Got my 830 yesterday but thinking of switching to 930 because of camera, wwyd?

fififlowerpots

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I like the phone so far but there seems to be a lot of noise in my pics. Not sure if its something I'm doing but the pics don't seem as clear as sample pics I have seen and pics other users have uploaded here. I have the choice of switching to a 930 but would like to keep my 830 if not for the picture quality I am getting out of mine. I've been using it on auto mostly but have tried changing up the settings to compare. I'm using the Nokia Lense app too. I have a 920 which has served me well for 2 years and the picture quality is definitely a step up, but I'm wondering if I should just stump up the extra cash for the 930. :sweaty:

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I have a 930 and the main reason I got it over the 830 was the camera, and the fact it's price had dropped to near the 830's initial price point.
It's not overly big, if you had the 920 it wont be a problem, the 930 doesn't feel quite as sturdy as the though.
One thing to bare in mind and my other main reason is the fact that the 930 has the more powerful processor and will get the 'Hey Cortana' function when released.

fififlowerpots

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I would but all comparison pics I took are of family members. But having just analyzed both sets I can definitely say that the 830 provides a sharper and clearer image with less noise.

fififlowerpots

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I use my phone to take pictures of my family so if it really is worth paying the extra for the 930 then I think I will go for that one. If it wasn't for the possibly better camera on the 930 I would probably stick with the 830 though. I like the tap to open function and the general look and feel of it. Its smooth and really quick compared to my now elderly 920. I am thinking the Hey Cortana function might trump those aspects of the 830 though. The price drop is also swaying me. I do think they should lower the price of the 830 now so its more in line with the 930's price point.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
The difference between a brand new device and a slightly older makes this strange pricing possible. Not sure where you live, but in the UK the price difference is tiny, especially when you consider the 'higher' spec hardware.
I can see myself using Hey Cortana quite a bit, I already use reminders a lot and the fact I would be able to set them or use any other feature without picking up my phone is a pretty big selling point.

The negative of the 930? It has one just not sure what it is. Looks amazing in orange, nice size. A little awkward to hold comfortably in my opinion, but nothing major.

My old 925 seems 'nicer'

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Had both for a while at the same time, sent the 930 back.
No replaceable battery
No SD storage
Runs very hot if used much, like most chat apps
Bad battery life
Color bleed on screen
Very thick
Very heavy
Very slippery
To me, very hard to comfortably hold.

I have the 830 still, and I think it's a better phone.
I could tell no speed difference between the two.
The screen, to me, is just a nice on the 830
Replaceable battery
SD storage
Stays cool
Much better battery life
Much thinner
Much lighter, but very solid feel
Not slippery to hold.

:)
Fred

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
If you get lot's of noise in your pictures it must be very dark or there is something wrong with your camera, you can always shoot manual with lower ISO and a bit longer shutter. But the 830 does tend to overexpose the image slightly in my experience.

fififlowerpots

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to have to go into my nearest stockist today and do a hands on comparison. I suppose we are all different in what we expect and/or prioritize when it comes to a phone. If I have to have something for 2 years then I had better make a solid decision on this. I use mine to take almost all my photos of my toddler so the camera is most important to me. I would have gone for the 1520 but I read some bad reviews about the camera that put me off.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I've got a 1520 with cyan and dp. The camera is awesome. I use it more than my 1020. It's not the fastest, but the pictures are superb, especially dng. As far as I am concerned, it's the best wp has to offer, especially due to the sd card. It'll last two years - and it's definitely kid proof ;)

Don't dismiss it.

fififlowerpots

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I actually meant the 1020 as opposed to the 1520, all the numbers are making me confused lol.

The 1520 looks amazing but I was under the impression that the 930 is of equal quality without being an actual 'phablet'? I have been coveting the 1520 but would have to switch over to 02 from TMobile to get it which I'm not sure if I want to do.

fififlowerpots

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
My pics have been taken indoors but with curtains open and lots of natural light. I suppose I was expecting a better outcome for semi low light shots than I seem to be getting. I'm now inclined to think that I may have been expecting a little too much from the 830's camera.

fififlowerpots

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
All the positives you have listed Fred are the reasons I would love to keep the 830. It is actually a nifty bit of kit. If it had a better camera and curvier edges, I might think it the best Lumia ever made.

Rick_Air

May 7, 2013
Visit site
All the positives you have listed Fred are the reasons I would love to keep the 830. It is actually a nifty bit of kit. If it had a better camera and curvier edges, I might think it the best Lumia ever made.

Yep, if it had the 1520/930 camera and processor, BOOM!!!! Perfect phone.

panmoria

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
You only see the 830's noise when really zooming in. For real use, such as printing or Web publishing, the human eye can hardly tell any difference. To me the 830's benefits outweigh the 930's camera advantage. But then again, as a backup I have a nice camera...

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If you area switching to the 930. Make sure you use one drive and ensure that you are prepared to delete some stuff when your space becomes full. Since memory is not expandable.

fififlowerpots

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Colin I considered that but the expandable storage isn't really an issue for me.

To be perfectly honest, I'm a mum to toddler (or mom to you guys in the USA) and so the main things I look for in a phone are durability, a decent speakerphone function, a good battery life, something that is big enough that I won't loose it while I am distracted by a tantrum, and as good a camera as I can get my hands on for the family pics and video's I take. My Lumia 920 has been amazing for these things and Nokia have always made durable phones, so now I'm upgrading getting the best camera in my budget is my main concern as all the Lumias seem to meet my other requirements fine. The faster processor and all the other functions are an added bonus for me of course, but as my phone has been my 'on the go camera' since I first got my 920, that is my biggest priority. I hate having to carry a separate camera with me for events and days out.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
The camera would be laggy like the pink one on the Lumia 1020 because of the weak processor.
And no WP sells like hot cakes.

Technically there is no reason for it to be laggy, especially not if they manage processing on dedicated chips. And WP can sell well and infact it has on certain markets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jallymonz