Lumia 930 Hardware Issues - insane vibrate, screen lift and deteriorating camera button

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Got three problems with my 930:

1. Vibrate has gotten crazy loud and harsh-sounding - high pitched; polar opposite to the delightful low rumble of my previous phone, the Lumia 920
  2. Screen lift in top right hand corner
  3. Camera button has weirdly deteriorated; power and volume rocker are perfect even though I use these buttons WAY more frequently!

Normal corner:
10755031_10152908576306458_2136035992_n.jpg

Comedy corner:
10735756_10152908576801458_762424803_n.jpg

10805120_10152908576641458_1397132370_n.jpg

Perfect button:
10805413_10152908580596458_484599944_n.jpg

Comedy button:
10751820_10152908577836458_1628287706_n.jpg

Anyone else had these problems? Reckon this list of niggles is worthy of sending back for repair/replacement under warranty?

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
The button deterioration I could live with, it's minor (IMO)...but the screen lift is unacceptable for a flagship, or in fact ANY smartphone. Take it back for sure.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Complained on the Microsoft Lumia UK Facebook page, received this response the next day:

"Hi, Robert. Replacement depends on the technician's decision after evaluating your phone. Best to visit the nearest local Nokia Care Point to have your phone physically checked by the Nokia authorized technicians. This could be a better option since the Nokia online troubleshooter page is under maintenance. Click here to find the nearest local care point: Support - Userguides, updates and downloads - Microsoft - UK. Note that physical and liquid damages aren't covered by the warranty. Thanks! - Carlo"

Wow... could they fit any more disclaimers in their response? Not, "I'm sorry to hear you're having issues" or, "I'm sorry our actual fault reporting service is out of order" just, "this isn't covered, that isn't covered - go take it to your nearest Care Point so we can check you haven't damaged the phone yourself"

My nearest Care Point is an hour away. I gave them a call and explained how whatever should keep the screen stuck down is failing on my unit, along with the other two issues. They said there's no glue used in the screen assembly (it's all one piece apparently), they've never seen it happen on any other phone and they'd have to send it to head office for 'further analysis' as it's probably not covered under warranty. They then went on to quote me ?180 to repair.

I'm fuming.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Via Nokia Live chat:

"The [camera button] discolorations are cosmetic. As per the warranty terms and conditions, cosmetic issues will not be covered by the warranty."

Ship me a phone with a s**tty camera button that wears prematurely due to a manufacturing defect / quality control issue and then tell me it's not your problem. Thanks, Nokia.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
My issues have been escalated. I'll keep you posted on any developments.

So far, very unimpressed with Microkia's woeful customer service. With the exception of the last lady I spoke to via Live Chat who was polite and professional throughout, and despite not telling me what I wanted to hear, did actually escalate my case.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Screen lifting is clearly a manufacturing error. Someone there was to drunk to properly test the assembly of the phone. The same as the overheating problem. The way this phone is assembled causes the heat and the screen lifting, it's obvious! From my side, this is one hell of a looking device, especially the white version, but these HW failures will throw many potential customers away from it :( I have sold mine because of three major problems: 2 caused by bad hw assembly and one from OS: overheating, phone not changing GSM bands as it should, it took more than five minutes to find the 2G band in my home where I do not have 3G or 4G and the fact that when browsing on 2G the screen flickers like a mad TV! Other phones have the same display technology and DON'T have this problem, so shame on you Nokia and MS!!

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Good luck, I'm gonna try this next week with my 930 and if that's ok I'll get my wifes one fixed next.

​I'm pretty disappointed with MS at the lack of QC on this product,

Aresjr21

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
​I'm pretty disappointed with MS at the lack of QC on this product,

Nokia, you are disappointed with Nokia because they designed and manufactured this product with help from MSFT. Although I would admit the build quality of MSFT devices were terrible on its first run of new devices, Xbox 360, they do provide a stellar with quality material such as the Surface line.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what to make of this:

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-14%20at%2019.27.29.png

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Nope, MS contains the former Nokia mobile division that made my defective 930, no point in being annoyed with Nokia now is there.
However I am impressed that the service centre today replaced both the screen and metal frame to fix the issue, no questions asked. The tech suggested there was an issue in early models, which is interesting as I'd have thought all issues would have been worked through via the Icon.

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Phone will be back, repaired, tomorrow apparently:

Hi there

Your handset has now been repaired and is on its way back to you.

The tracking number for the delivery tomorrow is [TRACKING NUMBER REDACTED] and can be tracked at UPS.

Should you require any further support, please feel free to call on [NUMBER REDACTED].

For more information on our warranty programme, please visit the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobile/support/manufacturers-limited-warranty/

Kind Regards

[NAME REDACTED]
Support Agent, Customer Escalations and Resolutions
on behalf of Nokia UK Ltd., a subsidiary of Microsoft Mobile Oy

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Fair play - phone received this morning. It's perfect - screen is sitting flush, camera button is blemish free, vibrate is spot on.

Was a bit of a faff to get to this stage, but we got there in the end. I appreciate the guidance from Lemmiwinkles on the 'screen lift' thread or I might not have pushed as hard as I did, and may well have allowed myself to be fobbed off at an earlier stage.

Moral of the story: if you moan enough, they'll eventually fix it.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Fair play - phone received this morning. It's perfect - screen is sitting flush, camera button is blemish free, vibrate is spot on.

Was a bit of a faff to get to this stage, but we got there in the end. I appreciate the guidance from Lemmiwinkles on the 'screen lift' thread or I might not have pushed as hard as I did, and may well have allowed myself to be fobbed off at an earlier stage.

Moral of the story: if you moan enough, they'll eventually fix it.

Well done! The good thing for us - being in the UK - is eventually you can throw all sorts of consumer protection laws at them. Citizens Advice are useful. Last resort you can tweet Anne Robinson and get yourself onto BBC Watchdog (lol).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss