HTC One M8 rant and general public confusion

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Somehow I winded up playing defender of the M8 windows. Irony...

We all know my opinion on the HTC One M8(And android rehashes in general). I had the opportunity to spend most of the day using one yesterday at work. In fact, I had to pretty much use it the entire day so I can familiarize myself with it perfectly. While I wouldn't EVER trade my Lumia in for an HTC phone, my opinion of it is slightly less hostile. I still believe the OS deserves more than just a REHASH from these OEMs. But anyway.....

I got reported to my boss yesterday....Because I apparently sold the wrong phone to the customer. This is something about these rehashes especially with basically the same name that has always troubled me and i'll explain why. Simply put, people are idiots sometimes(and I try to give people the benefit of the doubt lol)

This guy comes in and looks at our phones. He then spends a lot of time looking at the M8. Specifically the Windows Phone Version.

He said I like this one "The colors are prettier"(Referring to the tiles). I let him know that yeah Windows Phone has pretty colors for tiles and that you can have backgrounds as well. Notice how I just said "WINDOWS PHONE"

He wanted to know more about the phone so I spent about 15 minutes showing him things. I had to use my Lumia 1520 to show him a more customized start screen(I know showing one phone to sell another lol) on WINDOWS PHONE(again notice the use of words).

He was very enthusiastic and loved it. Several times I mentioned it was a "Windows Phone".

When it came time to give him his phone, he booted it on. I didn't look at the screen itself but I know if it is anything like a Lumia, it boots up with Windows Phone on the boot screen.

He was all happy and what not. I gave him a link to WPC(I always do this with customers) that if he had any questions to ask on the forums here. Doing Promo for Daniel Rubino hehe

He comes back 2 hours later and tells me boss I sold him the wrong phone. He wanted the one with Google Hangouts, Gmail, etc etc

I explained to my boss that he looked at the original M8 briefly and liked the Windows version because of the colors.

His response "I don't even use Windows computers. Why would I want a phone. I told you I wanted the M8"

I responded back "Several times, I spoke about the phone's integration with Microsoft services. Never once did you mention google services and needing them. I even went on for 5 minutes about Cortana's integration with BING."

His response "Well, I don't understand why you would sell this phone. It's obviously inferior because it doesn't have android market or google. You should be fired for selling me a knockoff phone."

My boss(Love him but he does NOT like Conflict) is just standing there letting me basically get told off by some customer and by now I was growing aggravated.

My response: "The hardware is exactly the same as the Android counterpart. So it can't be a knock-off especially since HTC makes both phones. The difference is the software."

I then when on to explain some of the differences in the software(for example: The camera is better than the Android version(though that is not saying much, but I didn't say that) and the battery life is better).

"While I can give you the market place, it lacking google apps does not make it inferior anymore than an Android Phone lacking full Microsoft integration 100 percent does not make it inferior. They excel both at what they do for their specific OS."

His response: Why would they make two phones with two different OS

My response: Same reason I work retail and I dislike it. To make money.

He winded up apologizing after we swapped him out for the android version. He said that we shouldn't put them side by side because it confuses customers. But this was one thing I feared. I feared that general people are going to get confused.

I am not a fan of HTC, but i'd hate for someone to go for the M8 windows because of its pretty colors not fully realizing it is an entirely different OS. Go home and then wind up hating the OS based on their lack of being aware. It was not like I didn't fully explain WINDOWS PHONE to this guy. I said it several times and somehow this guy blamed ME for this.

It is a great win when HTC releases their top hardware for Windows Phone. But that brand identity lies with ANDROID. It really makes Windows Phone, in this case look like a knock-off simply because the ONE brand is synonymous with Android and people like this are not just in the minority. Many people think like that. At least change the branding of it(Motorola does this with their Droid and Non-droid phones).

LOL, on a plus side. I am glad I am quitting soon. Because my boss literally just stood there watching me as some guy is basically shouting at me and had I shouted back, I'd be the one fired :D

Last edited by a moderator:

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
re: The Human Race sickens me .. (HTC One M8 rant)

While it is good to have a unique phone, like Lumia, imo windows phone needs htc one m9, etc, galaxy, etc released both os and at same time to make it big.

agree customer was ***, especially considering you seem to have spent 95% of sale time showing windows.

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I think he went back home and his friends made fun of him for buying a windows phone(droid fan boys) that's why he must have come back to get it exchanged. How can you confuse the beautiful windows phone UI with the boring android UI. Its not possible.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
He probably did like the windows phone better, but when he showed his new phone to a friend (or family) they made him feel like an id10t and he came back and took it out on you. The way I read the hangouts comment it was a line that was fed to him by some Google ****** when he was proudly showing off his new phone and like so many he lets his preferences get influenced by the acceptance of his peers.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

While it is good to have a unique phone, like Lumia, imo windows phone needs htc one m9, etc, galaxy, etc released both os and at same time to make it big.

agree customer was ***, especially considering you seem to have spent 95% of sale time showing windows.
While I strongly am against this, if we MUST have these phones at least let them have their own brandings imo. I still wish for HTC to make hardware like the 8x where the hardware matched the os and you can tell they are cohesive.

This would be even worse if it was a galaxy s device since aside from iPhone are the second most well known smartphones these days.

Dev92

May 24, 2013
Visit site

"Same reason I work retail and dislike it" haha, I'm sure we can all relate to that.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

Pretty much this, HTC started something, having the same phone with two different OS's, if more OEMs followed suite, it would be less confusing, and we'd get more phones, haha.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Pretty much this, HTC started something, having the same phone with two different OS's, if more OEMs followed suite, it would be less confusing, and we'd get more phones, haha.

Or more like "why doesn't my galaxy do what my friends galaxy can do or have that app even though they are both galaxies"

Nah I'd rather stick with the OEM we have now and unique hardware.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

We do retail where I work, although I don't do much myself. Obviously this customer missed something. It sounds like you did your part.

I believe it would have been good, after maybe just a simple explanation of why you sold him the WP version, to just exchange phones for him. It doesn't sound like he had any questions of why he returned, and nothing you could have said would have swayed his decision.

Part of working retail, and lots of other jobs, is that you have unequaled opportunities to make a chump of yourself! Sometimes you have to just let the customer think you're a fool and move on. Remember, "The customer is always right!" (even when they're not!!!!).

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

Somehow I winded up playing defender of the M8 windows. Irony...

We all know my opinion on the HTC One M8(And android rehashes in general). I had the opportunity to spend most of the day using one yesterday at work. In fact, I had to pretty much use it the entire day so I can familiarize myself with it perfectly. While I wouldn't EVER trade my Lumia in for an HTC phone, my opinion of it is slightly less hostile. I still believe the OS deserves more than just a REHASH from these OEMs. But anyway.....

I got reported to my boss yesterday....Because I apparently sold the wrong phone to the customer. This is something about these rehashes especially with basically the same name that has always troubled me and i'll explain why. Simply put, people are idiots sometimes(and I try to give people the benefit of the doubt lol)

This guy comes in and looks at our phones. He then spends a lot of time looking at the M8. Specifically the Windows Phone Version.

He said I like this one "The colors are prettier"(Referring to the tiles). I let him know that yeah Windows Phone has pretty colors for tiles and that you can have backgrounds as well. Notice how I just said "WINDOWS PHONE"

He wanted to know more about the phone so I spent about 15 minutes showing him things. I had to use my Lumia 1520 to show him a more customized start screen(I know showing one phone to sell another lol) on WINDOWS PHONE(again notice the use of words).

He was very enthusiastic and loved it. Several times I mentioned it was a "Windows Phone".

When it came time to give him his phone, he booted it on. I didn't look at the screen itself but I know if it is anything like a Lumia, it boots up with Windows Phone on the boot screen.

He was all happy and what not. I gave him a link to WPC(I always do this with customers) that if he had any questions to ask on the forums here. Doing Promo for Daniel Rubino hehe

He comes back 2 hours later and tells me boss I sold him the wrong phone. He wanted the one with Google Hangouts, Gmail, etc etc

I explained to my boss that he looked at the original M8 briefly and liked the Windows version because of the colors.

His response "I don't even use Windows computers. Why would I want a phone. I told you I wanted the M8"

I responded back "Several times, I spoke about the phone's integration with Microsoft services. Never once did you mention google services and needing them. I even went on for 5 minutes about Cortana's integration with BING."

His response "Well, I don't understand why you would sell this phone. It's obviously inferior because it doesn't have android market or google. You should be fired for selling me a knockoff phone."

My boss(Love him but he does NOT like Conflict) is just standing there letting me basically get told off by some customer and by now I was growing aggravated.

My response: "The hardware is exactly the same as the Android counterpart. So it can't be a knock-off especially since HTC makes both phones. The difference is the software."

I then when on to explain some of the differences in the software(for example: The camera is better than the Android version(though that is not saying much, but I didn't say that) and the battery life is better).

"While I can give you the market place, it lacking google apps does not make it inferior anymore than an Android Phone lacking full Microsoft integration 100 percent does not make it inferior. They excel both at what they do for their specific OS."

His response: Why would they make two phones with two different OS

He winded up apologizing after we swapped him out for the android version. He said that we shouldn't put them side by side because it confuses customers. But this was one thing I feared. I feared that general people are going to get confused.

I am not a fan of HTC, but i'd hate for someone to go for the M8 windows because of its pretty colors not fully realizing it is an entirely different OS. Go home and then wind up hating the OS based on their lack of being aware. It was not like I didn't fully explain WINDOWS PHONE to this guy. I said it several times and somehow this guy blamed ME for this.

It is a great win when HTC releases their top hardware for Windows Phone. But that brand identity lies with ANDROID. It really makes Windows Phone, in this case look like a knock-off simply because the ONE brand is synonymous with Android and people like this are not just in the minority. Many people think like that. At least change the branding of it(Motorola does this with their Droid and Non-droid phones).

LOL, on a plus side. I am glad I am quitting soon. Because my boss literally just stood there watching me as some guy is basically shouting at me and had I shouted back, I'd be the one fired :D

I guess you should have educated the customer beforehahnd. According to another thread that was a cure for Windows Phone returns.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

"Same reason I work retail and dislike it" haha, I'm sure we can all relate to that.

This is why I am a software developer. Customer requirements are in writing, there is no denying what they want because they sign off on it.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

The true solution to the M8 situation is this. They look the same why not run either or on the OS. If he had come back with his **** and bull story just say, wait a moment. Go in the back and flash the Android OS and hand it to him. He would have been happy; your casper milktoast of a boss would have been happy. And your company would have been happy because they would not have messed up two phones. Solution is too simple; won't happen in my lifetime.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site

The true solution to the M8 situation is this. They look the same why not run either or on the OS. If he had come back with his **** and bull story just say, wait a moment. Go in the back and flash the Android OS and hand it to him. He would have been happy; your casper milktoast of a boss would have been happy. And your company would have been happy because they would not have messed up two phones. Solution is too simple; won't happen in my lifetime.

It probably won't happen ever. I remeber feature phone days, where a software update from a carrier store carried a 50/50 chance of success. More than once I walked out with a new phone because they broke it. Changing entire firmwares to something else? Just as risky if not more so. It also violates license agreements.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well between the apple store interview I had recently where the store has a better reputation of character with customers and leadership from management, I hear from my friends who work there....or my upcoming internship should I take it,I'm just glad to not have to deal with my job much longer lol.

My boss told me K should have made sure he knew what he was buying lol. Because 15-20 mins of repeating the word windows phone and teaching the os to the guy wasn't good enough lol this is the same boss who got mad at me for telling him that windows rt could not actually run chrome and adobe suite lol

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site

Well between the apple store interview I had recently where the store has a better reputation of character with customers and leadership from management, I hear from my friends who work there....or my upcoming internship should I take it,I'm just glad to not have to deal with my job much longer lol.

My boss told me K should have made sure he knew what he was buying lol. Because 15-20 mins of repeating the word windows phone and teaching the os to the guy wasn't good enough lol this is the same boss who got mad at me for telling him that windows rt could not actually run chrome and adobe suite lol

Good luck on the possible new job. Is there a MS store close by? You seem to be quite familiar with MS. Maybe that's a possibility also.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Read it now. As far as I can tell, the customer knew what he was buying, he liked what he was buying but changed his mind when he looked in the store for the apps he uses.

As for the same phone different OS thing : I like it. A customer walks in and asks for the m8. You show him/her the Android m8 then you show him/her the windows version with a different name. Saying to the customer its "just as good as an m8" doesn't sound as good as "we actually have two m8's"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte