About to jump the iPhone ship for the 930...

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
It's a good OS, but the ecosystem is nothing compared to Apple's. If you don't need the best and newest apps, you'll probably be happy. Also, you can't buy anything with Microsoft's NFC. Even if you get the special SIM, no one has the machines to accept payment. Just some things to think about.

mazzerooni

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had my iP6 for a month now …I don't know why..I was weak with an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket. I really miss just enjoying my Lumia - I can sell it back to O2 at a hefty loss but I may have to as I find myself getting increasingly frustrated with a device that pretends to be simple but is in fact a very clunky piece of software - WP8 just kills it for ease, looks and functionality - the camera on my old 920 seemed better to me and easier to use - the iPhone took awful snaps of my sons birthday party - memories i can't get back , oh well - you live and learn , so my advice is WP is actually a superior product - don't get sucked back into the hype like I was ..

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Gave the phone another test-try today - definitely not a device for one-handed use. Or simply a question of getting used to?

I regularly use mine single-handed. Gesture writing on the keyboard and the vertical start screen/app list are a big plus. Only when selecting multiple elements via the checkboxes, e. g. in Mail app, I do use my left thumb.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I one hand my 930 regularly. I used to use a little old 3rdgen iPod touch and now whenever I pick it up I absolutely cannot believe how tiny it is compared to my 930. Same with any iPhone before the 6. Holding my 930 in my right hand I can unlock it as I pick it up, scroll through my home screen with my thumb, and keyboard if I need to.

It'll take some getting used to but once you do it'll be as natural and normal as whatever phone you used to use.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
830 is the last Windows Phone. Maybe you should have a look, it is much better in my opinion:
-Better Battery life
-Camera is very good (930 is a not so good, but yes the specs are better)
-lighter and slimmer
-screen is good enough (dont see any differnece to 1080p)
-cheaper
-it is still very fast. Again, dont see much differnece to 930 (apart from games)
-blabla...

well just buy it and try it! I dont know, but in germany you can test devices for 14 days and give it back. Is that different to the US?

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree completely about thee 830.
I had a 930 and sent it back, it had all the "standard" problems, color bleed on the screen, poor batty life, got pretty hot when using some apps, non-replaceable battery, no external storage, big, heavy.
I've had the 830 for around a month now and like it much better. Great battery life, no color bleed on the screen, screen looks as good to me, does not get hot, SD card slot up to 128G, replaceable battery, much lighter, much thinner. I can not tell in difference in speed between the two at all.

:)
Fred

830 is the last Windows Phone. Maybe you should have a look, it is much better in my opinion:
-Better Battery life
-lighter and slimmer
-cheaper
-it is still very fast. Again, dont see much differnece to 930 (apart from games)
-blabla...

well just buy it and try it! I dont know, but in germany you can test devices for 14 days and give it back. Is that different to the US?

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree completely about thee 830.
I had a 930 and sent it back, it had all the "standard" problems, color bleed on the screen, poor batty life, got pretty hot when using some apps, non-replaceable battery, no external storage, big, heavy.
I've had the 830 for around a month now and like it much better. Great battery life, no color bleed on the screen, screen looks as good to me, does not get hot, SD card slot up to 128G, replaceable battery, much lighter, much thinner. I can not tell in difference in speed between the two at all.

:)
Fred

No "Hey Cortana" it's a killer for me.

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
-Better Battery life
-lighter and slimmer
-cheaper
-blabla...

I disagree and think that coming from an Iphone anything less than the 930 is a serious downgrade.

You just have to take into consideration how amazing and speedy the 930's camera will be after Denim and Lumia camera will launch. Add to this the 1080p screen, the 4 HQ mics, 2 GB of RAM and the vastly superior processor.

agentmikeyd99

Banned
Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I switched my family plan's phone from the iPhone too. No major concerns and in fact the software on Windows is far superior to IOS. Regarding the app gap, I side by side compared my iPhone apps to the Windows Store and only my alarm co app was not available (pinned the website to Start screen and all good). I have the Lumia 1020 and the camera blows away any iPhone camera.

You will be very happy after u switch

Last edited:

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
If you are in the US and rely on the carrier system to get your phones, the only thing you will miss about iOS besides the app gap(there are tons of useful ones and games and just as many apps that are just there to fill out the store) is the absolute guarantee that the next flagship or device will be available on your carrier. The carrier exclusive model prevalent in the Windows Phone, mostly formerly Nokia phones, has left a bad taste in the mouths of supporters who either have to buy phones outright through various avenues(I usually went through eBay to buy phones not supported by my carrier), or make the decision whether its worth switching over to another carrier for a phone. If you like to upgrade frequently, you will be at a disadvantage compared to those who are able to basically "lease to own" phones through carrier plans like T-Mobile's Jump plan. Others than that the OS is very stable albeit with the annoying "resuming" issue that is small but annoying. Windows Phone is far more customizable than iOS and the photography community is the absolute best to be a part of. And with Windows 10 right around the corner, I'd say Windows Phone is on track for considerable attention for new users along with improved market share. IF(and this is my personal opinion) they can find a way to overcome this carrier exclusive nonsense that has stagnated growth on the platform. You will really enjoy Windows Phone though.

Ty-C

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
You should ask a different question in situations like these. Instead of asking what you might be missing after the switch, you should ask what you will gain (ofcourse keep in mind the things that you indeed will/might miss). If you ask the question like this, the subject gets a more positive vibe.

I've never in my life owned an Apple product and I (hopefully) never will. I say this simply because I feel the price you have to pay for any Apple device is far too high. In my country I'd be able to buy two L930's for the price of one iPhone 6 (if I pick 64/128GB). Same goes with certain tablets, desktops, etc.

In the end it comes down to what you feel is important for your phone. If you can do all of these things with the L930, I would certainly get it.

YCSJ2980

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
In terms of one handedness, I think how you set up your start screen will help you. For items that I like the live tile, but never need to go into the app, I place the item on the left side of the three columns that I have (you can set up two if you wish also). This way I can see them, but never really have to stretch out my thumb for them. Anything that I use with regularity on the start screen I place on the right hand side or center so my thumb when holding with my right hand makes it easy to get to them. This helps minimize any stretching or scrolling I have to do to locate and reach what I'm looking for, while still enabling me to glance at tiles for items like weather and the such that I still want, but never need to click on. Beyond that though it's just getting used to the machine and personalizing it for yourself. an IPhone at least up until this version was optimized for one handed use, but with some customization and planning you can make the windows phones with larger screens up to the task too.

YCS

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The 930 is a very capable phone and in my opinion the OS is a breeze to use and stable, Getting very impressive battery life out of it. I am happy with my suit of Apps and love the sensorcore feature.

My experience with iOS has been patchy but when I have been forced to use maybe because of my WP background I struggle to use it. So maybe bouncing a question back at those who are iOS users who have jumped ship, is iOS really that much easier to use than WP8.1? I recently saw a comparison by a UK consumer magazine "Which?" who gave the 930 3 out or 5 stars for usability but gave the iPhone 6 5 which I found just plain odd.

mercblue281

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Things you will miss when switching to a WP 8.1:
  1. Wired charging with impossibly uncompatible connector.
  2. Screen size made for Hobbits
  3. KEYBOARD UNFATHOMABLY STUCK IN CAPS
  4. Complete lack of NFC
  5. Pictures that are always mediocre.
  6. Terrible call quality
  7. many other expensive 'features'
Enjoy your new WP 8.1 - the Icon is great but its on the most WP hating carrier so I'm glad to see the 930 coming.:smile:

PBlessing

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Honestly how much you will feel the change depends on what you use the phone for and who you have accounts with. Honestly there is not much of an app gap if any for me.

For example ,finances my bank is there (Wells Fargo) Fidelity investments PayPal and Mint are all major players and on WP8.1

For Music Pandora and I heart radio are both there and I personally like Xbox Music as I have a large collection of music on my Windows 8 PC and can then stream it and my playlists (or radios) on my phone or through the web at work.

One Drive will replace icloud and has great integration into the phones. I have two Lumia phones the 1020 and 1520. The 1520 is my primary phone and I still use the 1020 as my primary camera. Having the ability to auto-upload the pictures via wifi from the 1020 to One drive makes it very easy to use on my 1520 or my desktop when working with Photoshop.

And lastly across the board the majority of the social networking apps are available on WP8.1 and in a few instances (any app developed by Rudy Huyn) will be better than the official app on this platform and IOS or Android.

Really it is about facing this platform with an open mind and realizing that while it is very different from the iPhone it has a good number of equal features and in some cases strengths over the iPhone (cough.. Cortana!)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss