Assign custom notification tone to whatsapp

Graeme Simpson1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Just got the Lumia 930 which is great, although slightly disappointed on its lack of ability to assign custome notification tones. I know you can do custom ringtones.

I am wanting to assign a whistle similar to the Samsung Whistle to my WhatsApp notifications, but cannot find anyway at all to do it. When you go to Settings > Notification Tones > Tone for message notification it only displays the default Microsoft/Nokia tones built into the phone.

Has anyone found a way around this. Going to email WhatApp team as well to see if they can do anything.

Thanks for looking

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
On your phones main memory/directory(not SD card) create a new folder called "Ringtones". Put any files you want to use as ringtones in that folder. Now check notifications in the settings again.

Hope this helps. Do post back if it works so others can know :)

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
If you don't want to connect to your PC to create a new folder, download an app called "Files" from the store. It's developed by Microsoft, imo the best file manager in the store

Graeme Simpson1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately that doesn't work. Already have a folder called "Ringtone" with the whistle in, but no go. You can use that for Ringtones and assign personal tones to address book entries, but when you go to assign custom notification for say WhatsApp, you only get the default options.

Thanks for responding though

Graeme Simpson1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Both a total waste of time, first one just allowed you to DOWNLOAD a ringtone and add it to the Ringtone directory. The other one will only look for Music on your device and then make a ringtone and again add it to your Ringtone directory.

Thanks anyway

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I didn't get you... I can easily set a custom tone to any app notification. What's the issue to assign a custom tone to Whatsapp?

Graeme Simpson1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
To clarify, they DO add the ringtone/mp3 to the RINGTONE directory, however, when you option Whatsapp, and go to select your own notification tone, you dont get shown the RINGTONE directory, but a seperate directory with just the MS and Nokia Tones. There is no option to select any other Tone list or even a custom tone, so you are stuck with the crap tones that MS and Nokia see fit to supply.....nothing that pricks your ears up when a message comes in.

The following are both screenshots form the area:

wp_ss_20141101_0001.jpg

wp_ss_20141101_0002.jpg

Graeme Simpson1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
as shown, there is no option to assign a custom tone.

On the 930. Select your WhatsApp application. When it opens, click the ... are and select SETTINGS. go to NOTIFICATION TONES. Select "tone for message notification" and the only list I get, is that which I posted the two images of.

This is a UK 930 Lumia on 8.1.1

Thanks

Graeme Simpson1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Just followed your instructions to the letter.

When I go into Notifications and Actions. the only apps in the list that I can assign to are:
Extras+info
Google Mail
Messaging
Phone
Store
Wifi

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Just followed your instructions to the letter.

When I go into Notifications and Actions. the only apps in the list that I can assign to are:
Extras+info
Google Mail
Messaging
Phone
Store
Wifi

Just wait for Whatsapp to send you a notification. It will show up in notifications+actions menu.

Graeme Simpson1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Really getting frustrated now. Installed Melodia. It installs the ringtone and then asks if I want to assign it to a favorite app, say yes, it then takes me to "Notifications and Actions" to select my favorite app. BUT, Whats app is not in the list, only:

Exchange ActiveSync
Extras and Info
Google Mail
Messaging
Phone
Store
Wifi

Really stumped

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
After Whatsapp sends a notification and appears in the notifications+actions menu you can add any custom ringtone to it. :) I don't use Whatsapp so I used Facebook as an example.
Edit: OK, let me make it clear: Only those apps show up in the notifications+actions menu which have sent you a notification at least once. So wait for Whatsapp to send a notification and then you can assign a custom one to it. Later notifications will have your custom ringtone. :)

Attachments

• wp_ss_20141101_0007.png
    wp_ss_20141101_0007.png
    132.5 KB · Views: 6
  • wp_ss_20141101_0004.png
    wp_ss_20141101_0004.png
    75 KB · Views: 5
  • wp_ss_20141101_0006.png
    wp_ss_20141101_0006.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 5

Graeme Simpson1

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

That did it...... Got the wife to send me a Whatsapp message, then went into Notifications and Actions and there they were .... Over the moon now.

Massive thanks bud

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720