How to get 2 column tiles on Nokia Lumia 730?

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Guys, as some of you are aware now, there is no option to get 2 column tiles in Lumia 730, till now Microsoft/Nokia used to give 2/3 column options for phones with screen size less than 5 inches in Settings => start+theme => show more tiles(on/off). But with the release of Lumia 730 this option can no longer be seen and its a big deal for many windows phone users because at this screen size many prefer 2 columns tiles. Lumia 625 at 4.7 inches comes with 2/3 column option.

So, is there any way to get back this option by using some diagnostic settings or hidden settings? it would be of great help to many windows phone users if someone can help in getting back this option either officially or through hidden settings. Please help us as we are not asking anyone to change their column layout, we are just asking for 2 column tile option along with the 3 column tiles.

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Getting it on uservoice, waiting for 40k-50k votes and then Microsoft may or may not changing it is a long drawn out process which will take 1-2 years, i was thinking more like any trick, settings, hidden settings, diagnostics trick etc which can reveal this setting again as obviously they would not have removed the code from the OS and the "show more tiles: on/off" settings is just hidden.

Niranjan Bojakumar

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Today i got my lumia 730 am sick of this 3 column titles and there is no revert option in start + theme for 2 column am a native windows phone user this 3 column tiles killing my device look ...

Akhilesh Jain1

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
this is really bummer. Not sure it is because of Live folders they want to lock the phones to 3 or 2 column setting. I use Lumia 625 with 2 columns and will be disappointed if with Denim update this feature is gone.

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
this is really bummer. Not sure it is because of Live folders they want to lock the phones to 3 or 2 column setting. I use Lumia 625 with 2 columns and will be disappointed if with Denim update this feature is gone.

If Microsft disables the 2 tile column for existing phones with denim update then it will be the last straw which broke the camel's back for me, will jump ship as the only thing which has kept me in windows phone ecosystem ever since windows phone 7 Samsung Focus days is the OS User Interface, first they removed the gutter/blank space design rule, basically doing a 180 on their golden ration design rule and then further changed the UI by introducing 3 columns and now they want to even disable the option to keep 2 column tiles on phones even smaller than 5 inches!!

Parazels

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I found video where Nokia 730 has two columns set. Look for "nokiablogrussia" on YouTube.

I suppose there is a version not for sale with an outdated firmware...

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

Parazels

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Whatsoever I do hate the three columns! It kills the classic WP style! I used to make creative home screens but the new combination of tiles doesn't let me do what I want!

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I too really wish that two columns with medium size tiles was an option on larger screens as well. Don't understand why it isn't.

sunbee

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Any solution for this or we are forced to use 3 columns....my screen looks incomplete now...I thought there is some update missing but after updating and restoring all the updates it seems the option itself removed with L730. Not sure if it is removed on denim update or just L730.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry guys only certain devices at locked to 3 columns. The 730 can't get two. Sorry. However if you have a smaller Lumia, you are not forced to 3. Can have two instead. Lumia 625 being an exception because it has a low resolution.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If Microsft disables the 2 tile column for existing phones with denim update then it will be the last straw which broke the camel's back for me, will jump ship as the only thing which has kept me in windows phone ecosystem ever since windows phone 7 Samsung Focus days is the OS User Interface, first they removed the gutter/blank space design rule, basically doing a 180 on their golden ration design rule and then further changed the UI by introducing 3 columns and now they want to even disable the option to keep 2 column tiles on phones even smaller than 5 inches!!

This!! I really liked the blank space on the top of the start screen which was in Windows Phone 8.

Parazels

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Don't worry guys only certain devices at locked to 3 columns. The 730 can't get two. Sorry. However if you have a smaller Lumia, you are not forced to 3. Can have two instead. Lumia 625 being an exception because it has a low resolution.

I would buy some new Nokia with 4.3-4.5 screen if it had worthwhile specs.

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Any solution for this or we are forced to use 3 columns....my screen looks incomplete now...I thought there is some update missing but after updating and restoring all the updates it seems the option itself removed with L730. Not sure if it is removed on denim update or just L730.

Lumia 730 does not come with 2 column option from the start, there is no " start+theme =>show more tiles(on/off)" settings in Lumia 730/735.

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I would buy some new Nokia with 4.3-4.5 screen if it had worthwhile specs.

Yup, Lumia 730 was the best option under 5inch screen size with decent specs, hope there is some workaround found for enabling 2 column tiles.

Charles Sevior

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I had a Lumia 720 which I updated to Denim. It supported the 2 column or 3 column options [Settings => start+theme => show more tiles(on/off)]. However it just completely died, so I purchased the Lumia 735. It restored all of my settings which was great, but I am forced to use only the 3 column mode - which I find is too small.

I guess I will have to upsize some of my most-used apps!

Yes - Microsoft should always give the customer choice (otherwise we might start calling you Apple!!).

App Dev

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 830 and can't have 2 column mode either as the toggle is not present in my settings. This is a total deal breaker I will return the phone if I can't fix it. The 3 column start screen is unreadable and super clutered even if you make tiles bigger.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a Lumia 830 and can't have 2 column mode either as the toggle is not present in my settings. This is a total deal breaker I will return the phone if I can't fix it. The 3 column start screen is unreadable and super clutered even if you make tiles bigger.

Than you have to bring it back.(or hope that it will be updated in the future)

Below information is from the Microsoft site.

Below devices have the fixed 3 column mode.
Lumia 535, 535 Dual SIM, 730 Dual SIM, 735, 830, 930, 1320, 1520 en Icon

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was just me being picky, I too miss the 2 column layout, 3 column does not look good, I really miss the 2 column layout

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Use the uservoice and ask that feature. I don't think that it will be too hard to add that feature to the newest handsets (below 6inches).

I agree with you that's its nice to have the ability to chose, but I don't think that the 3 columns are clattered for phones bigger than 4.5inches. I always have the 3 option in my L920. That's my personal opinion, but taste is personal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720