Battery Love/Hate Relationship

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Hmm i had location off when i had my crazy battery drainings so not sure this was the case for me..
Anyway I wanted to update with that my battery is doing overly fantastic good at the moment, haven't done heavy usings today, can't figure out what made the phone this much better but I''ll slowly add one app at a time and try to have a day with everything turned on
wp_ss_20141017_0002.jpg

Last edited:

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The 930 has a horrible battery. It's way too small for the amount of power the phone requires. I have one and it lasts me 20 hours with little use. My 920 lasted me more and my Z3C lasts me way way over a day of heavy use (Actually I haven't charged it since yesterday morning and I'm still with 49% of battery).

The 930 should have never left the factory with at least a 2800mAh battery.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I find that when location is turned on the phone heats like crazy and the battery goes down faster. When I got the phone I always had location turned on and almost got my hand burned a couple times /s
With location off, the battery lasts more than a full day of heavy usage (depending on the 4G connection)

I really want microsoft to enable cortana without location services, I can't have it turned on all the time.

Your generic location services uses virtually no power. It primarily if finding you are by tower triangulation and wifi AP. GPS is different. Yes, that sucks batteries dry. Semantics is important, despite what many think.

All of this "I used it hard," "I hardly used it," attempting to put a number on things is futile. It's like, "Go down the road aways, not too far, and turn right." "Or, the gas mileage is pretty decent." Meaningless parameters.

The only thing that can give you a baseline is percent used per hour on standby. After over a year with an 810 and a 925, and despite battery life improvements made over time (the June upgrade was solely for battery issues,) I've seen as little as .3% per hour, often .7%, most commonly around 3%, and then frequent sporadic forays into 6% to 20%. And that's not with GPS on!

I've just learned to live with it. It is what it is. Watch the meter, I like Battery Sense app very much. Nice tile with optional color change as battery discharges. Often a reboot brings things back to normal, just as waiting sometimes does.

You have bigger problems in your life, I'll bet.

Last edited by a moderator:

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay a bit sad.. Has this come with the new Cyan update? Because I never had problems with my old 720 and 500 concerning batteries, and I kinda had to change phone while the update was rolling out so never got to experience it on my 720.

Very few comes close to beating the 720, battery-wise.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
All of this "I used it hard," "I hardly used it," attempting to put a number on things is futile. It's like, "Go down the road aways, not too far, and turn right." "Or, the gas mileage is pretty decent." Meaningless parameters.

The only thing that can give you a baseline is percent used per hour on standby. After over a year with an 810 and a 925, and despite battery life improvements made over time (the June upgrade was solely for battery issues,) I've seen as little as .3% per hour, often .7%, most commonly around 3%, and then frequent sporadic forays into 6% to 20%. And that's not with GPS on!

I've just learned to live with it. It is what it is. Watch the meter, I like Battery Sense app very much. Nice tile with optional color change as battery discharges. Often a reboot brings things back to normal, just as waiting sometimes does.

You have bigger problems in your life, I'll bet.

I agree on that and yeah a reboot might just help this maybe but it is still a pain in the *** since it is a OS bug they hopefully will fix soon.
"Horrible" battery, no. Too small a battery probably yeah but I just demand the phone to be able to last one full day and then have some left when i put it to charge because who honestly cares about the 1? day almost 2 days, nobody wants to rush to a charger in the middle of the second day and charging it every night has become a rutine for most anyway. I know this easily does 1? day when the stars allign correctly and the OS doesn't mess up internally..

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree on that and yeah a reboot might just help this maybe but it is still a pain in the *** since it is a OS bug they hopefully will fix soon.
"Horrible" battery, no. Too small a battery probably yeah but I just demand the phone to be able to last one full day and then have some left when i put it to charge because who honestly cares about the 1? day almost 2 days, nobody wants to rush to a charger in the middle of the second day and charging it every night has become a rutine for most anyway. I know this easily does 1? day when the stars allign correctly and the OS doesn't mess up internally..

Owning a cell phone or any high technology is a PITA! Inevitable.

I'm an old guy, just had my HS 50th reunion. My brother and I spend conversational time wondering why it is that we seem to have far less time than when we were younger. (He like to joke, waking up "I think I'll rebuilt my transmission today." And we would!)

Now, just think how many hours a week you spend, well, on these forums. And learning about each new purchase, app, or service. Or figuring out why something that should work, doesn't, aka "bugs." Part of the reason I do is I'm an old technophile, I used to do short wave radio, built one once that used vacuum tubes, and almost everything from there to here.

It's a two edged sword, friends. I struggle constantly to make sure I own my technology and it doesn't own me. And how about the millions who don't understand that concept?

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I've re-installed the FB messenger app and even tho it does eat up power when in use it's not the trigger for the standby drain also the "Location" service ON won't harm the battery dramatically either. (Had it on all afternoon for a trip to Copenhagen)
wp_ss_20141019_0001.jpg

I'm gonna do an update once/if the problem will reoccur.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20141021_0001.jpg

From what I experience I can confirm that battery saver set to ON during night takes more % than if I would have left it over the night with it OFF. I usually get very low under 0.3-5% per hour but over 1% per hour when having it ON so loosing around 15% this night.
Seems like it does its job bad :)

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
7603d4a802fa470abaad3f7ab4d50a4c.png
So in terms of the gps... Something is definitely wrong. Travelled to a client while using the gps and having the phone on charge. After an hour the battery dropped from 90% to under 60%, this after I had closed all running apps...

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/7603d4a802fa470abaad3f7ab4d50a4c.pngSo in terms of the gps... Something is definitely wrong. Travelled to a client while using the gps and having the phone on charge. After an hour the battery dropped from 90% to under 60%, this after I had closed all running apps...

I have the notification on low charging enabled. Using a budget charger, I always get this message, which indicates that there's too low ampere output.

I suggest you try a dedicated charger.

CB Stuart

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I have an icon and my battery sucks. I have DP, so that could be the issue. But, during a normal school day of six hours, I lose between 40 and 60 percent battery with no usage. This is totally bad because my old 822 can last for days without a charge and no usage and it will only lose about 15 percent in 2 days or so. My icon is only two months old and the 822 is nearly two years old. The other problem is that battery saver does nothing to save the battery. When my phone hits 20 percent abs battery saver turns on, my battery continues to drain at the same rate as before. Will a hard reset work to solve either of these issues?

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the notification on low charging enabled. Using a budget charger, I always get this message, which indicates that there's too low ampere output.

I suggest you try a dedicated charger.

Has nothing to do with the charger. The drain started after I disconnected it from the charger.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I have an icon and my battery sucks. I have DP, so that could be the issue. But, during a normal school day of six hours, I lose between 40 and 60 percent battery with no usage. This is totally bad because my old 822 can last for days without a charge and no usage and it will only lose about 15 percent in 2 days or so. My icon is only two months old and the 822 is nearly two years old. The other problem is that battery saver does nothing to save the battery. When my phone hits 20 percent abs battery saver turns on, my battery continues to drain at the same rate as before. Will a hard reset work to solve either of these issues?

I had the same problem while having class and a factory reset did the trick for me!

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I traveled this month and could notice how good Lumia 930 battery life is.

At least 30 or 40 pictures were taken for day, a lot of Whatsapp, Facebook and Instagram. Bad signal, but 4G ON all the time. 14 hours out and my 930 still ON. Everyday. Only one charge for day. And not even close to turn off (always up to 15%).

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I traveled this month and could notice how good Lumia 930 battery life is.

At least 30 or 40 pictures were taken for day, a lot of Whatsapp, Facebook and Instagram. Bad signal, but 4G ON all the time. 14 hours out and my 930 still ON. Everyday. Only one charge for day. And not even close to turn off (always up to 15%).

Good compared to what? An iPhone? Yeah, compared to that, it's great. Compared to a Galaxy Alpha? Sure, it's great. Compared with other flagship devices on the competition like the LG G3, the S5, the Moto X? No. And I won't even mention the Z3 of course, because that one alone kicks the **** out of all the other flagships in terms of battery.
My Z3 Compact lasts me 2 days of heavy use. My 930 doesn't last me 20 hours IF I use it only lightly. Actually, I take it out of the charger and not even a minute later it's already down from 100% to 99%. And then goes downhill from there. The 920, the 1020, all those had much better batteries.

We should just face it: the 930 will never have a good battery life in it because the size of the battery it brings is pathetic for the phone's requirements.
2420mAh? Really? For a full HD 5" AMOLED phone? My Z3C is smaller than the 920 (yes, 920) and it packs a 2600mAh.

There's absolutely no excuse for the battery the 930 comes with. No excuse.

Patrick Hoque

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Good compared to what? An iPhone? Yeah, compared to that, it's great. Compared to a Galaxy Alpha? Sure, it's great. Compared with other flagship devices on the competition like the LG G3, the S5, the Moto X? No. And I won't even mention the Z3 of course, because that one alone kicks the **** out of all the other flagships in terms of battery.
My Z3 Compact lasts me 2 days of heavy use. My 930 doesn't last me 20 hours IF I use it only lightly. Actually, I take it out of the charger and not even a minute later it's already down from 100% to 99%. And then goes downhill from there. The 920, the 1020, all those had much better batteries.

We should just face it: the 930 will never have a good battery life in it because the size of the battery it brings is pathetic for the phone's requirements.
2420mAh? Really? For a full HD 5" AMOLED phone? My Z3C is smaller than the 920 (yes, 920) and it packs a 2600mAh.

I just want to put my words in here..Mine lasts over 30 hours with little use. The battery issue is still a software problems as far as I'm concerned and yes its not acceptable still.

faxao

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site

Agree on the point: 930's battery not "appropriate" for a flagship device. MS/Nokia should have probably given up the wireless charge in order to accomodate a bigger battery. Just my 2 cents...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss