Should I trade in my Lumia Icon for the HTC One M8????

mikeyyyownz

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I need some advice.

I have the Lumia Icon (on Verizon obviously) running the Developer's Preview. It's a great phone, butttt I'm just sick of waiting for the Cyan update. I have a Fitbit that can't sync, as well as other devices that can't communicate with the phone. I know this is a Verizon issue and not Nokia/MS, but it' is so annoying. I have no idea when it will be updated.

I was thinking of maybe Edging up to the HTC One M8. This would solve my real Windows 8.1/Cyan update issue. However, I don't know if I'm doing the right thing.

I love the Icon's camera and the wireless charging. How much of a trade-off am I losing when I go to the M8's camera?

Also, If I Edge up now (I Edged the Icon), then I'll be in Verizon's new 75% to Edge up again contract. Do you guys envision a flagship Windows Phone coming to Verizon in the next 6-8 months? I don't want to switch and then boom, something awesome comes up.

I'd love to get my hands on the 1520, but I can't leave Verizon's service, plus I have 4 devices with them.

Should I wait out the Cyan update? Get the M8 now? Wait for the next great Verizon Windows Phone?

Any specific issues as to not get the M8?

Please help! I don't want to leave Verizon or Windows Phone, but this issue is driving me crazy. My wife's Iphone 6 is looking pretty damn good lately....

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a 928 on Verizon on contract since Dec 13. I was interested in getting an Icon from Ebay, but the lack of Cyan and rumors of retirement really bothered me. So I went to Ebay and bought the One M8 instead. I really like this phone a lot. The phone is nicer to hold, will sync with my Fitbit Flex(yes!), really thin even with a case on, etc. The camera was my main concern, but wow, what a nice camera! My Lumia has higher Megapixel, but the photo always look dull and grainy. The HTC photo looks clear, saturated colors, and pretty clear even in low light. So far, loving it and not a regret yet. This will at least get my mind off Verizon/Cyan update debacle and last until the true Lumia flagship device releases.

ygtgngr

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
A new Microsoft Lumia device will be out in early 2015, fingers crossed. However there is no guarantee that Verizon will get it. So probably as it happened with 920 and 928 Verizon will get a different variant of this phone later than the global variant becomes available. So you have at least 6 months. But don't compare a phone with possible future devices. For example there is no doubt that new Microsoft Lumia will mostly have the same hardware with 1520 (SD800/805, 2GB, HD Screen but probably smaller, min 20 Megapixel Camera), so try to buy something future proof. And don't compare what you have now with what may come out in the future, because it's like there will be flying cars in the near future so I'll wait to buy a car :D

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I traded "up" to the M8 from my icon right after it came out. I was nervous about it at first because it was a full retail price deal for the M8. After the first day i knew I had made the right choice in the M8. The only thing IMO the icon had over the M8 was the slightly better camera. I didn't always say that at first, but once I got used to the M8 camera I was fine with it and think the picture quality is very good.
The form is outstanding and just feels so much better in hand than the boxy slab of the icon form. I never felt that great holding the icon while the M8 is so sweet. The wireless charging I thought I'd miss I don't really need because I always charge all my stuff overnight and the M8 goes all day with some power to spare and the icon always needed some charge pad time by afternoon if not sooner. I ran the 8.1 DP on the icon and really enjoyed it, but the OEM 8.1 on the M8 is so much better and the phone responds so much better. Maybe like the icon might if it ever got cyan. Speakers are of course, awesome, no contest with any other phone I've ever seen (or heard).
I loved using the icon tho, no question about it being a sweet device. But, now I've found a sweeter one. What will work best for you and what you should do is up to your usage and what you need a phone for. I wouldn't trade my M8 for any icon tho. And what is being said about HTC's lack of update support to me is a non issue as the M8 would be fine without any update. It's great as it is NOW. Unfortunately IMO one can't say that about the icon as it sorely needs 8.1 and cyan.
Be sure and check out the cam in a side by side test with your icon at the store. Use the HTC camera rather than the windows camera app. I use pro shot which I like better than the preloaded HTC stuff, but it's 3rd party and the HTC cam is pretty good.
Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:

Bowlegz

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
The M8 is a great device that already has the updated software, the camera isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and you won't regret the upgrade. It's Verizon's flagship windows phone right now, and probably will be for a good while because of the CDMA thing which keeps VZW from getting all of the newest Nokia offerings most times.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually considering the same trade. It definitely seems good, but I just feel this weird, well, feeling inside not doing a Nokia/Microsoft Mobile phone.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The only issue would be the camera. The HTC One camera is alright but you wouldn't be getting as much as the 930.

I'd go with the M8 to be honest just for the expandable storage. If only you could get the 1520 you'd get the best of both worlds.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I had the Icon for a long time and tried the M8 for a while. I loved the battery life and yes, the sound is great. I didn't thing the camera was too bad, especially in outside, daylight photos. Yes, it feels great in the hand, but... for me, it was a little harder to hold for texting with two thumbs. I didn't have a case on it and that probably would have helped. But the size and slippery finish make it a little harder to hold over the Icon. I also really liked that it had double-tap on the screen to turn it on, but hated that it didn't have wireless charging.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
That would be a problem for me I really like the wireless charging and I think the camera will be worked out in software updates.
Posted with my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I know someone is going to get mad because I gave my opinion....

For starters, you asked this is in the M8 forum. Of course, they who are happy with it will tell you they think it is better than the icon :) Just like if you asked in the Icon forum, you'd get the same response. So it will be hard pressed to get impartial responses.

Let me get my bias aside....I use Lumia and only Lumia windows phone. I am slightly considering getting the HTC one m8 for att as I really want a new phone. I've been rocking a Lumia 1520 for nearly a year now and I've grown bored with it. That being said, it is the best windows phone out to date(the icon being a close second) so i'd never replace it with an M8 as my primary phone. I'll probably wind up with a Lumia 830 :) That still is a better phone for me plus it has features the M8 won't have, like Hey cortana.

It's a shame that you can't get the 1520 but you do have the Icon and the Icon is merely a 1520 in a smaller package without glance or a SD card slot. Glance is cool and all but ehh. And the SD card slot is only necessary because the att version of the 1520 has 16 GB storage.

Back to your situation

The M8 is a great phone and beautiful hardware. However to me, the phone itself seems to be a phone that does some things cool but it is not a Jack of all trades phone. Its camera sucks compared to most lumia but it is faster(See what I mean). It does have those great speakers but then again those speakers actually make the phone look less attractive to me. Just my opinion.

I believe the Icon is a Jack of all trades phone. It is a full package phone. Great hardware, Great camera(Actually Superb camera) and Great microphones and wonderful screen technology and of course it's a Lumia so it does have Lumia centric apps and if Microsoft/Verizon manages to work out the updates...which I have faith Microsoft is going to do their best, Cyan and Denim add things that the M8 doesn't have and we are unsure we're getting.

The M8 will solve your Windows Phone 8.1 yes problem but not Cyan since that is Lumia centric.

Personally, you asked if I think a phone is coming out in 6-8 months? Probably so. That's when Windows 10 comes out and I can't really see Microsoft NOT having something being announced. Their last flagship in America was announced in February.

If something doesn't come out within the next 6-8 months, I'd be highly upset simply because that means this OS will be way behind. No flagship in over a year. I don't consider the M8 a flagship...it is a flagship but it is not the Hero device of the Windows Phone line. That's what Lumia is for, imo, hence why most people are inquiring about updated 1020 and 1520 models as THOSE are the type of phones most people want.

For those who say that the Lumia Icon NEEDS cyan....it doesn't need Cyan. It certainly makes the phone better but there are plenty of Icon owners who are happy with their Icons on Windows Phone. They simply want the latest update(which isn't actually the latest now that denim is out) and that is understandable.

My boyfriend has an Icon, which is such a lovely phone, and is happy with it and he can't really see much difference in his Icon over my 1520. He is fine on Windows Phone 8 and enjoys it as such and he is about to try to do DP for 8.1 on the icon, which i'll help him with.

Htc updates

No to discredit the phone but if you're concerned about the Icon not getting updates, I'd also be wary about HTC getting updates.

None of their original Windows phones have 8.1 presently and what's to say that the M8 will be getting any updates or getting in a fast enough time? You very well may be moving to a new phone that has the same problem. HTC has not proven to be 100 percent reliable with their updates for windows phone 8 nor their windows phone 7 line up.

Even the Windows phone 8.1 update keeps getting delayed. Whether that is HTC or the carriers, I wouldn't switch because the phone has 8.1 now. HTC has sold far less phones so it should be easy for them to update the small amount which is probably less than 1 million

What about any future updates? That could be a waste of time/money for you. I'd stay where you are. Keep the icon, stay up to date on all things Windows 10(and Windows phone 8.1) related to our phones and if you haven't heard anything by the end of the year or beginning of the year, then decide what to do.

Me personally...I wouldn't get rid of the icon just yet for an M8.

Personally, I am getting annoyed with Windows Phone in general and I am contemplating getting rid of it and going to the iPhone 6 for good. But I haven't decided yet. Too bad you can't go ATT, i'd sell ya my 1520 if I did :p

But nah keep your Icon...and if you want more unbiased replies, I'd try the general windows phone forum as the M8 crowd can be a bit....defensive over their phone choice and criticisms :)
Of course you could always edge up and get the IPhone(I use Att next, so I am thinking of doing that). Use the iPhone and see what is coming out in 6-8 months. But I wouldn't move to a M8 simply because it could wind up being the same situation.

Learn from the Windows Phone 8x users who have grown disillusioned and annoyed with HTC. I've read their forum and comments and a lot of them are saying "I wish i'd gotten a Lumia". Those are the kind of comments that make me wary about ever using a HTC product.
Hey guys, I need some advice.

I have the Lumia Icon (on Verizon obviously) running the Developer's Preview. It's a great phone, butttt I'm just sick of waiting for the Cyan update. I have a Fitbit that can't sync, as well as other devices that can't communicate with the phone. I know this is a Verizon issue and not Nokia/MS, but it' is so annoying. I have no idea when it will be updated.

I was thinking of maybe Edging up to the HTC One M8. This would solve my real Windows 8.1/Cyan update issue. However, I don't know if I'm doing the right thing.

I love the Icon's camera and the wireless charging. How much of a trade-off am I losing when I go to the M8's camera?

Also, If I Edge up now (I Edged the Icon), then I'll be in Verizon's new 75% to Edge up again contract. Do you guys envision a flagship Windows Phone coming to Verizon in the next 6-8 months? I don't want to switch and then boom, something awesome comes up.

I'd love to get my hands on the 1520, but I can't leave Verizon's service, plus I have 4 devices with them.

Should I wait out the Cyan update? Get the M8 now? Wait for the next great Verizon Windows Phone?

Any specific issues as to not get the M8?

Please help! I don't want to leave Verizon or Windows Phone, but this issue is driving me crazy. My wife's Iphone 6 is looking pretty damn good lately....

Bowlegz

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I think that the M8 will be updated to windows 10 when the time comes, especially since its specs make it damn near future proof. I think that HTC will do right by THEIR flagship product!!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that the M8 will be updated to windows 10 when the time comes, especially since its specs make it damn near future proof. I think that HTC will do right by THEIR flagship product!!

You mean like they've done right by their last Windows phone? Which was the official signature/flagship(The 8x?) I admire your optimism but I am definitely nowhere that optimistic.

While it is highly likely they will update the M8, the question is WHEN and how long the delay will be.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
You mean like they've done right by their last Windows phone? Which was the official signature/flagship(The 8x?) I admire your optimism but I am definitely nowhere that optimistic.

While it is highly likely they will update the M8, the question is WHEN and how long the delay will be.

If it's the M8 on Verizon, you have ask how long will it take Verizon to "approve" the update, if there is one.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I was curious of the same trade.
Although I do like my Icon overall.

One thing I just started using was the Nokia Mix for streaming music now that I canceled my XBOX MUSIC PASS.
So I assume with a HTC M8 you would lose the Nokia Mix service?

The camera is good on the Icon, probably the best quality I have ever had.
However it is slow compared to my old HTC DNA that had a dedicated imaging chip.
It was really fast to launch and take repeated high rex shots (not low rez burst mode).

I heard that the M8 had a dedicated imaging chip too so I assume it will be faster than the ICON to launch and take photos.

My Icon has caused me to miss some shots due to it taking too long to launch.

I do love the two stage dedicated camera button. I would miss that a little if I left Nokia.

The Icon was my first Nokia.
I've otherwise had nothing but HTC since I had my old Windows Palm Treo phones.

HTC Touch, HTC Imagio, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Rezound, HTC DNA.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah, I am on EDGE service now too. Basically you can upgrade after 12 months.
But there is one other benefit. All you have to do is pay off a certain portion of the phone which is done at about 12 months.
So if you have had a phone for about 7 months like I have had my ICON, you just have to pay the difference to upgrade EARLY which could just be 50 to 100 bucks.

So if you really can't wait and you are on EDGE, you can upgrade when you want.
I think you have to turn in your old phone tho. And I just cracked my screen. Not bad but I cracked it. Grr.... :-(

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Well. I went to Verizon today.
I had to go to two Verizon Stores to even find a M8 Windows version out on display.
The first one had ONE Windows phone out. The Samsung ATIV.

The salesman told me to look at the M8 Android and that it was "the same". LOL

I hated navigating on the Android so I went to a store they said had a M8 Windows Phone.

I get there and the M8 was locked up. I guess it had been played with a lot. Took me about 5 minutes to get it to do a reset by holding power + vol up.

Finally got it on. The camera definitely launches quicker and it takes faster repeated shots.
But the app is not as nice as the Nokia App.

I installed PRO SHOT and it was kinda buggy when I played with the manual focus.

I then looked for Nokia Mix Radio.
As suspected it is not available.

So I guess I will pass and keep the Nokia Icon which really is a nice phone.

I didn't get a chance to play with the dual front speakers though. I bet that feature is nice.

On a side note, Verizon definitely does not even try to sell Windows Phones.
The bias is insane. Almost like Google has paid them off or something. Which I wouldn't doubt so they can get those Big Brother spy phones into the hands of more people.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Well. I went to Verizon today.
I had to go to two Verizon Stores to even find a M8 Windows version out on display.
The first one had ONE Windows phone out. The Samsung ATIV.

The salesman told me to look at the M8 Android and that it was "the same". LOL

I hated navigating on the Android so I went to a store they said had a M8 Windows Phone.

I get there and the M8 was locked up. I guess it had been played with a lot. Took me about 5 minutes to get it to do a reset by holding power + vol up.

Finally got it on. The camera definitely launches quicker and it takes faster repeated shots.
But the app is not as nice as the Nokia App.

I installed PRO SHOT and it was kinda buggy when I played with the manual focus.

I then looked for Nokia Mix Radio.
As suspected it is not available.

So I guess I will pass and keep the Nokia Icon which really is a nice phone.

I didn't get a chance to play with the dual front speakers though. I bet that feature is nice.

On a side note, Verizon definitely does not even try to sell Windows Phones.
The bias is insane. Almost like Google has paid them off or something. Which I wouldn't doubt so they can get those Big Brother spy phones into the hands of more people.

It really is shocking that Verizon doesn't ever have the HTC One for Windows somewhere in a store without a trained salesperson telling you to go with Android. The old "follow the money" might just be at work here. I can't fathom them getting an exclusive unless they were hoping it would go away after a few months. Looking forward to AT&T and Tmobile giving them a chance at market share.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb