T899M 8.1 official Samsung firmware update

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've switched to the 830 but in my opinion can't say it's "superior" to the Ativ S, the only aspect that really trumps the Samsung is the larger screen. The 830s screen seems overly sensitive at times and can act a little quirky where results differs from actual intentions, camera slow to launch compared to the Ativ S and can't say photos are huge improvement either in my daily usage. Maybe my expectations were a little too high in regards to the 830 but do know my Ativ S has been an awesome daily driver in the 2 years of use even with its ailments acquired through pfd updates

My camera loads lightning fast compared to my Ativ S, and the pictures are markedly better. Did yours ship with the Denim firmware? Mine did. My Ativ S never once disappointed my in my two years with it as my daily, and if the Ativ SE had come north of the border I would've likely snapped it up without hesitation. The 830 compared to my outgoing Ativ has, for me, a significantly better and faster camera, even more miraculous battery life, a larger *and better-looking* screen with better sunlight readability and I can use it with gloves on, better video and audio recording capability, and the list goes on...

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
My camera loads lightning fast compared to my Ativ S, and the pictures are markedly better. Did yours ship with the Denim firmware? Mine did. My Ativ S never once disappointed my in my two years with it as my daily, and if the Ativ SE had come north of the border I would've likely snapped it up without hesitation. The 830 compared to my outgoing Ativ has, for me, a significantly better and faster camera, even more miraculous battery life, a larger *and better-looking* screen with better sunlight readability and I can use it with gloves on, better video and audio recording capability, and the list goes on...

Yes mine came with the Denim firmware installed, finding things a little buggy such as phone rebooting occasionally, screen sensitivity issues etc, might do a full factory reset and see if that makes a difference... UPDATE: Doing it now so we'll see what happens. Still wish they'd push out the Ativ S firmware as I'd be all over it in a heartbeat, still think it holds its own even in today's standards. In the two years of owning my Ativ it has only rebooted about 5 times but my 830 has already recorded its 4th and we've only owned it for 6+ weeks sigh!

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've never had any of those issues with either device...

I had 3 reboots in two years with the Ativ S on DP, no less), and not one with the Lumia.

Last edited:

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have really enjoyed the ATIV S and still consider it a great smartphone. I WILL NOT continue to support any company that abandons its one time premium products after less than two years. This phone is now end of life as it will not support or install newer WP8.1 apps or app updates. Unacceptable Samsung. I use to defend the Samsung criticism but having now been affected by the poor support directly I am out. Just my one negative experience will end up costing Samsung thousands and thousands in lost sales. Its staggering to think how much business and revenue can be lost by a company because of product support management decisions. Dumb asses!

Here is the chat session I just had with Samsung support.

Selena: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?

Bill: I have a Bell Mobility ATIV S smartphone with one year remaining on contract. I have been waiting on software updates so Windows Phone 8.1.1 can be installed. When will this update be available? This was a flagship superphone when purchased and I am expecting software support on a premium product. Thanks.

Selena: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Selena: I understand that you want to know when the Windows update will the device receive.

Selena: I'm afraid as of now we don't have any information regarding the update. When the update is launched you will receive a notification on your device.

Bill: Yes...I would like to update to the current Windows Phone software. Other brands and even low cost value phones are being supported with this. I cannot even update current phone applications which require the newer version of windows phone OS to install.

Selena: I understand, I'm sorry, we don't have any information regarding the update. When the update is launched you will receive a notification on your device.

Bill: I am concerned my phone is being abandoned and that I will never receive a notification on my device.

Selena: I will be right with you.

Bill: Thank you Selena.

Selena: I understand your concern, I apologize, but we do not have any information when the device will receive the update.

Selena: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Bill: Ok....please let your support managers know that it is NOT ok to abandon a $700 device that has been invested in by customers. The phone is a great product but Samsung support is a fail. Online forums are full of negativity re: Samsung product support. This will probably be the last Samsung product I will purchase. I am not alone in these feelings.

Selena: I'm sorry you feel that way. I take your feedback.

Selena: Can I help you with anything else?

Selena: Just to confirm; are we connected on the chat?

Bill: We are done. With product support like this the future for Samsung does not look promising. I will replace this product with something from Nokia or Microsoft who value their customers more. Samsung needs to realize their customers are THE most important. I am in IT and my poor experience re: this phone will reach many others. Please forward these comments to someone who can understand the longer term ramifications. Thanks Selena.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have really enjoyed the ATIV S and still consider it a great smartphone. I WILL NOT continue to support any company that abandons its one time premium products after less than two years. This phone is now end of life as it will not support or install newer WP8.1 apps or app updates. Unacceptable Samsung. I use to defend the Samsung criticism but having now been affected by the poor support directly I am out. Just my one negative experience will end up costing Samsung thousands and thousands in lost sales. Its staggering to think how much business and revenue can be lost by a company because of product support management decisions. Dumb asses!

Here is the chat session I just had with Samsung support.

Selena: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?

Bill: I have a Bell Mobility ATIV S smartphone with one year remaining on contract. I have been waiting on software updates so Windows Phone 8.1.1 can be installed. When will this update be available? This was a flagship superphone when purchased and I am expecting software support on a premium product. Thanks.

Selena: I'm sorry for the delay. I'll be right with you.

Selena: I understand that you want to know when the Windows update will the device receive.

Selena: I'm afraid as of now we don't have any information regarding the update. When the update is launched you will receive a notification on your device.

Bill: Yes...I would like to update to the current Windows Phone software. Other brands and even low cost value phones are being supported with this. I cannot even update current phone applications which require the newer version of windows phone OS to install.

Selena: I understand, I'm sorry, we don't have any information regarding the update. When the update is launched you will receive a notification on your device.

Bill: I am concerned my phone is being abandoned and that I will never receive a notification on my device.

Selena: I will be right with you.

Bill: Thank you Selena.

Selena: I understand your concern, I apologize, but we do not have any information when the device will receive the update.

Selena: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Bill: Ok....please let your support managers know that it is NOT ok to abandon a $700 device that has been invested in by customers. The phone is a great product but Samsung support is a fail. Online forums are full of negativity re: Samsung product support. This will probably be the last Samsung product I will purchase. I am not alone in these feelings.

Selena: I'm sorry you feel that way. I take your feedback.

Selena: Can I help you with anything else?

Selena: Just to confirm; are we connected on the chat?

Bill: We are done. With product support like this the future for Samsung does not look promising. I will replace this product with something from Nokia or Microsoft who value their customers more. Samsung needs to realize their customers are THE most important. I am in IT and my poor experience re: this phone will reach many others. Please forward these comments to someone who can understand the longer term ramifications. Thanks Selena.

I dumped BB cuz of the same thing but look, they are still kicking, sadly those that jump ship have little effect on Samsung's bottom line. Love my Ativ S too but I'm coming to the realization it's a lost cause :cry:, have move on to Nokia (1020/830) but now a bit worried where WPs are going in general and although I don't want too, reverting back to Android may be the way to go... The last revelation got my goat when Microsoft stated that their statistic showed people weren't flocking to the "flagship" devices, no kidding, when you restrict the availability in certain markets/regions what do you expect.

Last edited:

Mathieu_Desjard

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I am wondering is it really that Samsung is not supporting the product anymore, or at slow pace or more that Bell is not really considering the WP client important enough?

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I am wondering is it really that Samsung is not supporting the product anymore, or at slow pace or more that Bell is not really considering the WP client important enough?

Samsung is supporting. I have the official FW and SW WP8.1 without developer preview so the problem is (as always) with the carriers

Mathieu_Desjard

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
So, we need some answer from Bell then. What could we do to get some answer?

I did tries the customer support but like the one of Samsung, they don't know a thing.

Any ideas? If they only need some help to test it, I'll do it free!

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Samsung is supporting. I have the official FW and SW WP8.1 without developer preview so the problem is (as always) with the carriers

Do you own the T899m version? If yes where are you and where did you get the FW update from? Non LTE version phones have rec'd updates in certain regions but I am unaware of ANY FW update released for the T899m LTE model. Thanks.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
So, we need some answer from Bell then. What could we do to get some answer?

I did tries the customer support but like the one of Samsung, they don't know a thing.

Any ideas? If they only need some help to test it, I'll do it free!

The firmware must originate from Samsung for QC and then pushed to the phone via the carrier network. If Bell, Telus or Rogers does not have the firmware from Samsung the buck stops with Samsung. If they do have the firmware then Samsung would serve T899m owners properly by providing that information so that we can focus our displeasure with our service providers. Currently both parties are guilty of terrible customer service and support by not providing the information necessary to determine which party is the problem.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I dumped BB cuz of the same thing but look, they are still kicking, sadly those that jump ship have little effect on Samsung's bottom line. Love my Ativ S too but I'm coming to the realization it's a lost cause :cry:, have move on to Nokia (1020/830) but now a bit worried where WPs are going in general and although I don't want too, reverting back to Android may be the way to go... The last revelation got my goat when Microsoft stated that their statistic showed people weren't flocking to the "flagship" devices, no kidding, when you restrict the availability in certain markets/regions what do you expect.

Android is not the answer for me! WP is the best phone OS I have used since having my HP Pre 3 running WebOS. I just gave my daughter a Blu Win HD for Xmas. Great phone and value unlocked for under $200 net......and running WP8.1 very well. Really looking forward to see what WP10 brings.

Based on the Samsung support for my ATIV S I know WP10 will come to me on other than a Samsung device.

It's also long overdue for a new flagship WP device. Hope something is released soon and has a good uptake from cell providers. Bell only offers the 830 now although it has rec'd good owner reviews.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Android is not the answer for me! WP is the best phone OS I have used since having my HP Pre 3 running WebOS. I just gave my daughter a Blu Win HD for Xmas. Great phone and value unlocked for under $200 net......and running WP8.1 very well. Really looking forward to see what WP10 brings.

Based on the Samsung support for my ATIV S I know WP10 will come to me on other than a Samsung device.

It's also long overdue for a new flagship WP device. Hope something is released soon and has a good uptake from cell providers. Bell only offers the 830 now although it has rec'd good owner reviews.

Loving the WP ecosystem but hate how updates rollout to same devices or the lack thereof, correct me if I'm wrong but if I owned a Samsung Galaxy S5 or Moto X for example, when an update rolls out "everyone" owning such devices gets it in short order, doesn't matter if you reside in the UK, US or elsewhere, not the case with WP unless you are running PFD... As has been mentioned before we always seem to be running in beta mode, at least that is how I see it.

Now look at our T899m, other regions have received the firmware update yet no one can get a straight answer as to whether we'll ever see it, neither Samsung or the carriers will commit to saying "yes" or "no", how hard can it be. My memory eludes me a wee bit but I'm pretty certain that in the 2 years of owning my Ativ S that there has only been "one" official update in that time, finding that pretty pathetic considering there's always room for improvement, dismal support in my opinion and thank god pfd came along... Have and do own other Samsung products (tablets/PCs) and know firsthand the quality of support I've received from them, some have "never" seen one iota of an update right out of the box and inquiries fell on def ears. So in this case with the t899m is Samsung to blame, the carriers or MS, threw in the last one because I'm not convinced they are fully committed to WP as they should be.

A "new" flagship would be awesome but I'm betting the trend will continue, what trend you ask, the one where it is only available in select regions, this needs to change otherwise WP will never be a big player but rather just another mediocre alternative.

Last edited:

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Loving the WP ecosystem.............

..........A "new" flagship would be awesome but I'm betting the trend will continue, what trend you ask, the one where it is only available in select regions, this needs to change otherwise WP will never be a big player but rather just another mediocre alternative.

ok, look
two types of mobile phones: 1. branded owned by carriers 2. unbranded for full price without contract

The first type has some special changes in the OS which requieres additional programing. Microsoft or the manufacturer of the phone will release an SW/FW update but this update will go to the carriers not to you. Then the carriers will change some little things in the OS (which takes some time) and after this process they will release the update for the customers BUT the changes in the OS takes some time and carriers have a lot of devices with new FW or SW updates so they dont have enough time to release new updates for everyone so people with low end or middle end phones wont get anything (shame but true).

The second type is "untouched" direct from the factory so if the manufacturer releases a new FW users will get it quickly. If Microsoft releases a new OS update they send it to the manufacturer and the manufacturer will decide if they release a new update or not for they devices. This process takes some time but the update will be released for everyone with a little delay.

Thats it and trust me WP support is Great. I have a Sony ANDROID device and the support was abandoned after 6 months so I wont get the new Lollipop update but mine Samsung Ativ S which is a 2y. old phone got the new WP8.1.1 update.. so... blame your carrier and next time if you want to have all updates for your phone just buy an unbranded phone. It will cost more but you wont have any trouble with updating to a new OS/FW

*cheers :)

don braithwaite

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately we're dealing with scenario #1 here in Canada. And the problem is that the carriers who initially offered the Ativ S have pretty much stopped caring about them. They had minimal interest in even offering anything Windows Phone related to begin with. They are both pushing the iPhones and Android phones. Bell Canada only offers the Ativ S and the Lumia 830 (which comes with 8.1 already), and that's it. Rogers did offer the Ativ S, and a few other Lumias, but has since dropped the Ativ S. So now we're at the mercy of these carriers possibly releasing the 8.1 updates. And they seem very reluctant to even address the issue. I think that most of us would just be happy to get an answer one way or the other about whether they are going to release it or not. I suspect that neither carrier even has an engineering person on staff who is familiar enough with the OS to know what to do with it to get it ready for release.

It would be nice if Bell and Rogers could jump on board the Windows Phone bandwagon, but it's a bit of a catch-22 for them. They won't jump on board until they see a desire from customers, but they don't see a desire because they don't actually help to market the phones.

I have definitely decided that unbranded, unlocked phones are in my future once I'm closer to the end of my contract. Unfortunately the problem we often see on those is that we tend to have the compatibility issues with our carriers using a different frequency for LTE.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thats it and trust me WP support is Great. I have a Sony ANDROID device and the support was abandoned after 6 months so I wont get the new Lollipop update but mine Samsung Ativ S which is a 2y. old phone got the new WP8.1.1 update.. so... blame your carrier and next time if you want to have all updates for your phone just buy an unbranded phone. It will cost more but you wont have any trouble with updating to a new OS/FW

*cheers :)

Hi Pappale,

As per a previous reply....do you own the T899m LTE model and if so what carrier or region provided the FW and SW updates for your ATIV S?

Some owners have installed DP without a FW update but are having camera, flash and some other relatively minor poor behaviour. Otherwise WP 8.1 seems to be functional radio wise on the T899m. Not sure if LTE is working on these...they may be reverting to HSPA connections. This would seem to indicate FW carrier modification and validation should be minimal if not good to go as provided by Samsung ( assuming Samsung has even sent out said FW ). Samsung FW released for the non LTE model addresses those relatively minor hardware problems with WP8.1. Non LTE models seem to be fine with that FW fix as indicated by posts from owners in the other firmware forum thread.

I had considered installing DP but my phone stability is important and camera functionality non negotiable.

Once again please clarify what version / model ATIV S you have rec'd FW and 8.1 updates on. Thanks.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi Pappale,

As per a previous reply....do you own the T899m LTE model and if so what carrier or region provided the FW and SW updates for your ATIV S?

Some owners have installed DP without a FW update but are having camera, flash and some other relatively minor poor behaviour. Otherwise WP 8.1 seems to be functional radio wise on the T899m. Not sure if LTE is working on these...they may be reverting to HSPA connections. This would seem to indicate FW carrier modification and validation should be minimal if not good to go as provided by Samsung ( assuming Samsung has even sent out said FW ). Samsung FW released for the non LTE model addresses those relatively minor hardware problems with WP8.1. Non LTE models seem to be fine with that FW fix as indicated by posts from owners in the other firmware forum thread.

I had considered installing DP but my phone stability is important and camera functionality non negotiable.

Once again please clarify what version / model ATIV S you have rec'd FW and 8.1 updates on. Thanks.

I have a Samsung Ativ S i8750 unbranded but in the past i had some high and low end phones from carriers so I know how do you feel right now

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately we're dealing with scenario #1 here in Canada. And the problem is that the carriers who initially offered the Ativ S have pretty much stopped caring about them. They had minimal interest in even offering anything Windows Phone related to begin with. They are both pushing the iPhones and Android phones. Bell Canada only offers the Ativ S and the Lumia 830 (which comes with 8.1 already), and that's it. Rogers did offer the Ativ S, and a few other Lumias, but has since dropped the Ativ S. So now we're at the mercy of these carriers possibly releasing the 8.1 updates. And they seem very reluctant to even address the issue. I think that most of us would just be happy to get an answer one way or the other about whether they are going to release it or not. I suspect that neither carrier even has an engineering person on staff who is familiar enough with the OS to know what to do with it to get it ready for release.

It would be nice if Bell and Rogers could jump on board the Windows Phone bandwagon, but it's a bit of a catch-22 for them. They won't jump on board until they see a desire from customers, but they don't see a desire because they don't actually help to market the phones.

I have definitely decided that unbranded, unlocked phones are in my future once I'm closer to the end of my contract. Unfortunately the problem we often see on those is that we tend to have the compatibility issues with our carriers using a different frequency for LTE.
Agree with your post but think even if you have an unlocked ATIV S T899m a FW update would still not be available unless via Samsung. This brings it back to Samsung being responsible for an update which I don't think exists for our phone. Pappale has stated his phone has rec'd both FW and SW updates for 8.1.1. but not confirmed the exact model he has. AFAIK no T899m anywhere has gotten these. If I'm incorrect on this then carriers should have access to the same FW and make it available to their customers.

Bell is still offering the ATIV S. Why would anyone buy this if support is discontinued? If they have inventory they are stuck with they should update FW and allow the 8.1 update install. Otherwise they are offering an EOL device with no update path and locked to an obsolete state. If they would provide the updates and reduce the price on the ATIV S they could clear out the old inventory, recover some costs, and satisfy their customers already invested in the device. Is there something in this logic that I'm missing?

Just read a reply from Pappale which confirms he has the Ativ S i8750 and not the T899m LTE version. I was hoping he did have the T899m as that would confirm FW actually exists. I am further convinced carriers don't have a FW update from Samsung for our LTE model. :(

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
ok, look
two types of mobile phones: 1. branded owned by carriers 2. unbranded for full price without contract

I'm fully aware of the types 1 & 2, my point is that I have the option of either scenario with Android or even iPhone but that is not the case with "all" WPs, nor are the updates the same, as I stated previously, across the board for a specific WP variant compared to the others. Just finding the Windows phone ecosystem somewhat fragmented which tends to create uncertainty in my opinion, time will tell whether it manages to overcome that hurdle and rise up or just continues to float on the surface.

Last edited:

don braithwaite

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Agree with your post but think even if you have an unlocked ATIV S T899m a FW update would still not be available unless via Samsung. This brings it back to Samsung being responsible for an update which I don't think exists for our phone. Pappale has stated his phone has rec'd both FW and SW updates for 8.1.1. but not confirmed the exact model he has. AFAIK no T899m anywhere has gotten these. If I'm incorrect on this then carriers should have access to the same FW and make it available to their customers.

Bell is still offering the ATIV S. Why would anyone buy this if support is discontinued? If they have inventory they are stuck with they should update FW and allow the 8.1 update install. Otherwise they are offering an EOL device with no update path and locked to an obsolete state. If they would provide the updates and reduce the price on the ATIV S they could clear out the old inventory, recover some costs, and satisfy their customers already invested in the device. Is there something in this logic that I'm missing?

Just read a reply from Pappale which confirms he has the Ativ S i8750 and not the T899m LTE version. I was hoping he did have the T899m as that would confirm FW actually exists. I am further convinced carriers don't have a FW update from Samsung for our LTE model. :(

I also should have mentioned that if I went with an unbranded/unlocked phone in the future it would never be a Samsung :) As much as I like the brand, it's almost safer to stick with the Lumia line of phones right now when it comes to Windows Phones.

As for Bell still carrying the EOL ATIV S, I think you answered your own question. They still sell it to get rid of their inventory. Remember that the majority of people buying phones these days really don't care which version of the OS that they have. They just want to make phone calls, access Facebook and Twitter, and text. They might realize that they got shafted after the fact when they can't download some apps that only work on 8.1, but Bell doesn't care about that after they made the sale. A lot of people would see a $0 phone listed on Bell and just get it because it's cheap.

Is the T899M specific to the Canadian market because of the LTE frequency, or was it released in other countries? For some reason I seem to remember seeing it mentioned in another thread on Windows Central and it was in another country, but I might be mistaken.

I still suspect that it's the Canadian carriers that have lagged behind on the 8.1 update, but unless we hear from a carrier or from Samsung directly, we may never know. I just keep hoping that if Bell is still listing, it that there is a small chance that someone over there is working on releasing the 8.1 updates. I can dream :)

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Just got off the phone with a Bell support / complaint escalation team rep.

Step 3 - Contact the Bell Escalation Team
If after taking the preceding steps your concern is still not resolved, contact our Bell Escalation Team at 1-866-317-3382. We are committed to resolving your concern.

Note: Please ensure you complete all of the above steps to have your problem resolved in the most efficient manner.

The conversation re: the lack of support for the T899m with the rep has me convinced no FW update is pending for our device. I reasonably explained why I considered it a disservice on a premium device which in my case still has a year left in the existing contract agreement and a proportionate early upgrade penalty fee. The rep was courteous and professional and apologised for the situation. I was offered cancellation of the early upgrade fee if I wanted to replace my device which under the circumstances consider a reasonable compromise and positive gesture. The only device I'm interested in that's available via Bell is the 830 but I am hesitant to commit to 2 years and then see a new flagship Windows phone become available in the near future. What to do? Hmmmm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6