Is there a way to remove scratches from polycarbonate body?

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
My brother has white 920, and after some months of usage, there are alot of tiny scratches over it's glossy back, if you look at the right angle. Is there any way to somehow remove that?

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I use a dab of toothpaste with a bit of kitchen towel to remove scratches from the face of my work watch.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
that is going to be difficult. the end result will be a matte spot on the phone. You could go all matte. The top coat on the PC is made glossy through a step in the injection molding process and is a skin of PC that is a little different than the PC underneath (I believe). If you polish this away you may get close to glossy with the right polishing tools but you'd likely always see it.

If you need the right angle to actually see the scratches I suggest you learn how to live with it. You may end up with something that you will notice without carefully looking after you try to remove it. Don't fix it if it ain't broke ;)

Another option is to purchase a new housing for ~$20 on ebay. Not too difficult to replace.

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
hmm removing them i dont have any ideas (maybe add a skin from Dbrands or something like that) to prevent though, do get a case for it and always remember that as tiny as sand can be they can cause lots of damage.

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
There is a product called Displex which is used to polish out fine scratches from polycarbonate / plastic mobile phone screens. I used it years ago on an old nokia phone that had lots of scratches on it's plastic screen, and it made it look like new. It works also on polycarbonate cases, but be careful. If the colour goes right through the polycarbonate you don't have an issue, but if the colour is only coated over base white polycarbonate you have to take care not to place to much pressure on one spot, as the base white plastic will end showing through the coated paint colour. I haven't had any issues myself, though I've used it a lot in the past and had the practice. You can purchase it of ebay, just type in Displex.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6