Alternative to notification light or glance

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from a galaxy note 2 to the Icon. I relied pretty heavily on the notification light on my android phone to let me know when I had missed calls, texts, had a meeting reminder etc. Since the Icon doesn't have a light or glance, are there any options in WP, or an app that can keep beeping or somehow reminding me that I have missed a notification? I know this is an often discussed topic but a search of older posts didn't find much other than lots of bickering.

​Thanks!

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Glance is the best alternative to notification lights, but since the Icon doesn't support glance, I think you don't have a lot of options. Just have the most important apps on lock screen quick status, like phone, messaging, etc. which would show a number next to the app icon showing unread notifications from the app. And add your calendar app on the lock screen detailed status to show you the next appointment on your lock screen. Whenever you want to know whether you have a new item or your next appointment/task, just unlock the screen. Everything would be there on your lock screen.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
it was an adjustment for me also being on droid for 6 yrs seeing that notification light but not having it on WP

the simple solution was that I just had to get in the habit of remembering to check my phone if for some reason I am away from it for a period of time, the other times I have the phone near me so I hear the notification tone or have it set to vibrate when I have it in my pocket on silent

8.1 with Cortana can be set up to remind you of specific events/calls/texts etc.

We should get double tap to wake with the cyan firmware release so it will be quick to wake up your phone and quickly glance at the important info you decide to display on your lockscreen

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Double-tap is not present in Lumia 930 which comes with Cyan preinstalled... So the Icon might not get it, too.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
My friend has a Lumia 930. He doesn't have double-tap under touch settings. He switched from an Android and I tried to enable it for him but couldn't find that setting anywhere. I have it on my Lumia 1020.
Edit: And it's not present in another friend's Lumia 530.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
strange, I have seen people posting about using double tap to wake here on the 930 section of the forum and I have seen videos on YouTube of the 930 demoing the feature so I assumed that feature was coming with cyan to the Icon :confused:

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I set different sounds for my linked inbox, messaging , and phone, and not miss anything.
I also have glance screen on my Icon with the ( lumia car app ) I am not sure what it has to do with a car, but it make a grate Glance screen at night, it powers down but does not go to sleep.
this picture is showing a lot brighter than it really is. The quick action heading are changeable for your liking.

WP_20141102_002.jpg

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I set different sounds for my linked inbox, messaging , and phone, and not miss anything.
I also have glance screen on my Icon with the ( lumia car app ) I am not sure what it has to do with a car, but it make a grate Glance screen at night, it powers down but does not go to sleep.
this picture is showing a lot brighter than it really is. The quick action heading are changeable for your liking.

View attachment 86409

Not a bad idea. Just keep in mind, that if you are not careful, you can get screen burn in. The Icon is supposedly immune but it never hurts to be careful.

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Not a bad idea. Just keep in mind, that if you are not careful, you can get screen burn in. The Icon is supposedly immune but it never hurts to be careful.
How is the Icon immune? It has an OLED display which is very prone to burn-ins. I am very careful to not keep a static image for too long on my 1020 because of the same reason (OLED display).

deejohdumb

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I have an Icon and initially the notification light was a real let down when I realized it wasn't on the phone. Honestly, I am happy if isn't there because I was always checking to see if the light was there or not just to see some pointless notification. I have all the important apps on the notification tray on the start screen or simply pink down the notification center from the lock screen.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
This is what suprises me even mid range lumias have glance but glance is not for flagship.crazy policy by Nokia nd MS.
From Windows phone

Wam1q

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
This is what suprises me even mid range lumias have glance but glance is not for flagship.crazy policy by Nokia nd MS.
From Windows phone

The only current gen. phones with glance are 830, 1520 and 1020. The 920, 820 and 925 are old. And none of the phones with glance is/was cheap... :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750