Surprise surprise! HTC 8X WP8.1 update not in Late October but in Early November

TheBluesOne

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
As posted in Windows Phone User - German site:

Google Translated:
HTC 8X will not get Windows Phone 8.1, HTC 8S

HTC 8X As expected, get the update to Windows Phone 8.1 in the course of November, the HTC 8S is however nothing.

Opposite Dr. Windows HTC has confirmed that the rollout of Windows Phone 8.1 for HTC 8X is to start in November. For the HTC 8S it will not give the update on the other hand - which is a shame, because app installations have been on the device memory card with its tight internal memory to shame. However, it became apparent for some months that the 8S would go empty, HTC had nevertheless repeatedly stated, the 8X get the update, while always silent on 8S or expressed skepticism.

Source :HTC 8X erh?lt Windows Phone 8.1, HTC 8S nicht

The headline should actually read: HTC 8X to get Windows Phone 8.1, not HTC 8S

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info.
From the source of the above article, a 'Dr. Windows' ...this Google translation of same ....

---------------------------------------
Windows Phone 8.1 for HTC 8X comes in November, for HTC 8S not
Published: 10/25/2014 10:39

Good and bad news for users of Windows Phones from HTC, depending on which model you have: The update to Windows Phone 8.1 for HTC 8X is rolled out throughout November. Reader Andy has the experience in the HTC support chat yesterday, I demand it back again at HTC. From there I the update was confirmed, but it added that it may be "end of November" even before the rollout begins.

Contrast, poor customer for owners of HTC 8S: for this device HTC currently has no update plans. It must be assumed that the 8S experiences no longer care at the moment. This is bitter because had just particularly benefited the 8S of this update - with Windows Phone 8.1 can be known apps store on the memory card, so that devices with little memory as just the HTC 8S would significantly upgraded with 4 GB.
----------------------------------

Note: since this inquiry is likely to a German HTC support source/twitter/blog, any extrapolation to the US market could easily differ. But in any event, this is not the most encouraging news. Arrrrgh

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
10-27-2014 chat w/HTC-USA support....
W/re to HTC 8x update to Windows 8.1, in particular to Verizon Wireless (USA)
Text of interest....
----------------------------------
Mike: Are you saying that HTC has already released the update to Verizon and HTC is finished with the release process to carriers on your end?

Thomas B. (HTC support): Yes, it's up to the carriers to set release dates as long as the update has been completely tested and is certified not to cause any issues.
------------------------------------
HTC chat log 10-27-2014-cropRS25.jpg

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, I don't know what Microsoft did since they were the ones to reveal that the issue was with HTC. Then miraculously Microsoft pushed out 8.1.1 anyway, was it them or HTC that fixed it? Who knows, I have it on my 8X now but I'm still hoping that HTC will update the firmware at least once more. It's been a year now since HTC last touched the 8X with any update at all. Shocking.

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Never trust HTC roadmaps! HTC's unreliability regarding updates is what drove me away from that company forever. I used to own an HTC Android device (HTC Hero), infact it was their second Android device ever, came with Android 2.1. When I bought it Android 2.3 was already out and HTC had official roadmaps for an update to 2.3 for that very device. At some point they silently changed that to 2.2 instead but kept pushing the date further and further until at some point they released a half-baked semi-functional update that killed a bunch of phones. I ended up installing CyanogenMod Android 2.3 on that device but eventuelly went back to the stock Android 2.1 because that, too, was a bit messy.

That was the first and last HTC device for me ever.

wshwe

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
In this case the blame falls squarely on Verizon. I wish I could switch to AT&T, but I can't.Shame on Verizon!

Skillzs

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone the update untill today ?? 16 November. In eastern Europe there is no update and i don't know if there will ever be... I'm thinking about installing the DP but i don't know if it will work good, I'm affraid that it will ruin my software... If there is somebody that has it, can he tell,me if it works good and if i update my phone and won't work good, how can i reverse the update ??

aos10

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone the update untill today ?? 16 November. In eastern Europe there is no update and i don't know if there will ever be... I'm thinking about installing the DP but i don't know if it will work good, I'm affraid that it will ruin my software... If there is somebody that has it, can he tell,me if it works good and if i update my phone and won't work good, how can i reverse the update ??
nope
i live in saudi arabia , no update

costas60

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I have updated to DP
no problems my end

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Surprise surprise!
'Late October' >>> 'Early November' >>> 'Early December'
https://twitter.com/Das_Bishop/status/533346068801814528

=======================================
Ryan ‏@Das_Bishop ? Nov 14
@htc @WinPhoneSupport
Any word on 8.1 for the 8x yet. If not im going to have to get a different phone because it needs an update bad.

-----------------------------------------------
HTC ‏@htc ? Nov 14
@Das_Bishop
Which carrier are you on?

-----------------------------------------------
Ryan ‏@Das_Bishop ? Nov 14
@htc
Verizon

------------------------------------------------
HTC ‏@htc ? Nov 14
@Das_Bishop
We're shooting to push the update to Verizon in early December.
==================================

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720