The Lumia 830 is UNBELIEVABLE!

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
2 days in with my new 830 from Fido and I do not regret my HTC 8X at all - quite the contrary! The 830 is excellent on everything so far.

Everything is a bit more snappy, and going from 4.3" to 5.0", with the same resolution makes a tremendous difference in readability. For example, the MS Weather app, when on the wide tile flip side showing the 5 day forecast, was hard to read the numbers; on the 830 this is so much easier to read.

I was eager to see if Star Wars: Commander was faster; it is, but not by that much - that game is still laggy on the 830, but still very playable.

Other benefits :
- Glance, I love it! Always having the time + weather is so nice
- Bigger screen : so much easier to read (ok, maybe my eyes are not what they used to be)
- Double tap to wake, love that too, though that or pressing the unlock button is pretty much the same.
- The wake/on/off button : much easier to hit than the one on the HTC 8X, both by it's location and how it's made (vs. the HTC 8X)
- Easier to grasp and hold comfortably than the 8X, though I sometimes feel my grasp on it to be weaker than on the 8X - this should change over time as I get more familiar with the device.
- Battery life : much better than on the 8X, getting a full day without charging seems easy now, my charger angst is gone.
- Heat : at most, I can get the 830 to be a tad warmish, barely noticeable. In contrast the 8X would get VERY hot playing games like Hexic, SW:Commander, Qonqr, etc. I even resorted to playing on top of an ice pack, back when I was nerd-raging on Qonqr, the 8X would get too hot otherwise.
- Internal storage : having 16Gb changes everything, my 8X had only 8Gb of which at most 5Gb are left for apps and stuff. It was always down to its last 200Mb or so. Now I've piled 1.5Gb of music into my 830 without an after thought...

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't recall anyone bashing the specs. They were bashing the price, and rightfully so.

Oh, people were bashing the specs and price. I still think the SD400 is the wrong choice.

Still waiting for the US price though. Given that a new 930 and 1520 can be got for $450 on Amazon I'd expect it quite a bit lower. Like $299-349 if they want to keep their affordable phrase and sell a bunch. I might be tempted at that level.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Fun thread. Nice to see the L830 has been a nice surprise. I think MS's idea to package it at the announcement as an affordable flagship was the sole reason for the pushback on this phone. Everyone knows the 8XX series is the step below the flagship, with a few trade-offs to get the price down. The L830 hits all the right markers for it to be a top end 8XX series, and a serious improvement over any dual core WP. My L920 is quite a bit more sluggish with 8.1 on it. I am willing to bet the real life performance of the L830 will make me all shades of envious.

Keep the love coming!! I need the good news....

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying out an 830 from Nokia/MS and yes it is a great little phone. Things I don't like is the feedback from the buttons its so weak its almost pointless being on there. I have a 930 but would love yo have had the glance screen, sd slot and removable back cover but also the front camera from 730. I also like the speaker better on the 830 to the 930

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Fun thread. Nice to see the L830 has been a nice surprise. I think MS's idea to package it at the announcement as an affordable flagship was the sole reason for the pushback on this phone. Everyone knows the 8XX series is the step below the flagship, with a few trade-offs to get the price down. The L830 hits all the right markers for it to be a top end 8XX series, and a serious improvement over any dual core WP. My L920 is quite a bit more sluggish with 8.1 on it. I am willing to bet the real life performance of the L830 will make me all shades of envious.

Keep the love coming!! I need the good news....
It sure is sounding good. I can't wait to get my hands on it come Nov 7!

fgaudet

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I have been trying out an 830 from Nokia/MS and yes it is a great little phone. Things I don't like is the feedback from the buttons its so weak its almost pointless being on there.
Agreed, the haptic feedback is to weak and needs to be increased. I hope this can be done via some quick firmware update, independently of the carriers.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Actually, the 830's screen is massively better. It uses an RGB matrix which appears much sharper, is brighter and has better viewing angles and more natural colors.(Of course if you like the AMOLED contrast you still have the option in screen settings)

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah branding may be something that can be changed fairly easily even during production. Quite frankly, it will be cool either way, if I get the last Nokia branded phone, or the first Microsoft one.

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I think most people are angry at the fact that the L830 won't (or supposedly won't) get the "Hey Cortana" function in Denim and that it has the 400 chipset in it. However, I believe for the average consumer and for the OS it's plenty enough to do the job and smoothly I might add.

I'll admit it...I was one of these people that talked down about the L830. But, it's refreshing to see someone that loves it. To some people, it's not about the specs, but the experience itself. Glad that the OP enjoys his experience.

Gaming Life

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I absolutely love my Lumia 830 though I have experienced two problems. One is the inconsistent vibration of the Capacity buttons and the main one is that the text sometimes flicker when you scroll slowly. Try it by opening "Office" and choose "Sample Document." Scroll slowing and you will see the text will flicker a bit. I think this is just a firmware issue and can be fixed. There are issues like the same one for Lumia 920, 925 and 1020. Try it yourself....

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I like my 830 too . I wanted to replace my 810 because nit because it was bad but because no support ( 810 FTW ) I held to to a high standard and it had no issues what so ever . So I bought the 830 and I think this is the best 8xx series phone yet :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers