Nokia Lumia 930 in Calgary - no LTE

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I purchased a Nokia Lumia 930 recently after saying 'farewell' to my Nokia N8 of 4 years. Sniff Sniff.

It says RM-1045_1044 and it is from Hong Kong with the Lumia Cyan update. It says Windows 8.1.

It is unlock and I got a new SIM from my provider and ti worked. Well except for LTE. I do not get it. It says 4g. MMS. internet, calling - all work.

Calgary uses the 2600 Mhz band 7 and 700 Mhz band 4 - so the Lumia 930 should pick up LTE, right?

I am definitely in an area that has it (downtown), but still only see 4g. I have fiddled with my APNs (talked to Rogers, went online) but no luck. Still, no LTE.

I checked my SIM settings and the highest connection speed is set to 4G. Should I see LTE?

I reset my phone. No luck.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mr. V

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
What carrier? Have you checked coverage for exactly your area? For example 2600mhz on Rogers shows on their coverage map as the 150+ darker purple color.

rogers.com/coverage

I had a similar issue until I went to settings >Mobile+SIM >SIM Settings > Network Selection and forced it to search for the network (takes a while) I selected my carrier and then saved it which switched me to LTE. I put it back to automatic and it was fine, seemed like it needed to do a proper search since I switched carriers.

You should see LTE in your connection settings for highest connection speed. I'm not certain if this is reliant on what it gets as a report from the network detection (which was why I had to scan to trigger to LTE)

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
What you see is LTE. The reason it says 4G is because that's what it is called outside of North America. In NA carriers started marketing HSPA+ as 4G, and thus when LTE came around they had to call it LTE to distinguish it from HSPA+ (aka FauxG).
Sent from my Lumia 930 using Tapatalk

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Seldzar,

Are you using a Lumia 930? Does it actually say LTE on the main screen?

I tried searching as well and chose Rogers - nothing ever changed - still 4g. I am downtown

I can't post links yet, but redboard roger com has info which shows coverage for the 700Mhz spectrum, but not the 2600 spectrum in Calgary.
Sadly the Lumia 930 only used the 2600 Mhz band.

Thanks for your input! Appreciated!

Mr. V

Attachments

• Lumia9304g.jpg
    Lumia9304g.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

dengwinters

May 28, 2014
Visit site
What you see is LTE. The reason it says 4G is because that's what it is called outside of North America. In NA carriers started marketing HSPA+ as 4G, and thus when LTE came around they had to call it LTE to distinguish it from HSPA+ (aka FauxG).
Sent from my Lumia 930 using Tapatalk

Exactly this.

In Europe I've seen LTE, L, 4G all meaning the same depending on the model, country and carrier of origin.

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
My phone shows LTE with Rogers.

I have 2G/3G/LTE so it is probably as skinnypig#WP mentions however if you check the rogers coverage map for the dark purple in your area, it doesn't really show up.

Run a speed test with speedtest.net, what do you get? with 2-3 LTE bars i see 60/10 give or take.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My phone shows LTE with Rogers.

I have 2G/3G/LTE so it is probably as skinnypig#WP mentions however if you check the rogers coverage map for the dark purple in your area, it doesn't really show up.

Run a speed test with speedtest.net, what do you get? with 2-3 LTE bars i see 60/10 give or take.

Is your a Malaysian country variant perhaps? I heard they use the LTE name also. Mine is HK cv, same as op and it's 2G/3G/4G.

jfmanzo

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Had same issue with Taiwanese 1520. 2G 3G 4G. Ran a speed test and 4G was absolutely LTE. You can confirm this yourself. I'm also in Calgary but that's irrelevant.

seldzar

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Is your a Malaysian country variant perhaps? I heard they use the LTE name also. Mine is HK cv, same as op and it's 2G/3G/4G.

Yup, Malaysian. You can always just flash it with a different CV firmware if you want, that would get you "LTE" nomenclature but not necessarily the speed.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Mine is the HK variant - 1044.

The speeds I am getting - max of about 25 down/up with the 4g signal up (2-3 bars) and usually the up speed is higher....

I checked the tower map and it shows 2600 mhz towers close to me. (sorry can't post links yet)

Ok speeds, but I will never browse as fast as you!

Thanks for all the input people!

Mr. V

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok, The Nokia Lumia 930 still says 4G, but twice now in different locations I got upload speeds of 45 Mbps and upload speeds of 25 Mbps.

Is that LTE speed, or not fast enough?

Thanks,

Mr. V

tmoore71

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I have a 930, 1045-1044, international version, in Florida on AT&T. I knew when I ordered it that I wouldn't get 4G because it doesn't have the AT&T bands. However, I do get H+ (3.5G). I don't notice that much difference, and I love the phone. Perfect size.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss