930 and google services

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
2 years ago I had an aborted attempt to move to windows phone with the 820

Pity as I really do prefer the win phone interface over iOS and Android.

was during the time google was messing around with GMails sync protocols

plus I think my 820 was a faulty one didn't help.

problem is I'm heavily invested in google services

Gmail email, contacts and calendar

Google drive/ maps and youtube

so whats it like now?

The 930 I handled in the shop seems sweet, and I see we have a google maps and youtube app finally

Using the Nexus 5 atm

2 GMail accounts with instant push notifications

using one of the GMails as contacts and calendar sync

So are the GMail users using the stock outlook app with out issues, or a third party WP app store client ?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Google Maps and Youtube apps we have are third party ones. High quality ones, but not official ones if you're a stickler. But Google is still being stubborn.

Gmail, Contacts, and Calendar work fine for me. The built in client handles my two Google-based email accounts just fine, (WP 8.1 allows As Items Arrive, but I don't use that setting) higher-power users may enjoy "MetroMail" (a better Gmail client IIRC) and I get Contacts sync as well as Calendar.(Settings let you change how often it syncs too)
MS has since updated the sync stuff to handle CardDAV/CalDAV after Google's monkeying. So unless Google starts outright discriminating (won't be surprised) or breaking the standard (less likely IMO), we'll be fine.

My only sticking point is Google Drive. There is almost nothing to handle it. (esp. live collaboration)
On the plus side, OneDrive, Office, and Office.com work together quite well, but its still not "the" Google Drive with its mindshare and stuff.

Hangouts has us relying on IM+ for the most part.

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
never used hangouts, tried it, hated it, installed Chomp sms and never looked at it again.

Yes, Google do seem to want to keep breaking GMail sync for non android phones, dumb move by them imho

switching from Google Drive to OneDrive is no deal breaker.

Will have to keep a look out for a mint 2nd hand 930.

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
xandros9

what about 2 step verification? both my GMail's use this ever since some dodgy Russian hacked my mail GMail 18 months ago, (the IP was from a place near Moscow)

blue1k

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
No hangouts and remember it's more than an SMS service. I have a lot of Google friends who use this to chat in a group hangout. They are not going to drop this because I can't use it. That's the only sticking point with no replacement. Google + which I use a lot is web only. Rest work well: gmail is super quick with push, maps can be replaced with Here Drive.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
xandros9

what about 2 step verification? both my GMail's use this ever since some dodgy Russian hacked my mail GMail 18 months ago, (the IP was from a place near Moscow)

two step verification works flawlessly.
I use the MS Authenticator app to feed me codes for my MS account, Google account etc. Just say you have an Android phone when Google asks during the setup process.

Paul215821

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the stock gmail client, which works fine except it doesn't show folders like social and promotions, it just shows all. Which I don't mind. Otherwise you can use MetroMail, which does support folders.
Here drive comes with turn-by-turn navigation worldwide on the 930, and works at least as well as Google Maps. I haven't missed it at all. Haven't used Google Drive in years, so don't know how well it works nowadays. OneDrive is excellent.

I don't know anyone that actually uses Hangouts, not even the fanboys. So no experience with that.

cirian75

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
even though I have had to return my 930 due to the right side on the screen lifting/glue failing issue

my 2 gmails worked perfectly

email, calender, contacts

Emails came in + / - 3 seconds on my Nexus 5

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon