Dropped phone; doesn't turn on now? Lumia 1520

Panda7

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I recently dropped my Nokia Lumia 1520, and the top left of the screen is cracked pretty bad, but usually that doesn't stop a phone from working.. When I dropped it the screen froze for about 5 seconds, then randomly shut off.. This is the only phone I have, and insurance is still $200 to replace, and I wouldn't have that for a couple months. I was wondering if there was a way to somehow power it on?

I believe the battery still works, because sometimes when I try to turn it on, the flash blinks, and it gets hot if I leave it on the charger. It doesn't respond when I plug it into the pc, so I doubt it's the display not working... Sorry for the long description, but I really need to figure out a way to fix this..

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
First thing to try is a soft reset.

Hold the volume down and power button together until the phone vibrates. This will take some time, it's not immediate and in the phones current state could take longer than normal.

The next option is a hardware button reset but that's probably not what you want as it erases everything on the phone.

Panda7

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
WIN_20141015_032005.JPG

See, it's cracked baaad... I've seen phones get COMPLETELY shattered though, and continued to be operational. It wasn't too bad of a drop, just bad on the screen, so I doubt anything tore. and the flash still blinks after i try to turn it on after awhile... thanks for the help so far though

Panda7

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why the flash goes off though..? Is that a signal for something that's wrong? It shows that the battery is operational enough to do that, and the display didn't cut out right after I dropped it. it froze on the chat for like 5 seconds, before it turned off... I don't know ugh

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This is from MS/Nokia Support -

The problem you are experiencing may be caused by a software problem on your phone. You will need to perform a factory reset to try and resolve the problem.

Please note: All information on your phone will be deleted and anything that has not been backed up will be lost during this process. If you cannot access your phone's menu, unfortunately you will not be able to back-up any data.

Make sure your phone is powered off.
Press and hold the 'volume down' button.
Press the 'power' button until the phone vibrates, then release the 'power' button.
Keep the 'volume down' button held until you see an '!' on the screen, then release the 'volume down' button.
When the '!' appears, press the following buttons in order:

'volume up'
'volume down'
'power'
'volume down'
You should see rotating gears on your screen for around 5 minutes.
Your display will then turn blank for 30 seconds while your phone restarts.
It will take several minutes for your phone to restart. Once your phone has restarted you will need to follow the on-screen instructions and complete the initial set-up process on your phone.

Panda7

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
doesn't vibrate or respond to that either.. Just tried the Nokia Recovery Tool, and the non-responding thing said to do that too, and still nothing.. I know I probably need a new phone after this. I just don't get the point of the flash going off, makes it seem like the battery is functional, and obviously not if it won't even vibrate

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just because it's doing things doesn't mean it's working properly. My guess is that there's some serious damage internally which is why it's not working right. It may charge still. It may show indications of being alive but on the whole it probably need a whole new main board or something other bits. You have a major repair on your hands.

Not sure what height you dropped it from but that picture looks pretty bad.

Panda7

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I was really dumb for a minute, and had my phone out while on a ramp while skateboarding, and took a bad fall. wasn't too high, but more me falling and pushing it down on accident :eck:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I was really dumb for a minute, and had my phone out while on a ramp while skateboarding, and took a bad fall. wasn't too high, but more me falling and pushing it down on accident :eck:

Ouch, yeah, that doesn't sound good. Ramp, phone and body weight...I don't think any phone would come out well on that.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Really sorry to hear about any damaged phone.

As long as you have a backup phone, waiting to repair it is not so bad. But if you don't, the problem didn't start with the fall, it probably started when you bought something you needed that you could not afford to replace/repair. Instead of spending ~$500 for a phone, if you buy a $300 phone instead you could get it fixed now. Just something to think about going forward.

Panda7

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site

So now it's flashing multiple times.. I recorded it to show you what I meant. I was holding the power key down in the video. I know there's probably no hope for the phone, but I still try to turn it on, a lot.

sschevy010

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The main board is only an 1.5 inches tall and the width of the phone... which is located at top portion of phone behind the screen almost flush... it is 1/16-1/8th of inch or less from top end of phone under case.. chances are when you dropped it and hit top of phone... damaged the board also.. I have repaired a phone similar damage and luckily it only cut the digitizer cable which the phone turned on and worked but you couldnt use touch screen. just to say thats how close the main board is..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven