HTC One M8 rant and general public confusion

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
^^is something windows phone haters say
you cant give credit where due can you

I did give credit, I also explained why the WP version offers better battery life, it can't do as much.

Now it's up to the choice of the consumer whether how much battery life matters to them, but I'm pretty sure barely anyone picks up a M8 for Windows based on it having better battery than a regular M8.

With the right modification you can easily get more out of your Android M8 if you really need some extra juice.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I did give credit, I also explained why the WP version offers better battery life, it can't do as much.

Now it's up to the choice of the consumer whether how much battery life matters to them, but I'm pretty sure barely anyone picks up a M8 for Windows based on it having better battery than a regular M8.

With the right modification you can easily get more out of your Android M8 if you really need some extra juice.
It uses more battery because of sloppy coding!

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Maybe slightly.

But the thing about that is that the Android variant has much more to do.

For one thing for the extra gestures the Android variant has to use the gravity and proximity sensors. Blinkeed is periodically refreshing because it's on your home screen. Oh and the M8 for Android has higher brightness at the preset values of Low, Medium or High.

Even if the Windows M8 in some way had better battery life, Windows Phone would have little to do with it. It would have more to do with the features HTC added in the Android variant.

Again my friend does have an Android M8 and it does last a day or two with regular/heavy usage, even sometimes 4 days(with the extreme power saver mode).

When someone says HTC one M8(Windows) has greater battery life as compared to Android version, he means to say that on 2 basis, first is the stand by time & second is talk time.
I hope you understand the meaning of both. If Android has much more tasks to do that would decrease its battery life even further, so clearly Windows version has a lot more battery life comparatively.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

This clearly shows your disappointment towards WP. If Android version had more battery life, there would be threads flooded here saying that android version is a lot better than Windows version. I know that it doesn't matter much, but if android wins anything against WP, its a very big deal, whereas if WP beats android, you'll just discard it saying that it doesn't matter much, its nothing.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
When someone says HTC one M8(Windows) has greater battery life as compared to Android version, he means to say that on 2 basis, first is the stand by time & second is talk time.
I hope you understand the meaning of both. If Android has much more tasks to do that would decrease its battery life even further, so clearly Windows version has a lot more battery life comparatively.

Standby time is dictated by what a phone is doing when it's on standby. The M8 version keeps the proximity and gravity sensor on even when the phone is locked, it drains quite a bit of extra battery life(especially the gravity sensor).

And from what I've seen the standby difference isn't huge.

The usage time gap is bigger however it is mainly due to Android doing more.

It's like saying a Macbook has better battery life on OSX than Windows 7, I know one has better battery life but I also know that the other can do more.

And what battery comparisons don't take into account is the amazing power saver modes HTC has added on the Android variant, they can easily be used(if needed) to squeeze more battery life when needed.

This clearly shows your disappointment towards WP. If Android version had more battery life, there would be threads flooded here saying that android version is a lot better than Windows version. I know that it doesn't matter much, but if android wins anything against WP, its a very big deal, whereas if WP beats android, you'll just discard it saying that it doesn't matter much, its nothing.

Actually quite the other way around. Windows Phone is often at the bottom of most charts, and whenever it wins something people here go pretty crazy.

Such as when a benchmark said that the 1520 had a better GPU than the iPhone 6, everyone went mad.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Standby time is dictated by what a phone is doing when it's on standby. The M8 version keeps the proximity and gravity sensor on even when the phone is locked, it drains quite a bit of extra battery life(especially the gravity sensor).

And from what I've seen the standby difference isn't huge.

The usage time gap is bigger however it is mainly due to Android doing more.

It's like saying a Macbook has better battery life on OSX than Windows 7, I know one has better battery life but I also know that the other can do more.

And what battery comparisons don't take into account is the amazing power saver modes HTC has added on the Android variant, they can easily be used(if needed) to squeeze more battery life when needed.

Actually quite the other way around. Windows Phone is often at the bottom of most charts, and whenever it wins something people here go pretty crazy.

Such as when a benchmark said that the 1520 had a better GPU than the iPhone 6, everyone went mad.

If you think there isn't a big difference between Android and WP in battery life, then you haven't used the M8 Android vs. M8 WP. I get the same battery life as my Note3, which the Android version cannot come close to. You need to steer clear from benchmarks and go with real world performance.

What you don't understand is, Android doesn't NEED to be doing more. A simple example: It runs logcat 24//7.

That is a complete waste.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
If you think there isn't a big difference between Android and WP in battery life, then you haven't used the M8 Android vs. M8 WP. I get the same battery life as my Note3, which the Android version cannot come close to. You need to steer clear from benchmarks and go with real world performance.

What you don't understand is, Android doesn't NEED to be doing more. A simple example: It runs logcat 24//7.

That is a complete waste.

I don't put my reliance on benchmarks. I actually have a friend with an M8, his lasts for a day or more.

And enabling the ultra power saver mode increases the battery dramatically when needed.

Logcats are useful for pinpointing bugs and so forth, last I checked it wasn't a huge resource hungry thing. It's actually pretty useful to people trying to make Custom ROMs or modify stock.

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't put my reliance on benchmarks. I actually have a friend with an M8, his lasts for a day or more.

And enabling the ultra power saver mode increases the battery dramatically when needed.

Logcats are useful for pinpointing bugs and so forth, last I checked it wasn't a huge resource hungry thing. It's actually pretty useful to people trying to make Custom ROMs or modify stock.

I know what a logcat is, I build Android apps. I do know for a fact that they drain battery and provide a slight performance hit. When the phone is on standby, so should logcat. AFAIK, that does not happen. I can show you hundreds of articles where the GPS service or Google Play Services goes rogue and puts extra strain on battery.

I am happy for your friend's M8, but I can do 48 hours standing on my head without turning my phone into a grey scale power saving mess.

This weekend I did a day easily, tethering to my tablet from early morning to late night.

My Nexus 7 tablet lasts a lot less time, and has a ~1500 MAh larger battery.

Even reviewers have regularly said the WP version has ~20% more run time.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I know what a logcat is, I build Android apps. I do know for a fact that they drain battery and provide a slight performance hit. When the phone is on standby, so should logcat. AFAIK, that does not happen. I can show you hundreds of articles where the GPS service or Google Play Services goes rogue and puts extra strain on battery.

I am happy for your friend's M8, but I can do 48 hours standing on my head without turning my phone into a grey scale power saving mess.

This weekend I did a day easily, tethering to my tablet from early morning to late night.

My Nexus 7 tablet lasts a lot less time, and has a ~1500 MAh larger battery.

Certain phones can have random reboots, wouldn't a logcat prove useful then?

Maybe Android could provide an option to turn logcat off.

But battery life on Android is not as bad as I've seen some articles portray. And as Windows Phone advances into a more functional OS the battery life will probably soon be similar.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The M8 version keeps the proximity and gravity sensor on even when the phone is locked, it drains quite a bit of extra battery life (especially the gravity sensor).

Ehmm... no. The gravity sensor is a virtual sensor, derived from combining data from the accelerometer and the gyroscope, and passing that through a low-pass filter. The gravity sensor doesn't exist as a separate physical sensor, meaning it actually drains no power at all! The physical sensors that provide the input for the virtual gravity sensor to do its thing, actually require very little power (<2mA), and yes, on the One M8 for Windows (or any other modern WP device) those sensors are also kept running at all times (a.k.a SensorCore). If you are looking for excuses you'll have to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Adrynalyne

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
Certain phones can have random reboots, wouldn't a logcat prove useful then?

Maybe Android could provide an option to turn logcat off.

But battery life on Android is not as bad as I've seen some articles portray. And as Windows Phone advances into a more functional OS the battery life will probably soon be similar.

Considering logcat clears on reboot, not as much as you might think.

thesachd

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Ehmm... no. The gravity sensor is a virtual sensor, derived from combining data from the accelerometer and the gyroscope, and passing that through a low-pass filter. The gravity sensor doesn't exist as a separate physical sensor, meaning it actually drains no power at all! The physical sensors the virtual gravity sensor's values are derived from actually use very little power (<2mA), and yes, on the One M8 for Windows (or any other modern WP device) those sensors are also kept running at all times (a.k.a SensorCore). If you are looking for excuses you'll have to look elsewhere.

There are certain applications on the Play Store that can unlock your device from sleep as soon as you pick it up.

They differentiate between the power used proximity and gravity sensors, often saying that the gravity sensor takes up more battery than proximity.

I know that your definition is indeed correct, the gravity sensor is a virtual sensor that combines data from other sensors.

1416242026699.jpg

BuWindowswhat I've read and seen the M8 for Windows keeps only the proximity sensor awake so that the phone doesn't accidentally double tap to wake in your pocket.

The Android variant also keeps the gravity sensor active(combining data from the hardware sensors) because of the fact that it only and only activates gestures when you pick up the phone (not when it's on a table).

And lastly, no the M8 for Windows doesn't keep all sensors awake because of SensorCore, BECUASE IT DOESN'T HAVE ACCESS TO SENSORCORE. THAT'S LIMITED TO LUMIA DEVICES, last I checked.

Attachments

• 1416242066259.jpg
    1416242066259.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 3

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There are certain applications on the Play Store that can unlock your device from sleep as soon as you pick it up.
They differentiate between the power used proximity and gravity sensors, often saying that the gravity sensor takes up more battery than proximity.

I see how you've arrived at your conclusions, but they're incorrect nevertheless.

I'm unsure what you're trying to point out with the second screenshot, but the first one only makes sense for devices that do not use Qualcomm's SensorCore technology (a.k.a. Qualcomm's Sensor Hub a.k.a. Qualcomm's Sensor Engine), or some other SoC's equivalent. I admit I haven't disassembled an HTC M8fW, but if it's the same as the Android version (which I assume it is), then it's also using Qualcomm's SensorCore technology! I don't know how much power the individual sensors on the M8fW draw, but Qualcomm says power draw for the entire sensor array including SensorCore is completely negligible/unnoticeable, even when run 24/7. If that screenshot is from a phone that supports Qualcomm's SensorCore, then it's just wasting user's time, but it would certainly make sense on devices without it.

I'm sure you can find good excuses to justify Android not lasting as long on the same battery charge, particularly once an Android device is loaded up with apps, but this isn't one of them.

And lastly, no the M8 for Windows doesn't keep all sensors awake because of SensorCore, BECUASE IT DOESN'T HAVE ACCESS TO SENSORCORE. THAT'S LIMITED TO LUMIA DEVICES, last I checked.

And lastly, no, although the SDK DEVELOPED BY NOKIA IS ALSO DUBBED "SENSORCORE" , THAT HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THIS:

Excerpt from Wikipedia:
All devices with Snapdragon 800 series chips, including HTC One (M8), Sony Xperia Z1, LG G2, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Nokia Lumia 635 and on, have a sensor hub, the Qualcomm Snapdragon Sensor Core

Can we stop screaming now?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss