Mic not working when using speaker with Skype

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I use Skype a lot and I just noticed this yesterday when I switched to speaker while on a Skype call and the other party can't hear me. I tested on my Lumia 1520 and it works.

Thinking that it could be faulty hardware, I tested shooting video and the video captures sound just fine. I go on to troubleshoot thinking that it might be a software one, so I uninstalled and reinstalled again. No joy. I tried to do a soft reset, a hard rest and the issue still persists. Finally, thinking that the last dp messed up, I did a recovery from NSRT without installing the dp updates, and its still the same.

Anyone here with this problem?

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok, further update.

The mic doesn't work as well on normal phone calls through speaker phone and voice commands while using Cortana.

Probably hardware?

alant7

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem too. However, Hey Cortana and video recording is fine for me. I used the test mode in Nokia Care Suite and it said the mics are good. I'm in the US, so I don't have a warranty. Would it be possible to replace the mics myself?

Alfredo Urquiza

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just got a new 930, UK O2 firmware. It already has upgraded to Denim. My problem with the secondary mic seems to be in speaker mode (phone or skype), and also with the audio recorder and voice message in whatsapp. Video records fine the audio and also Cortana can hear me from 40 cm away. Not very convinced that it's a hardware issue. It's annoying and forces me to use the hands free or earbuds from my 920... We need a solution, MS!

Little update: Video get the mic working only with Lumia Camera app. MS camera app is mute. More to support a software cause, I believe...

Last edited:

BeatKe

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Is there any update? Since some days (I believe before the last update) my lumia 930 microphone stopped to record correctly for whatsapp, lumia camera, cortana etc. The recorded volume is very low. I did hard reset but same problem...

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm having this exact same issue.

Called my daughter on Skype (speaker) and she can't hear me. (Works fine on my 920)

I can't record a WhatsApp voice message.

I took a video and seem to have audio, but remember this phone has 4 mics, right?

Hey Cortana does not work consistently. Sometimes she hears me, maybe 40% of the time.

Haven't made voice calls yet because I'm still waiting for my nano SIM.

Reboot didn't help.

Running Lumia Denim
Running OS version 8.10.14219.341
Firmware revision # 02540.00019.14484.37006
Hardware revision # 2.0.0.2

ConiKost

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same problem with my Lumia 930 (HW 2.0.0.2)..
It has been now replaced by the warranty with a new one and the problem is gone. Seems the second mic was damaged.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I start using Lumia 930 since this February, and recently I discover that the mic doesn't function as expected. When it comes to ordinary phone conversation, Cortana, the mic works fine, but when it comes to music recognition for apps like Soundhound, Shazam, and audio recordings, the mic doesn't pick up anything, couldn't figure out what's wrong with the mic.

My Lumia 930 also installed with OS version 8.10.14219.341, the Denim update was installed first thing after I just bought the phone.

ursmurali

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the Lumia 930 (TW firmware) from Ebay US with no warrenty and got it shipped to India via a friend.

Status of Secondary Mic :

- Phone purchased in Oct 2014 with Cyan update : Working
- Pre denim update till Jan 1st week : Working
- Post Denim update after Jan 1st week : Stoped working in speaker mode in all the apps(onenote,watsapp,skype,sound recorder).

Rather would say recorded sound with very very low volumn, barely would be able to listen if I spoke on top of my voice.
Lumia camera would record sound cleary now and then but never consistant.

Based on the various forum Tried following :

- Soft reset : Did not work
- Hard reset : Did not work
- Flashed latest OS with Lumia recovery tool : Did not work
- Flashed latest OS with MS recovery tool : Did not work
- Updated to Windows 10 mobile : Did not work
- Flashed with UK firmware denim version (For someone it resoved it with UK denim update) : Did not work
- Flashed with TW Cyan (This is how I got it out of the box) : Did not work
- Flashed with TW denim version : Did not work

Not sure if it is a Software and Hardware issue But seems the Denim Software update screwed up something in the mic hardware.
Since I got the phone with no warrenty dont know if Nokia-->Microsoft care will repair it free/for money.

Varun Prabhavalkar

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi there,

Two weeks ago i updated my Lumia 930 with whatever version of 8.1 update which was available. Since then my microphone is having a problem:

1) It works fine in video recording, shazam and cortana
2) While on speakerphone mode during call, it does not work at all
3) While on call, volume is very low
4) Does not work on skype, whatsapp calling.

Can anyone suggest anything? I already tried soft reset but does not work.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
There is a known issue with the 930 and the mic.

Mine is the opposite of yours, Skype works but the others (speakerphone etc) don't! :unhappy:

Black icon

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi, have u solved the mics problem? Kindly let us know because my 930 the same issue and really troubles me while making calls and music detection.

If anyone knows how to solve this issue, u are welcome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa