Soft Card and Lumia 1520.3

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Today I went to AT&T to get the secure sim card to use Soft Card. After registering through the app it told me my phone is not compatible. I presume it is because I'm not using the AT&T variant of the phone. Is there a way to "trick" the phone into thinking it is compatible so I can use it?

Thanks.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I just got my "enhanced sim card" as well from att for my 1520.3 and I have the same problem. I sent softcard a message on fb so we'll see what they say...

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had no luck getting Softcard or AT&T to respond about this on Twitter or Facebook. However, I did notice that the app is no longer listed for download. Hopefully they fix it rather than leave it this way.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Just talked to softcard support after bugging them on twitter and facebook, they told me that only ATT branded phones are eligible to use softcard... How stupid is this if I am paying for ATT service on an unlocked phone using the "enhanced sim card" they require for use with the app. When I asked if they had an eta for unlocked phone support they said she had no idea. Just another instance where windows phone is drawing the short straw in the world of smartphone apps. :eck:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Just talked to softcard support after bugging them on twitter and facebook, they told me that only ATT branded phones are eligible to use softcard... How stupid is this if I am paying for ATT service on an unlocked phone using the "enhanced sim card" they require for use with the app. When I asked if they had an eta for unlocked phone support they said she had no idea. Just another instance where windows phone is drawing the short straw in the world of smartphone apps. :eck:
Isn't it more a BYOD problem than a Windows Phone problem? It sounds like you would be in the same boat with an Android or iPhone that wasn't branded AT&T.

But until I see something that says Soft Card can't be done without special carrier firmware (and I doubt that), its another example of the unhealthy system we have in the US.

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have looked online regarding other unlocked phones running either iOS or android and didn't find any definitive proof stating that they will have the same problem. They may very well run into the same problem but it just seems ridiculous that they aren't able to only need the verification from the special sim and not some custom firmware from ATT.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The whole thing in bogus. If the security is in the sim card, then there is no reason why an unlocked phone with the enhanced sim card wouldn't work. Softcard is working with the carrier, so they bow down to the carrier's demands, and unbranded phones don't help them.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Isn't it more a BYOD problem than a Windows Phone problem? It sounds like you would be in the same boat with an Android or iPhone that wasn't branded AT&T.

I have looked online regarding other unlocked phones running either iOS or android and didn't find any definitive proof stating that they will have the same problem.

To quote YOU:
Just talked to softcard support after bugging them on twitter and facebook, they told me that only ATT branded phones are eligible to use softcard....Just another instance where windows phone is drawing the short straw in the world of smartphone apps.

So please don't contradict yourself. If ATT branded WPs can use SoftCard on ATT and non branded WPs can't, the problem isn't with WP, its with the carrier: ATT.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My 1520.3 is Factory Unlocked (naturally) and I'm on T-MoUS. It's not the first Factory Unlocked device I've run on their network and it's not the last one I'll run... I love the freedom of choice and flexibility of purchase options that Factory Unlocked phones allow me.

Every time I run such a device I loose access to T-MoUS WiFi Calling. It's simply a trade off I understand will have to be considered in the purchase equation. There is no T-MoUS branded 1520 for me to run and it was the only upgrade option I considered worthy of moving from a 925 to.

Would I love to have SoftCard working on my phone? You bet. Do I expect that it ever will, seeing how the debut on AT&T went? You bet I don't.

The real answer does lie with Windows Phone and Microsoft; that's where I disagree with HoosierDaddy. Google did an end-run around the carrier bullsnot. Apple rammed their system down the throats of the media, the public, the banks and the retailers and got praised for it. Windows Phone is now behind the curve and SoftCard/Isis has proven to be a fiasco due to the length of time it has taken to get to Windows Phone and the now apparent slipshod implementation.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
My 1520.3 is Factory Unlocked (naturally) and I'm on T-MoUS. It's not the first Factory Unlocked device I've run on their network and it's not the last one I'll run... I love the freedom of choice and flexibility of purchase options that Factory Unlocked phones allow me.

Every time I run such a device I loose access to T-MoUS WiFi Calling. It's simply a trade off I understand will have to be considered in the purchase equation. There is no T-MoUS branded 1520 for me to run and it was the only upgrade option I considered worthy of moving from a 925 to.

Would I love to have SoftCard working on my phone? You bet. Do I expect that it ever will, seeing how the debut on AT&T went? You bet I don't.

The real answer does lie with Windows Phone and Microsoft; that's where I disagree with HoosierDaddy. Google did an end-run around the carrier bullsnot. Apple rammed their system down the throats of the media, the public, the banks and the retailers and got praised for it. Windows Phone is now behind the curve and SoftCard/Isis has proven to be a fiasco due to the length of time it has taken to get to Windows Phone and the now apparent slipshod implementation.

This x100 MS added the wallet feature which has been capable of "Apple Pay" for two years and just left it to die.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I can't even get the app to install on my AT&T Lumia 920. I go to the marketplace link and it says not available on my phone. I am using Straight Talk, but even when I take out the Straight Talk SIM and put in the Enhanced SIM card, it says not available. Do you have to be a registered AT&T user for it to install?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't even get the app to install on my AT&T Lumia 920. I go to the marketplace link and it says not available on my phone. I am using Straight Talk, but even when I take out the Straight Talk SIM and put in the Enhanced SIM card, it says not available. Do you have to be a registered AT&T user for it to install?

​Uh yup. Branded phone + active service.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
yup as AT&T flips on a "wallet" service and maintains the service for their customers. As a matter of fact... I messed up entering my password on a pc (caps lock led seems to be busted) and had to call AT&T to unlock my softcard account.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
yup as AT&T flips on a "wallet" service and maintains the service for their customers.
Apparently not interested in providing it to their customers. Anyone who brings their own phone and pays AT&T far more for service than a phone costs is a customer. Carriers selling phones and selling services should be separate businesses with at least a Chinese wall between. As it is now, its like Shell stations also selling cars but they only work with Shell gas.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
pretty much, and AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile are to blame for Softcard. I'd rather not deal with another company when the phone was always capable, but prevented from using NFC tap to pay.

Kylethekool

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to windows phone (as you can tell by my signature), but can you use Microsoft wallet now that you have a secure sim and unlocked phone? What are the requirements for wallet?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Dallas Gaston

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a 1520 a month ago to replace a 1520 that I shattered the screen on. I am assuming a 1520.3 is the most recent version of the phone? How do I know if my phone is a 1520.3?

Also, since I got my phone a month ago , do you think I have an enhanced sim card or is it something that I definitely have to go in and ask for?
Thanks guys!

Brandon Keenan

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
There is no where in the settings on the phone which specifies which variant of a phone you have but only that it is a 1520 but you can check the box it came in and see if on the bottom it says it is in fact the 1520.3. Also you can check on the back of the box if it has qi wireless charging. Another way to test it would obviously be to place it on a wireless charger and see if it starts to charge. Also if you take a look at the back of the phone itself there should be no metal contact points just above the speaker grille on the bottom which is specific to the regular 1520 from att and is not found on the 1520.3. Regarding the sim, you can try installing and setting up your softcard account and if you do not have an enhanced sim it will come up with an error screen saying to get one. Hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss