Query about the AT&T Lumia 830

psreloaded

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys,

One of my friends is coming from US after three months so wanted to ask her to get the at&t version for me. If I buy the AT&T version of the phone outright paying 450$, will they unlock it immediately?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Possibly, but DO NOT DO IT.
DO NOT.
UH UH.
DO NOT BUY ATT PHONES WITH THE INTENT TO IMMEDIATELY UNLOCK.
(especially if the phone is secondhand, but that is not the case here)

It likely requires six months of service minimum, and even then they have leeway in denying requests.
The potential money saved is not worth the risk of being shafted, buy it factory unlocked or from a friendlier carrier outside of the US.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
No they will not.
I've had 3 AT&T phones, always bought outright and they want 3 months service first.

Fred

Hi guys,

One of my friends is coming from US after three months so wanted to ask her to get the at&t version for me. If I buy the AT&T version of the phone outright paying 450$, will they unlock it immediately?

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Actually AT&T has told me (for all three AT&T phones that I've bought over 3 years) is that the phone has to be active for at least 60 days on the account, not just having had an account for 60 days.

:)
Fred

wpfan2be

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Question, if you unlock an AT&T phone, do you still have to wait for updates to be released by AT&T or you can get them directly from MS as for example a 1520.3 does. Thanks

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Question, if you unlock an AT&T phone, do you still have to wait for updates to be released by AT&T or you can get them directly from MS as for example a 1520.3 does. Thanks

The current unlock status of a phone does not affect the update source.
That is dictated by the phone's firmware. An ATT phone with an ATT ROM means it will get updates from ATT regardless, whether unlocked or not.
Flashing it to, say, an international ROM will not unlock the phone, but it does change the update source to be direct from Microsoft/Nokia.
Example: My 920 is AT&T locked, but flashed on a French ROM. (complications led to LTE loss, but if I had more time, i might put in the effort to fix it.) meaning updates are unimpeded.

If your friend buys it now, they'll probably have to pay for a few months of service, so don't do it. Buy unlocked, that will be easiest.

raqball

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I always pay full price for phones, I have an AT&T account and I've never once been denied an unlock. I think you get 5 unlockes a year. So far this year I've unlocked an iPhone and a Note 4. I have not submitted my request for the 830 yet but I don't anticipate and problems.

On the iPhone it was smooth. On the Note 4 I had to call because I was getting an IMEI not found error via their online tool. The rep submitted a ticket and had me fax the receipt. The next day I had the unlocking code for that phone..

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Another reason you don't want the AT&T variant: as mentioned above, you can flash a phone to a different firmware in case the firmware you're on is slow getting updates. Except that AT&T does "something" to their ROMs ever since the 1020, it is impossible to flash them to anything else.

An unlocked, unbranded device is almost always preferable to a carrier ROM.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Full price and no contract price are the same. My bad for the improper wording..

I thought they would be different because I was told that six months of service was required before any consideration of an unlock would be taken, so I thought that they might have subsidized the no-contract option too, like how the GoPhone 520 was $50 or so.
Hmm.. but that appears to not be the case, fortunately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99