Motorola Turbo Charger with Quick Charge 2.0 and Icon on DP

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm awaiting an email from Microsoft, I'm starting to think the stock charger only gives a boost charge...
If so, I'll buy a Motorola Turbo Charger...

chris7191

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
If it's not supported it won't harm anything, there is a protocol / handshake before the charger will increase the voltage. It's possible to tell if it works if you can measure the voltage between red and black wires in a USB cable while it's charging.

chris7191

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I would believe it does support it btw, based on this from an Anandtech review of the Lumia 930:

The Lumia 930, with the latest version of Windows Phone, supports Qualcomm?s Quick Charge 2.0 specification which allows a higher voltage charger to be used for much faster charging. The 930 also supports built in Qi wireless charging.

This device may not benefit from it as much as something like the Moto X does, it depends on the battery itself. The higher voltage is misleading because the batteries are all still 3.8V, but they are using a higher voltage through the USB then using a DC-DC converter to step it down. The only reason they do this is because there are limits on how much current a USB spec cable and connector can safely carry. Higher voltage means lower current for the same amount of power.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I would believe it does support it btw, based on this from an Anandtech review of the Lumia 930:

The Lumia 930, with the latest version of Windows Phone, supports Qualcomm?s Quick Charge 2.0 specification which allows a higher voltage charger to be used for much faster charging. The 930 also supports built in Qi wireless charging.

This device may not benefit from it as much as something like the Moto X does, it depends on the battery itself. The higher voltage is misleading because the batteries are all still 3.8V, but they are using a higher voltage through the USB then using a DC-DC converter to step it down. The only reason they do this is because there are limits on how much current a USB spec cable and connector can safely carry. Higher voltage means lower current for the same amount of power.

We know the 930 supports Quick Charge 2.0, what we're trying to figure out is whether the AC-60 charger is Quick Charge 2.0 enabled.

Nokia UK have told me "yes" but there's nothing in the documentation or on the charger. So, I'm awaiting an email for confirmation.

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
We know the 930 supports Quick Charge 2.0, what we're trying to figure out is whether the AC-60 charger is Quick Charge 2.0 enabled.

Nokia UK have told me "yes" but there's nothing in the documentation or on the charger. So, I'm awaiting an email for confirmation.

According to the specs the ac-60 is rated for 1.5amps. The new Motorola charger is rated for 3.1amps.

I get very quick charging when using 2.1amp chargers for what it's worth and those are readily available on eBay and Amazon.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
If the charger does not list ratings for voltages higher than 5V then it is not Quick Charge 2.0 enabled.

Not strictly true. 5V is the minimum permissible voltage.
According to the email from MSFT, there are 2 types of charger currently certified.
Class A: 5/9/12V
Class B: 5/9/12/20V

So, if you have a Lumia 1520 or 930, you need to buy a Quick Charge 2.0 charger:/

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If the ICON supports it, is there a Turbo charger for the car ? I use wireless charging in the home (bed room, office and even travel one) but, my biggest battery killer is GPS on the phone, and it would be epic if I could actually charge the phone while using Nokia Drive in the car....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss