Broken Glass Replacement

rudypoochris

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I dropped my 1520 and the glass cracked. Surprised since I have owned ~30 phones and never had the glass crack once in my life - thought that was for iPhones only! In either case, I ordered the following replacement screen:

USA New Nokia Lumia 1520 Outer Glass Touch Screen Digitizer Lens Panel Parts | eBay

But all the videos I see on Youtube show fix it guides that replace the entire back plate of the LCD screen.

Does anyone have a guide? How hard of a fix is this? I am an engineer and rather mechanically inclined, but want a sense if this is going to be impossible.

Thanks!

xerose

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I was in the same boat and did extensive research and unfortunately the LCD is glued to the digitizer/glass unlike the Nokia 920. You will need to replace the whole glass, digitizer, lcd assembly or use expensive tools to separate the lcd from the digitizer and glass and risk cracking the lcd screen.

The cheapest I could find was 179.00 for the full assembly part on ebay shipped from china. I decided to just send it to Palco cell phone repair for 219.00 dollars including insured return shipping and let them fix it with a part guaranteed to be OEM. Palco did a great job just like new...

rudypoochris

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
That sucks. I guess the part I ordered is a waste then. I am just going to go to the MS store tomorrow and ask them what to do. If it is more than the $209 on Palco then I'll just deal with it myself. Ridiculous it costs this much to fix a glass face that they raised above the edge of the phone. Whats that about anyway.

jontyrees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm also dealing with the same issue. I was advised by a phone repair guy to use my insurance replacement option at $199, as repair would be more than that. This phone IS an insurance replacement though (for an old 920), and I don't want to pay to replace it with another one. I've never broken a phone before, but this one cracked the first day I used it. I just think it's a bad design, and I'll break it again. Lovely device, but way too fragile, and difficult to repair.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat and did extensive research and unfortunately the LCD is glued to the digitizer/glass unlike the Nokia 920. You will need to replace the whole glass, digitizer, lcd assembly or use expensive tools to separate the lcd from the digitizer and glass and risk cracking the lcd screen.

I replaced only the glass just yesterday to a Lumia 920. I ordered an original Gorilla Glass from https://www.etradesupply.com/. This suplier has both, the Chinese models and the real specced ones. Those Chinese models on there and in eBay are not Gorilla Glass and maybe more reflective etc.

So I went on to change only the glass and digitizer as the LCD was working. It is true that the screen is glued (or its actully tape) together to the LCD, which makes it a little more trickier job. I found out that when heated to 80c the tape starts to give away and the screen is easier to remove. As I dont have a heat gun or a termometer to measure the screens temperature. I put the screen in to owen that was close to 100c. I was succesfully able to remove the glass and replace it. Its a fairly big job, but actually not that big. Phone works 100% now.

At the end I did see a small dust particle in between the LCD and the glass, something I really was trying to avoid, but no biggie Im sure :D

Xeeynamo

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I had the same problem today, where the screen is completely broken (touch part still works). Honestly I won't repair it from Nokia (100? minimum for sure), so I'm searching around internet for a good replacement. I found a piece of 1520 digitizer at 25?, brand Nokia, but how I know if it's the exactly same screen of the original one? There usually differences between the stock one and those available from the internet? For example, the one that the poster's found it's quite different.
NOKIA 1520 DIGITIZER LENS GLASS TOUCH SCREEN NEW FOR LUMIA N1520 BLACK | eBay

EDIT: I forgot to ask this: the replacement operation will break the warranty, right?

socalax

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
What was the exact product you bought that was the Gorilla Screen only? So I am confused how you separated the broken glass from the lcd, is that what you heated up?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion