Strange things happening with my Lumia 830

iainmann

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
OK...deep breath: My Lumia 830 was working great. It had a working memory card in and it had the three-tile layout with no option in Settings > Start+theme to toggle between three-tile and two-tile layout.

Today I heard beeping from my pocket and pulled out the phone thinking I must have been accidentally activating Cortana or something.

The tiles had changed to a two-tile Start Screen layout. And the phone wasn't recognising my microSD card.

In Settings > Start+theme there was now an option at the bottom to select three or two tile layout.

In fact, I liked the bigger tiles, so rearranged them all.

But the phone still wasn't recognising the memory card.

When I took the memory card out...ie no card in the phone...and restarted it, the phone was back to a three-tile layout with no option in Start+them to change it.

It's the same if I put a new memory card in that is recognised by the phone.

But....if I put the card that's not recognised back into the phone...yup, you've got it...the choice of two or three tile layout returns.

*puzzled* *think I'm going mad*

To add to this....the official Lumia 830 Microsoft page says the choice to toggle between two and three tile start screen should be there:

Nokia Lumia 830 - Personalize the start screen - User Guide - Microsoft - USA

I'm confused. Trouble is I quite liked the two-tile layout...easier to read calendar tiles etc...but I also want a working memory card.

Oh...and also...Glance wasn't working with the two-tile layout...but works fine with the three-tile layout.

Last edited:

iainmann

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Yup...I've replaced the SD card and I have restored the phone using Nokia updater and it's working perfectly. I was just wondering how an unrecognised SD card would force the phone to show the two-tile option in settings.

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Yup...I've replaced the SD card and I have restored the phone using Nokia updater and it's working perfectly. I was just wondering how an unrecognised SD card would force the phone to show the two-tile option in settings.

You'd be amazed at how much a bad sd card can make a phone go haywire lol

I've seen an android's capacitive buttons stop working with a bad sd card

Shawn Lukaschuk

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Could be the same "random cortana activation" issue I am having on my 830 (without a SD).
I wish I could post a link to my post Microsoft Answers. Or a link to another guys complaint about random cortana activation on his 920 elsewhere in these forums. (Although my 920, 1020 and 530 have never showed this issue).

Is your 830 running Denim like mine?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb