Disastrous launch of the Nokia Lumia 830 in Canada...embarrasing almost.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey, every one! So I wrote an article on WindowsPhoneCanada.ca about this. Our experiences with the Lumia 830 in Canada has been nothing short of awful.

This is the Link to it: Nokia Lumia 830: Failure to Launch – The disastrous launch of the Nokia Lumia 830 in Canada | Windows Phone Canada

Has anyone else been disappointed with this launch so far?
At least some Canadian stores have it. Better than the rest of the world ;)

Let's face it, half of the issues with Windows Phone sales are due to store sales people just not knowing or caring. An iPhone is easy to sell. Android too. Why learn about another type of phone when so few are sold?

Oh yeah, catch 22! Apps are only part of the problem.

afcor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
So, you equate the mall you went to in your town with all of Canada? You may end up being right in the long run, but I find the hyperbolic headline rather questionable. I think you'd be a lot better off telling a story about your personal situation rather than trying to speak for the entirety of a nation. I get that this website is a direct response to your frustration over your experience with Windows Phone in Canada, but from a journalistic point of view (a field in which I have no expertise!), I think you'd be a little better off avoiding tabloid-esque headlines.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really surprised. Even here in the US, carriers don't have big launches or flashy displays for devices that aren't flagship models.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

Archetype111

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I walked into one Rogers store in Calgary and once the confusion ended about how I was not talking about the Lumia 635 the rep found a 830 in the back and I bought it. Seems like an ok launch to me haha

Exoma

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not really surprised. Even here in the US, carriers don't have big launches or flashy displays for devices that aren't flagship models.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 via Tapatalk

Well, I think it's the fact that Microsoft calls this a "Flagship" device. If this is the kind of launch a "Flagship device" (What Microsoft calls it at least) gets then Microsoft must not really want this thing to succeed.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
What are people paying outright? I paid $450 and think I got screwed - it was a Rogers Plus corporate store. Seriously thinking about returning it and buying one in Vancouver where I see people have paid $399? (I am in Victoria).

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I am with Rogers, no way to win with these darn cell phone companies :( Oh well, haven't actually used the phone as I forgot to swap my sim, but set it up over WiFi. Very nice so far, my 928 is getting rough around the edges literally and figuratively. Will hold me out until a flag ship comes out, I'm saving my "free" upgrade.

neville1355

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen a single advertisement for the 830 in Canada? I know I haven't.

You can't act surprised when a launch is botched when the average persons doesn't know the device exists. The blame is equally on Carrier and Microsoft.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Up here in Canada Windows Phone just can't catch a break.

Microsoft Canada does nothing to push it's own Devices into ads.....I am not kidding....I dare any Canadian to point out a Microsoft Ad that has been on CBC, CTV or City ( they all now go from coast to coast ).

The closest thing to a Microsoft Ad was made by The Source ( What used to be Radio Shack before being bought by Bell Canada), in their "I want that" spots.
A guy in a Coffee Pub sees a guy dressed in a Wolf Outfit typing on a Surface 2.....he says I want that.......the walls slide away and a Source Tech Guru floats to his table and states "We have Tablets of all shapes and sizes to meet your needs", sets a Surface 2 down on the table with a snap on keyboard, then floats back to his Magic Sourse store.

Not once is the name used......Microsoft Surface 2......just tablets is said.

Even in print Flyers by the Major Retail Whores ( Future Shop, Staples, Best Buy) the Flyers have pages of Samsung Galaxy everything, Apple iPhones and iPads, and maybe 1 or 2 budget Windows Phones usually the 53x 63x phones.

Yes Windows PC and Laptops are biggest pictures in the ads, however the section where a Windows Phone is, is the smallest picture and breakdown on the phone.

I mean why even have a Microsoft Canada if they are not going to hustle and work to get the name out there.....however I will bet Microsoft Canada is a Lame Duck company formed mainly for support of major Corporate networks and sales only.

I am thankful I got into Windows CE years ago, as I would never even know it was around if I was just looking for my first smart phone now.

**EDIT** found the ad on Youtube....and my bad SP3 is said at the end.

Last edited:

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I went to several stores in my city(Montreal) to see the Lumia 830 and none of them had it on display. I talked to the reps and they did know about the phone and said several ppl were asking about it. They said the phone was in the back so I couldn't play with it unless I wanted to buy it. Overall I was not disappointed by my experience,I just wanted the see the darn phone lol

T 33

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
It's worse in the UK - having spent my Saturday wandering round local stores (all 4 main carriers, PC World and Carphone Warehouse) I found not one has the 830 (or the 1520) in store. In fact the only way to get any of these phones is by internet purchase.

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree, the launch was botched in Canada.
Not a single advert from MS, not a single carrier even had the phone listed on their web sites, even less so in their ' featured phones' section, which should have been expected for a flagship new phone, affordable or not.
Nearly every store I called before launch had no clue what the 830 was, and most thought they weren't even going to carry that model. I called before, during and after each of the missed launch dates with generally the same results: most were oblivious to the 830.
Really, MS Canada is just a bad joke, an afterthought of MS. They should have bought a few TV spots to promote the phone.
In contrast, not a single soul on the planet was unaware of the iPhone 6 launch and every carrier had it prominently on their front page and on banners in stores.
Not saying MS should be deploying the 830 like Apple does its iPhones, but certainly they could at least put a little effort in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre