T899M 8.1 official Samsung firmware update

Mathieu_Desjard

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Well, this is clearly a good idea, if everyone call them to switch to a 830, it's a good scenario.

If you want to stay with Bell, remember that they never offer a great support for WP. In my case, I'll call them for a switch to 830. And I will probably buy an unlock phone in the future.

Last edited:

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Agree with your post but think even if you have an unlocked ATIV S T899m a FW update would still not be available unless via Samsung. This brings it back to Samsung being responsible for an update which I don't think exists for our phone. Pappale has stated his phone has rec'd both FW and SW updates for 8.1.1. but not confirmed the exact model he has. AFAIK no T899m anywhere has gotten these. If I'm incorrect on this then carriers should have access to the same FW and make it available to their customers.

Bell is still offering the ATIV S. Why would anyone buy this if support is discontinued? If they have inventory they are stuck with they should update FW and allow the 8.1 update install. Otherwise they are offering an EOL device with no update path and locked to an obsolete state. If they would provide the updates and reduce the price on the ATIV S they could clear out the old inventory, recover some costs, and satisfy their customers already invested in the device. Is there something in this logic that I'm missing?

Just read a reply from Pappale which confirms he has the Ativ S i8750 and not the T899m LTE version. I was hoping he did have the T899m as that would confirm FW actually exists. I am further convinced carriers don't have a FW update from Samsung for our LTE model. :(

just a question
why do you think that Samsung needs to release a new FW? Maybe they did but Bell wont customize it to they needs. Why? Because the Money. They would invest in the new FW (programing) but the selling rates of this device is low because nobody cares about WP, everybody wants an android or Apple ... so it wouldnt generate enough profit. Bell isnt the only one with such problems.. Verizon and Samsung Ativ SE or Lumia Icon is the same = no support

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, this is clearly a good idea, if everyone call them to switch to a 830, it's a good scenario.

If you want to stay with Bell, remember that they never offer a great support for WP. In my case, I'll call them for a switch to 830. And I will probably buy an unlock phone in the future.

To be clear..the offer I was given was a waive of the early cancellation fee. An 830 replacement will require a new commitment. With a compatible plan it can be had currently for $0 for a 2 year commitment.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
just a question
why do you think that Samsung needs to release a new FW? Maybe they did but Bell wont customize it to they needs. Why? Because the Money. They would invest in the new FW (programing) but the selling rates of this device is low because nobody cares about WP, everybody wants an android or Apple ... so it wouldnt generate enough profit. Bell isnt the only one with such problems.. Verizon and Samsung Ativ SE or Lumia Icon is the same = no support

You describe a short play logic that makes quick dollar return the priority. Cell carrier companies need to take the long play IMHO as their monopolies are slowly but surely diminishing. We have more carriers, unlocked devices and finally some new players entering the Canadian market.

The mindset should be customer retainment. A small initial financial penalty which earns customer loyalty will bring a far greater financial return due to repeat business. It is more costly to **** a customer off and lose them in almost all cases.

Last edited:

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
You describe a short play logic that makes quick dollar return the priority. Cell carrier companies need to take the long play IMHO as their monopolies are slowly but surely diminishing. We have more carriers, unlocked devices and finally some new players entering the Canadian market.

The mindset should be customer retainment. A small initial financial penalty which earns customer loyalty will bring a far greater financial return due to repeat business. It is more costly to **** a customer off and lose them in almost all cases.

yes.. maybe in an ideal world but not in this one :)
80% of users dont care about updates, they want to enjoy the basic functions like web browsing , skype etc. they dont have any informations about SW or FW updates so they dont bother with them and dont forget that the WP user base is very small and I think that the big amount of users dont care about smartphones, OS or the capacity of RAM.. they want a mobile phone for a low price but with all the app. they need in real life.

But to be honest I dont know the real answer and you neither so this conversation is pure scifi.
Shame on Bell and Verizon but we must accept the fact that they earn more Money with Android/Apple phones than with WP so any support for this platform is like throwing Money out of the window(s) :D

nerdysquared

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Well I think going to the 830, with no early upgrade fee is the only hope there is of seeing WP 8.1.1, or any update, sad in a way.

Well just contacted the Bell Escalation Team, and we'll see what they say.

Last edited:

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Well I think going to the 830, with no early upgrade fee is the only hope there is of seeing WP 8.1.1, or any update, sad in a way.

Well just contacted the Bell Escalation Team, and we'll see what they say.

Curious how your inquiry with Bell resulted.

After consideration I started the process of replacing my ATIV S with a Lumia 830 based on the Bell offer I previously posted. After being somewhat satisfied with their offer I now have a new problem with them. I can only update to the 830 if I buy the phone outright because they will not allow me to keep my grandfathered cell plan if I want the 830 subsidized on a new 2 year term. The qualified plans on a new 2 year commitment are much more expensive especially the included data allowances. Increasing the data allowance increases the monthly cell bill so much that the offered relief on the early upgrade fee is now moot.

In addition....I used the trade in program feature on Bell's web site but was prompted to contact a Bell Mobility store for current trade in valuation. The ATIV S now has a trade in value of $0! This device was abandoned after 18 months, was originally valued at $700, and now valued at $0. Thanks Samsung and Bell for ruining what was initially a positive device experience.

Last edited:

nerdysquared

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Well not well after chatting with the what I thought was the right people complained about the lack of support, and the whole update thing. then emailed the escalation team, got a email back saying basically saying to call the 1800-what ever it is now, so start the process again get ref# from the person I spoke with and all that to show them I went through the process what it says to do, fired off an other email and got the same response. so now just waiting a day off and spend all day on the phone again. as far as plans this was a recent upgrade like with in the last 6 months, so they already get 50$ a month plus the data fee from me. so they can keep it if they want more from me. plus on site now the Ativ S only requires 35$ plan. since this is a new upgrade for me I feel even more ripped off the swines!, but will keep you posted

don braithwaite

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Just curious if at any time any of them have told you outright that there will never be an update. Or are they just giving you this option because they don't know either.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Just curious if at any time any of them have told you outright that there will never be an update. Or are they just giving you this option because they don't know either.

Neither Samsung or Bell support declared outright there will never be an update. The tone of the conversations however definitely implied not to expect any and that no updates are currently planned. Seeing as the last system updates were aprox. 6 months ago and that FW and WP OS 8.1 for the Ativ S i8750 model variant (that has been sold outside of North America in far greater numbers) has only seen limited release in specific regions I think is telling.

There has been no advice to continue to wait for this. If a FW update was in the validation process at this stage it would serve the carrier better to disclose this in order to placate customers. I think enough time now has passed since the updates of other WP devices that owners should reconcile the fact we can expect no further update support. Getting only 18 months of support on a premium device like the ATIV S T899M is not acceptable especially when those that have rec'd the updates on the other variant report excellent results.

Lately I am having application updates and new application install error messages due to the need to have WP 8.1 installed. If there was a technical reason updates cannot be installed I might be a little bit more understanding. This phone is more than capable of running WP 8.1.1 if Samsung and or Bell would provide it.

don braithwaite

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
The only reason I asked was because typically at Bell and Rogers the customer service reps have no clue about what goes on behind the scenes with the technical support team.

I have thought about calling to see if there was any info about the updates, but I suspect that I would never get a straight answer and that the CSR wouldn't even know who to talk to about it, or even want to pursue it. The easier solution for them is just to push out a new phone to the customer. In an ideal world the customer support team would get updates to their info about specific phones, because as you say it would be good for them to be able to satisfy their customers, but I really don't think that it works like that. Usually the left hand doesn't have a clue what is going on with the right hand.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
The only reason I asked was because typically at Bell and Rogers the customer service reps have no clue about what goes on behind the scenes with the technical support team.

I have thought about calling to see if there was any info about the updates, but I suspect that I would never get a straight answer and that the CSR wouldn't even know who to talk to about it, or even want to pursue it. The easier solution for them is just to push out a new phone to the customer. In an ideal world the customer support team would get updates to their info about specific phones, because as you say it would be good for them to be able to satisfy their customers, but I really don't think that it works like that. Usually the left hand doesn't have a clue what is going on with the right hand.

My inquiries have gotten past the level 1 CSR. I've dug in and conversed with higher level tech support. Level 1 CSR knowledge base is typically pretty limited and often script based.

We desperately need to motivate the carriers by having more competition and choice. Until their monopolistic status is threatened Canadian telecommunications will remain substandard in tech, cost, and service / support. Why do we have the most expensive cell services in the world....because the current players control almost all frequencies and conspire to maintain minimal differentiation in their plans and rates.

How is it we pay more for service than third world countries who have far less infrastructure and certainly less population density away from their primary cities? How is it some countries are able to service high population centers with amazing IPTV and low cost high bandwidth cell service? There may be some advantages in those markets due to geographic population density scale but they still need to deploy enough cell repeaters to maintain decent bandwidth QOS.....which they do. I've had full bar signal levels in quite close proximity to a cell tower and still see my LTE data speeds negligibly faster than HSPA. I normally think "the marketplace" sorts things out via competition. The CRTC has regulated the elimination of three year cell contracts. In Canada I now regretfully think government regulation is needed to end the current status quo.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
My inquiries have gotten past the level 1 CSR. I've dug in and conversed with higher level tech support. Level 1 CSR knowledge base is typically pretty limited and often script based.

We desperately need to motivate the carriers by having more competition and choice. Until their monopolistic status is threatened Canadian telecommunications will remain substandard in tech, cost, and service / support. Why do we have the most expensive cell services in the world....because the current players control almost all frequencies and conspire to maintain minimal differentiation in their plans and rates.

How is it we pay more for service than third world countries who have far less infrastructure and certainly less population density away from their primary cities? How is it some countries are able to service high population centers with amazing IPTV and low cost high bandwidth cell service? There may be some advantages in those markets due to geographic population density scale but they still need to deploy enough cell repeaters to maintain decent bandwidth QOS.....which they do. I've had full bar signal levels in quite close proximity to a cell tower and still see my LTE data speeds negligibly faster than HSPA. I normally think "the marketplace" sorts things out via competition. The CRTC has regulated the elimination of three year cell contracts. In Canada I now regretfully think government regulation is needed to end the current status quo.

good luck!
Iam from EU but if I would do the same thing like you then I would be permanently banned from all carrier stores across the country :D

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
good luck!
Iam from EU but if I would do the same thing like you then I would be permanently banned from all carrier stores across the country :D
Not sure where you live in the EU but in Canada we are permitted consumer advocacy without penalty or discrimination. If no one speaks up standards and consumer rights would cease to exist and price fixing would be the norm. Glad I live here.... and contributing to keep it that way. :)

18 month device support is not good enough. I work in IT where obsolesence is common..... but not after 18 months. No way I could tell a customer their vertical business application will not run on his 18 month old IT system.

customer: My business application will not run on my system.
me: I could fix this but I won't.
customer: What can I do?
me: Buy a new system.
customer: But it is only 18 months old and I paid for the best tech then.
me: That's your problem not mine.
customer: But all it needs is a software update.
me: True......but I've decided to make you replace your system....and raise your support fees.
customer: Well what will you give me for my current system towards the upgrade?
me: Nothing
customer: But I am still paying for the current system.
me:Your problem not mine.

Big three wireless carriers all hike rate plans | canada.com

Last edited:

nerdysquared

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Curious how your inquiry with Bell resulted.

After consideration I started the process of replacing my ATIV S with a Lumia 830 based on the Bell offer I previously posted. After being somewhat satisfied with their offer I now have a new problem with them. I can only update to the 830 if I buy the phone outright because they will not allow me to keep my grandfathered cell plan if I want the 830 subsidized on a new 2 year term. The qualified plans on a new 2 year commitment are much more expensive especially the included data allowances. Increasing the data allowance increases the monthly cell bill so much that the offered relief on the early upgrade fee is now moot.

In addition....I used the trade in program feature on Bell's web site but was prompted to contact a Bell Mobility store for current trade in valuation. The ATIV S now has a trade in value of $0! This device was abandoned after 18 months, was originally valued at $700, and now valued at $0. Thanks Samsung and Bell for ruining what was initially a positive device experience.

Ok, so finally got a chance to call in today and started to go through the hoops again, but to no avail spoke with the front line support again, waste of time, move to the sup. more wasted time, asked about the escalation team. Was told to fill the form out online (which I have done twice now) told the sup. about the response was to call the 1800 blah blah. and needles to say have to waste more time tomorrow because they don't know where to go from here.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so finally got a chance to call in today and started to go through the hoops again, but to no avail spoke with the front line support again, waste of time, move to the sup. more wasted time, asked about the escalation team. Was told to fill the form out online (which I have done twice now) told the sup. about the response was to call the 1800 blah blah. and needles to say have to waste more time tomorrow because they don't know where to go from here.

Good for you to do that. If more device owners were to take some time to do this it would be impossible for the carriers to not notice the discontent. As the old saying goes " the sqeaky wheel......" Just use the phone number and get a conversation going with an escalation team member. Filling in forms and sending emails is not effective IMO.

To be fair this could also be the doing of Samsung not providing the FW to the carriers. Regardless... the carrier should have device support minimums the device mfgs. must meet in order to offer their phones. What a simple concept that would eliminate these kind of situations.

nerdysquared

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Well only wasted 30mins today, however still no answer, and still not able to speak with the escalation team. don't know how mdvision was able to reach them but please share your secret, and how did the cancellation with no fee come up by the way.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Well only wasted 30mins today, however still no answer, and still not able to speak with the escalation team. don't know how mdvision was able to reach them but please share your secret, and how did the cancellation with no fee come up by the way.

Hey Nerdysquared...I had no issue speaking with an escalation team member two times using the info previously posted. Here is the phone number I used on both calls and then used the menu prompts I believe.

Step 3 - Contact the Bell Escalation Team
If after taking the preceding steps your concern is still not resolved, contact our Bell Escalation Team at 1-866-317-3382. We are committed to resolving your concern.

The early upgrade fee waiver came up when I complained the device was abandoned, needed to be replaced but still had a residual value balance owing.

nerdysquared

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Hey Nerdysquared...I had no issue speaking with an escalation team member two times using the info previously posted. Here is the phone number I used on both calls and then used the menu prompts I believe.

Step 3 - Contact the Bell Escalation Team
If after taking the preceding steps your concern is still not resolved, contact our Bell Escalation Team at 1-866-317-3382. We are committed to resolving your concern.

The early upgrade fee waiver came up when I complained the device was abandoned, needed to be replaced but still had a residual value balance owing.

Worked like a charm, gave them a call and they were willing to give me $200 towards a new upgrade, or a give me a CLEARANCE phone, after complaining about the lack of support and all that so I will ponder this offer, because the 200 does not give me a $0 residual balance on the Ativ S because this was a recent upgrade so, at least the complaints have been made so we'll see.

Mathieu_Desjard

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Same here, I call them and then they offered me to get a new phone with really small cost ( I had more then a year left to contract). Now I am enjoying my Lumia 830 and will probably try to put Windows 10 on the samsung :)

Thanks for the tips!

Mathieu

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb