a phone to have a carrier tell them there not going to supply the update?
look at the 8x when the update had problems with the folders not working, well MS / htc fix the driver and sent the update. remember the phone/computer industry is a work in progress we are all testers per say. it's been like that since my first radio shack computer update after update, year after year , and its not going to change because Verizon not going to sell a phone. update will come when problems are solved...

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This should take care of the worry out of buying a Icon, and there updates, Verizon will update when ready. There just not going to sell it. so I get mine from Ebay or Amazon make not difference to me I am off contract with Verizon.

Microsoft Windows Phone Lifecycle Policy FAQ

I bet we even get windows 10

Note, this is when Windows Phone 8 was released, NOT when the ICON was released. Microsoft also quoted 18 months support (we should still fall under both of them).

Now, under this, all Windows Phone 8 phones will be upgraded to Cyan/Denim (non Nokia's to 8.1)....but, isn't there a few Nokia's like the 810 or some others that have been EOL for a while now with no updates? Meaning the carriers will not support them any more and that also means no updates from carriers.

About the only support Microsoft can give these users is the DP and we all know it works but, is not optimal for the best performance of a device.

Verizon claimed the ICON "retired" but, not EOL....so there are a lot of questions here but, if they do kill off the ICON....I would bet at some point we will see Denim/Cyan(again, announced before it was retired) but, I would not count on Windows Phone 10.....

Ugh....I hate Verizon more and more...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ugh....I hate Verizon more and more...

And here a few months ago we were praising Verizon because they were all into WP. They got the Icon and the HTC M8. AT&T, meanwhile, hasn't gotten any high end WP since what, the 1520? Now we're back to AT&T being the premium partner.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Retiring a phone doesn't necessarily mean support goes away too. the retirement could be cause by a number of things Like, the shut down of Nokia biggest manufacture facility in India. I not sure the Icon was made there , but I wouldn't be surprised , or the lack of sales. something happened for Verizon to retire a phone so early. I know that you can buy from Microsoft store and it say it's
Verizon - Nokia Lumia Icon for Windows
5-inch PureMotion HD+ display
20-megapixel camera
32GB storage
Windows Phone 8.1 ready*

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
OP Friend, don't know if you are a native English speaker or not, but it is "Their," not "There." Yes, English is a *****. So many inexplicable rules.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Retiring a phone doesn't necessarily mean support goes away too. the retirement could be cause by a number of things Like, the shut down of Nokia biggest manufacture facility in India. I not sure the Icon was made there , but I wouldn't be surprised , or the lack of sales. something happened for Verizon to retire a phone so early. I know that you can buy from Microsoft store and it say it's
20-megapixel camera
32GB storage
Windows Phone 8.1 ready*

True, Nokia shut down a WP factory in India. But, if it was where the Icon was made, then why doesn't the 930 seem to be affected? The ONLY functional difference between the phone is the Icon has CDMA and the 930 does not. Non-functional difference is the difference colors for the 930. If the two phones are manufactured in two different factories (unlikely), then all Nokia would have to do is transfer manufacture of the Icon to where the 930 is made. The dies would be the same.

NancyAnnL

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
20-megapixel camera
32GB storage
Windows Phone 8.1 ready*

Icon was made in China- at least mine was. WP_20141013_08_06_21_Pro.jpg

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
And here a few months ago we were praising Verizon because they were all into WP. They got the Icon and the HTC M8. AT&T, meanwhile, hasn't gotten any high end WP since what, the 1520? Now we're back to AT&T being the premium partner.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Speak for yourself, I never praised Verizon, sure I might of said it was good that they are starting to get into it finally (after being stuck with the Trophy as the ONLY Windows Phone device for so long).

I know with Verizon, there is ALWAYS some fine print someplace....there always has been and always will. As you can see, the Retirement and no Cyan/Denim for the ICON is somewhere in that "fine print"...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No no no no no....

People misunderstanding the support lifecycle to have anything to do with updates is getting tiresome.

WP7 was within the support lifecycle until about two months ago. Did any WP7 device get WP8? No! Did the 810 get 8.1? No! It's completely unrelated.

The support lifecycle is of interest to corporations and OEMs that need technical support. It has absolutely nothing to do with consumers getting updates.

Apparently this false understanding of the support lifecycle has been circulating for so long it's impossible to kill.

OTOH, as has been mentioned, the Icon, being EOL'd doesn't mean updates stop either.

We're all desperately looking for a way to know how Verizon intends to handle updates for the Icon. In truth there is no way to know. Verizon can chose to do whatever they want and they can change their mind anytime.

I think the Icon will get updated to Denim and beyond, albeit late, but that is just a guess, like everyone else's.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Speak for yourself, I never praised Verizon, sure I might of said it was good that they are starting to get into it finally (after being stuck with the Trophy as the ONLY Windows Phone device for so long).

Well I didn't praise Verizon either; I don't use Verizon or AT&T. But after the release of the Icon and the HTC M8 I got the feeling that that was the general consensus here. Isn't the 1520 the last high end WP device that AT&T released? And that was in November 2013, almost a year ago.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Well it seems Microsoft's inability to release the McLaren as a replacement for the 1520 is the main reason ATT have been left without a Lumina flagship and Verizon obviously has an exclusive on the Icon/930 so the fact that the 1520 was their last flagship release is really down to Microsoft incompetence.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
1.What does the Windows Phone Support Lifecycle Policy cover?

Starting with Windows Phone 8, Microsoft will make updates available for the Operating System on your phone, including security updates, for a minimum of 36 months after the lifecycle start date. These updates will be incremental, with each update built on the update that preceded it. Customers need to install each update released in order to remain supported. Distribution of the updates may be controlled by the mobile operator or the phone manufacturer from which you purchased your phone. Update availability will also vary by country, region, and hardware capabilities.

windows 7 different operating system, need to have 8 for the 36 month support. has nothing to do with OEM

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb