Opinions on 830 screen!

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
hey guys! i'm willing to leave my Moto X (2013) and go back to WP for a while (the last Nokia device i had was a Lumia 620 over a year ago) and i'm thinking of getting the Lumia 830...but i'm worried about the IPS LCD screen because i'm SO used to Moto X Amoled screen, and it is a really amazing screen since it uses RGB instead of Pentile!

what do you guys think of 830 screen? how are blacks and whites? are colors washed out or are they more on the lively side? does Lumia Color Profile works well to regulate screen color/saturation? what about the sharpness? it has an insignficant amount of ppi below the Moto X screen, still, i'd like to know real users opinions!

the 730 screen kinda disappointed me because of the Pentile Amoled, also, i think the 830 features are worth it!

what are everyone opinions?

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Well you can control the colour saturation on the 830 but as always that does have side effects (less definition between colours) but it is possible to get a "vibrant" colour profile by manually ajusting it. The already made extra colourfull profile is not very good for any kind of accurate reproduction, it will make the screen "pop" though. The strongest setting isn't to far off from what oleds give but that will give less definition then an oled. On the other hand the 830 can produce very accurate colours.

The blacks can be very good if you let the brightness be controlled automatically, if you push the backlight up manually the blacklevel will also go up but as i have said before, you only need full backlight i direct sunlight and then you won't spot a lighter black at all. For an IPS screen it does have vey good blacks.

The PPI is very close to what you get on the latest iPhone and personally i have no complaints im able to read on fullsize webpages without zooming in, could the display have more pixels? sure, but then you would need a stronger SoC and battery...

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I'll be more succinct. The screen is garbage. I cannot recommend this phone to anyone whohas owned a Lumia that starts with "9" or "10".

Every time I touch the screen, you can see the LCD ripple effect (like if you press on a non-touch LCD monitor).
This is 2014. I expect better than that.

Tellus82

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
I'll be more succinct. The screen is garbage. I cannot recommend this phone to anyone whohas owned a Lumia that starts with "9" or "10".

Every time I touch the screen, you can see the LCD ripple effect (like if you press on a non-touch LCD monitor).
Ok, how the h*ll do you press your screen? 😆 I have not seen one distorsion due to pressure and if i really put my thumb down hard it still causes no visible ripple or distorsion. Either you have a bad unit or your doing it wrong.

niutu

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Like Tellus82 said it's possible to adjust the color profile and get more vibrant screen, closer to AMOLED screen colors, by selecting "vivid" in the settings. In any case I tend to like the 830's screen, but at least in my unit the viewing angles are worse than in 920, not to mention the 925/1020.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup, after selecting vivid in Color Profile and setting Brightness Profile to a bit right of middle, the screen more than solid. It's not my 1520's screen, but it's definitely better than the 920's for instance.

ballanda

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely a step back for those who are used to the (I guess) "unaffordable" flagships (920 and up).
But, Microsoft has chosen not to make a top tier device, compatible with the US LTE bands, that is less than the size of my face. So instead of "affordable flagship", I think of the 830 as more of a: "not too expensive stopgap until I guess Spring 2015, when something better might come along for people who like getting firmware updates within 18 months of their release, and also hate/boycott Verizon".:smile:

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
You clearly have a defective device.
Mine doesn't do that at all.

Fred

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
ehhhh i'm not really used to top-notch FHD screens lol i never even had a phone with FHD hahah

even tho the AMOLED display on the Moto X is great, it is still also HD!

since the 830 screen is bigger, i'll have a loss of about 22ppi but i think that is almost insignificant lol

my real worries are about the fact i'm used to AMOLED punchiness hahahahah but since i can adjust the LCD screen on 830 to smth similar, i guess i'll be ok : )

and i have to say i really love AMOLED screens BUT the pentile amoled of 730 turned me off so i had to go with 830 LCD (930 is way out of my budget here in Brazil)

next week i'll have the phone and then i'll come back to say my impressions!

but from what i understood, with correct adjustments, the screen can be really good xD

and maybe my eyes will hurt less with a less punchy screen because dayum, that's one bad side of AMOLED lol

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I can see a slight bit of light bleed on the bottom between the screen and metal band in the dark from the capacitive buttons. I wish there was a way to dim them or switch to on screen because I hate hitting them accidentally. One of the main reasons I hated playing games on the 920.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I can see a slight bit of light bleed on the bottom between the screen and metal band in the dark from the capacitive buttons. I wish there was a way to dim them or switch to on screen because I hate hitting them accidentally. One of the main reasons I hated playing games on the 920.

Seems like they all have this, going by the comments on here. I have two Lumia 830s in my possession right now, an RM-984 and an RM-985 and they both have it. Both phones are otherwise flawless.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
It's very tiny and barely noticeable, so it wouldn't surprise me if some phones have that 0.5 millimeter gap closed. Consider yourself lucky though.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
The screen is fine.. It's obviously not a quad HD or 1080p screen but it's pretty darn good in my opinion.

I had an Icon and also currently have a Note 4. The screen on the 830 is perfectly fine.

R0BN1F1C3NT

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok, how the h*ll do you press your screen? �� I have not seen one distorsion due to pressure and if i really put my thumb down hard it still causes no visible ripple or distorsion. Either you have a bad unit or your doing it wrong.

Don't see any of those issues either. Replace the phone is your best option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa