Do NOT Upgrade to 8.1 Just Yet on ATIV S Neo

Thaumasurge

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone! As a user of Ting (Sprint MNVO) for quite some time on my Samsung ATIV S Neo, I had attempted at one point to install the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers. At the present state, the Preview for Developers version is virtually the same as the full release, minus firmware updates exclusive to the device.

It seems that in order for mobile data and MMS to work properly, it is dependent upon said firmware exclusive to my phone. As such, if you install the update via the Preview for Developers app, you will find that your data connection and ability to send and receive MMS is completely gone. I'm not entirely sure how this is possible, but it seems that the APN settings for both of those to function literally do not exist in 8.1. This is a known issue across Sprint's own forums for other Windows Phone 8 users including the Samsung ATIV S Neo who have tried to use the Preview for Developers version and have encountered the same problem.

Despite APN settings provided from your mobile provider, your mobile data will show as 4G but each time you open the internet in particular, you will receive a message saying it cannot find the server or DNS. MMS messages will fail, saying they cannot send and to try again. At one point, the APN settings were successful and I was able to use 4G data for a time as well as send but not receive MMS.

As of recently, even with manual APN settings, this is no longer possible and after some hunting down on xda-developers, I was able to find the stock rom for the ATIV S Neo and was able to flash it back to Windows Phone 8, where data properly works once more.

After flashing the default ROM back onto the phone, I have noticed that data and voice roaming are disabled and it says that I should "Contact my mobile provider to re-enable" despite them being enabled in my Device Settings on Ting and I will have a talk with them about that another time, since Data nor Voice Roaming is not a major concern, but the ability to at least roam domestically, I would ideally like restored.

If you have a Samsung ATIV S Neo, updated to Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers, and want to revert back to the Stock 8.0 ROM, please visit the following thread on xda-developers located here : forum[dot]xda-developers[dot]com/showthread.php?t=2568606 You will be able to download the stock ROM, CSC, flash tool, and what not.

WARNING: While most firmware updates and the like are rather safe operations, do not perform them unless there is a significant need. If you do not wish to wait until November (estimated time as of posting the thread of when a Ting representative said Sprint would be sending out the official update) to regain your 4G data and MMS, read the thread and the corresponding links within it very carefully. When dealing with ROM/firmware flashes or upgrades, you must assume the worst that if performed incorrectly or if the power to the device is lost during the update, your phone can be rendered a useless brick. I take no responsibility as to what happens to your device from your success or failure to perform the ROM flash as directed in the thread.

If you do not feel comfortable in flashing your ROM back to 8.0, please wait until November where you should receive firmware updates for your phone that hopefully will correct the issue.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone! As a user of Ting (Sprint MNVO) for quite some time on my Samsung ATIV S Neo, I had attempted at one point to install the Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers. At the present state, the Preview for Developers version is virtually the same as the full release, minus firmware updates exclusive to the device.

It seems that in order for mobile data and MMS to work properly, it is dependent upon said firmware exclusive to my phone. As such, if you install the update via the Preview for Developers app, you will find that your data connection and ability to send and receive MMS is completely gone. I'm not entirely sure how this is possible, but it seems that the APN settings for both of those to function literally do not exist in 8.1. This is a known issue across Sprint's own forums for other Windows Phone 8 users including the Samsung ATIV S Neo who have tried to use the Preview for Developers version and have encountered the same problem.

Despite APN settings provided from your mobile provider, your mobile data will show as 4G but each time you open the internet in particular, you will receive a message saying it cannot find the server or DNS. MMS messages will fail, saying they cannot send and to try again. At one point, the APN settings were successful and I was able to use 4G data for a time as well as send but not receive MMS.

As of recently, even with manual APN settings, this is no longer possible and after some hunting down on xda-developers, I was able to find the stock rom for the ATIV S Neo and was able to flash it back to Windows Phone 8, where data properly works once more.

After flashing the default ROM back onto the phone, I have noticed that data and voice roaming are disabled and it says that I should "Contact my mobile provider to re-enable" despite them being enabled in my Device Settings on Ting and I will have a talk with them about that another time, since Data nor Voice Roaming is not a major concern, but the ability to at least roam domestically, I would ideally like restored.

If you have a Samsung ATIV S Neo, updated to Windows Phone 8.1 Preview for Developers, and want to revert back to the Stock 8.0 ROM, please visit the following thread on xda-developers located here : forum[dot]xda-developers[dot]com/showthread.php?t=2568606 You will be able to download the stock ROM, CSC, flash tool, and what not.

WARNING: While most firmware updates and the like are rather safe operations, do not perform them unless there is a significant need. If you do not wish to wait until November (estimated time as of posting the thread of when a Ting representative said Sprint would be sending out the official update) to regain your 4G data and MMS, read the thread and the corresponding links within it very carefully. When dealing with ROM/firmware flashes or upgrades, you must assume the worst that if performed incorrectly or if the power to the device is lost during the update, your phone can be rendered a useless brick. I take no responsibility as to what happens to your device from your success or failure to perform the ROM flash as directed in the thread.

If you do not feel comfortable in flashing your ROM back to 8.0, please wait until November where you should receive firmware updates for your phone that hopefully will correct the issue.

Although your warning is valid as it appears many people have run into the issue, it's not true to assume this will happen to everyone. I have an Ativ S Neo on Sprint which is running the Developer's Preview of WP8.1 and I have full functionality including data and MMS.

Early on it appeared the issue was doing a hard reset along with the upgrade to the Developer's Preview of WP8.1. I haven't been following everything for a while now, so I don't know if that's still the case, but I do know that I have avoided doing a hard reset and I still have a fully functioning Ativ S Neo with WP8.1 installed.

-Skippy

Benito Sifuentes

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I updated to 8.1 the first day it came out and I had my data and mms until I hard reset.. I mean I got my data working so I can't send mms' I don't think I can physically bring myself to go back to Windows Phone 8 after being on 8.1 for so long..

wphokie

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Early on it appeared the issue was doing a hard reset along with the upgrade to the Developer's Preview of WP8.1. I haven't been following everything for a while now, so I don't know if that's still the case, but I do know that I have avoided doing a hard reset and I still have a fully functioning Ativ S Neo with WP8.1 installed.

-Skippy

Yes, that's still the case AFAIK. I've debated whether to install the DP update, as I'm all but convinced there will never be an official update pushed/supported by Sprint for the ATIV S Neo. It "seems" pretty safe and the firmware is close. The biggest issue seems to be with MMS if one does a hard reset. I can avoid doing a hard reset for the heck of it, but I've never had a phone that didn't lock at some point where I then had to hard reset it. I've read mixed reviews on how easy it is to get it working again if you do hard reset it. I'm also not sure there's a good list of bugs anywhere--some people also report issues with your location not updating on the maps, camera issues, etc. I'm also not downloading an 8.0 ROM from some website to flash back. Right now, Sprint has no other WP devices. If they get a new one, then maybe I'll do it because if I brick it I fall back to a new device.

icthusman1

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been on the DP since the day it was released in 2013. I have had no major issues with 8.1 or 8.1.1 but I have not done a hard reset. For some reason, my battery saver app does not work and I am unable to turn off background apps because of that. I was advised to hard reset but it's not a big enough deal that I want to go through the pain of losing data and mms.

Otherwise, I would whole heartedly advise doing the DP and updating. It is worth it.

Final-MacGyver

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Where did you read that the firmware update would be coming in November? Just curious, I have a NEO and I really want to get a Microsoft band but Im on the fence of update using the DP.

Jared The Geek

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I have not experienced the issue described and I have a Neo running 8.1 preview. Data and MMS worked fine the whole time with no hard reset necessary.

Final-MacGyver

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Just in case anyone has any concerns about the ativ s neo working with the Microsoft Band, I installed the DP and I've been using the band all day with no issues. Love it!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo