What should I upgrade to?

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a 928 with DP under contract with Version, and its working fine except not having Cyan update. I'm thinking to buy a new phone off EBay. The only Cyan phone is HTC One M8 but I like Icon for its camera. Which one should I get?

HTC poor camera and lack of support?

Icon but no Cyan and potentially no more support if Verizon retire it?

Any other new worthy WP coming soon?

I realized typing these out made me real sad. Verizon is not really a WP place like everyone said.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
re:

As of right now, I'd probably hold onto that 928 and just wait to see how the landscape shifts, if it still serves its purpose well for you.

If you can't resist upgrading, the Icon is still the best Windows Phone on Verizon, and perhaps in the U.S. as we don't have the 930 on any carriers here. But I have absolutely no idea what impact its early retirement will have on it. Hopefully support and updates will remain.

There are no new flagships for WP on any carrier right now. It seems that we won't see any until 2015, probably when we start seeing the first signs of Windows 10 based Lumias. Personally, I am waiting to upgrade until then. My 928, though not perfect, does everything I bought it for and continues to get a little better with OS updates. I'd love a camera like the 1020, but that's not an option period on Verizon.

So, if you are a Windows Phone fan, my recommendation is to take a look at the landscape and see that nothing newsworthy is happening right now for new devices. Knowing this should afford you some more patience if you feel like your 928 is good enough to run until something newsworthy does come along. I can also say that I'm not going to let Verizon be a restricting factor for me in my next phone purchase either. Yes, Verizon is the best for me, but AT&T is also good where I live and I'm not passing up another camera flagship like the 1020 for the next two years.

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I hear you... although I would be happier if my 928 get the Cyan, since I just bought a Fitbit Flex and need the Bluetooth 4.0 LE feature badly.

Nokia_Lumia

Oct 1, 2014
Visit site
928 is still a great phone. It looks like 928 sold much better than the Icon, and thus it is not retired - I hope we can expect Cyan on it at some point.

928 is a 920 with xenon flash and a more sleek design. As we saw from the benchmarks vs. 830, the 920 is still an equivalent or superior device.

I would hold on to it for a while longer - I know I will, as I see no reason to "upgrade" to the Icon, with the only advantages being slightly better daytime camera performance.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
The Dev Preview broke BT 4 -- and not sure if any of the apps really work with or if devs are coding for 8.1.

(Cyan would fix it on the Lumia's again with 8.1)

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I restored my DP 8.1 back to original 8.0 just to see if it detects my Fitbit Flex, and negative... I am wondering if the BT 4.0 wasn't BT 4.0 LE?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss