The Lumia 830 is UNBELIEVABLE!

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Nokia supposedly declared that the big colors for 2014 are green and orange.

Looking at other consumer products from this year, I've been surprised to notice how RIGHT they were about that. Who decides this things!?

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Well the S400 is nothing if not power efficient. I'm glad you like it, OP. I was sceptical about it at launch but everyone is praising it a lot, plus the camera reviews coming in show that it's pretty good at photography as well.

It would be awesome to have as a second phone for me, but the price is a turn off. Here in Pakistan it's equivalent to $450 at the moment. Which is about $70-100 more than I'm willing to spend on a second device. :(

KhawarNadeem

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
fake colour, screen burn, short lifespan.

All of which are completely overblown issues.

1. Image retention isn't an issue, since:
a. the newer-gen OLED displays have much better power efficiency.
b. WP doesn't have too many static elements on screen
c. You can keep the screen brightness lower because of the clearblack display, prolonging pixel lifespan even more

2. Saturated "fake" colours can be really toned down using display settings. Unless professional-level colour reproduction is required, it's not really a big issue. But this one is subjective though.

Solar 77

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I got silver frame with black back and it looks sharp. I would prefer cyan too, but I figure you can replace it if that ever comes out. Don't be fooled by the megapixel count, the camera is very capable. Try to get your hands on one and see for yourself!

Agree, I've been seeing low light shots compared with the iphone 6s and the 830 is the clear winner on that one. Pretty impressive. Hope you could share a picture of the silver frame with the black cover. That would look awesome.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I have owned by 830 for nine days now, actually had a sim in it for six (apparently checking the sim size was too much responsibility for me).

There is little to add other than how fantastic this phone is. I have owned the 710, 800, 900, 920, 928, ATIV S, and this phone. The size of the ATIV S, which was actually my second to last phone, was always my favourite. Unfortunately I destroyed it last December, and picked up an unlocked 928 (I am on Rogers).

All I want (but do not need) and do not have is different colour backs. I wouldn't mind having a few colours to alternate between. Many Bell stores do have accessories, I have found, but you need to ask for them.

Admittedly when I first bought the device I actually had some buyer's remorse and wondered if I should return it. As soon as I actually got the device going that went away immediately, and I have not looked back.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
fake colour, screen burn, short lifespan.

my 810 begs to differ.
1) you can manage the "fake color " with in display"
2) after 2 years of using my 810 I did not have this color burn in and to this day its still looks as I first got it
3) nope ..looks as vibrant as the day I got It

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
What's the problem with the AMOLED screen, apart from no glance? just curious as I am considering buying the 930 this week as a replacement for my 920

No problem, a matter of personal preference. I like the natural colors better. And the rgb matrix opposed to the pentile..

Last edited:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I dont think their first Lumia should come along with nokia's sensible but unappealing number system.when Microsoft makes their first Lumia,it should called just the Lumia ( then Lumia 2, and then Lumia 3) with a cheaper variant (Lumia Mini) and a phablet variant (Lumia+) with all of them on each carrier.
So i dont mind the 830 coming out as microsofts first Lumia but they'll need to change the name to just Microsoft Lumia if they want it to be accepted and ditch those extra numbers, and then future models will be called 2 then 3 then 4,etc.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm loving it so far. I had a 925 before it and its impressing me.

I smashed my 925's screen by accident and I'm terrified of hitting this one. Any nice cases / covers? Any on eBay are horrible

Yes they are. Try www.etsy.com there is a lot of nice hand made stuff on there and anything made for the 930 should fit the 830. They might take some finding and are not always cheap though. Don't forget to search for the Icon too.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Mine's like this:

Lumia Pro - phablet
Lumia Eye - cameraphone
Lumia - flagship
Lumia Mini - compact flagship

Lumia A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y,Z. for the mid range and low end phones lol

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
I dont think their first Lumia should come along with nokia's sensible but unappealing number system.when Microsoft makes their first Lumia,it should called just the Lumia ( then Lumia 2, and then Lumia 3) with a cheaper variant (Lumia Mini) and a phablet variant (Lumia+) with all of them on each carrier.
So i dont mind the 830 coming out as microsofts first Lumia but they'll need to change the name to just Microsoft Lumia if they want it to be accepted and ditch those extra numbers, and then future models will be called 2 then 3 then 4,etc.

I can't see what difference it makes. Samsung Galaxy phones have all sorts of different names as well as the S range, and different names in different countries. Even Nokia do it; after all the 930 is called the Icon in the US. Anyway does anybody really care what the name is, especially if it's mostly just a number?

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Well it's easier for average consumers to remember S5, Z3 than 1520, 930...

Also it's easier for them to distinguish what is the flagship smartphone...

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Well it's easier for average consumers to remember S5, Z3 than 1520, 930...

Also it's easier for them to distinguish what is the flagship smartphone...

Why do people need to remember? It's completely irrelevant. Do you think people decide what they are going to buy just by looking at the name (or number, if you prefer), without looking at their options further?

Most people, if not everybody, look at what is available as well as considering other options before they buy. If you stopped 100 people in the street how many would know the difference between a Samsung Galaxy Ace and a Galaxy Alpha without looking? Or an LG G3 Or G3S? Or a Huawei Ascend P6 or G6? Or even an iPhone 5s and 5c.

A lot of people also read reviews and specs first, as well as check prices so it soon becomes clear what they're looking for, but the vast majority of buyers don't know one phone from another regardless of what it's called until they start looking to buy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro